Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 07-05-2022, 11:29 PM   #101
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
How many TBHers really know what gun/s are best for home protection? What percent of us have actually shot at someone breaking in to our house?
I know what is best for me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2022, 11:54 PM   #102
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Thanks for the input fellas, from some anyway, have a good evening. Tomorrow we will discuss those really fast cars or something else as enlightening.
I don’t get to comment???

More for fun and not a serious debate but…..

I carried an auto Galil (some would call full auto) in its standard 5.56 starting in 1992 so I saw no need for an AR platform. Some time around 2004 (probably shortly afterwards but I can’t remember) I got an AR. I was exempt from the ban so time frame was not critical.

The soft tip rounds that I carry will not stop in drywall, auto windshield glass, car doors, 3/4” plywood, etc. Maybe some different rounds have weak penetration but if somebody believe that as a universal statement, I believe they are mistaken.

A shotgun is certainly a great self-defense weapon up close, assuming there aren’t many adversaries, particularly if they know what they are doing. A lone crackhead? Sure. In truth the odds of using a firearm in defense of a home is extremely rare. The likelihood of having multiple and knowledgeable attackers is probably similar to the odds of winning a lottery. But if you believe in “what if”……

I am never sure why a question is ever asked about any item such as “do you need” or “why”?

I have friends that love to bass fish. Some of them have bass boats that cost $75,000 or more. If you count the cost, tax title and license, interest on the loan since they usually cannot pay cash, insurance, storage, gasoline for the boat and then for the truck to drag them at least 1 1/2 the 2 hours to the east Texas bass lakes, it probably costs $120,000 over 10 years. That is $1000 a month whether they fish or not. if they can fish twice a month without fail for a decade, it’s going to cost them about $500 for a weekend trip. That’s just for the boat and not counting if they have to rent a hotel room or if they buy a small lake house to stay in. THEN!!!…… most of them catch release and don’t even keep fish.

The only point is, I don’t ask them, why are you doing that or do you really need to do that? Certainly they don’t need to fish. It is a time killing recreational activity. If they were set on fishing there are water side locations or if they just had to have a boat, could spend $10,000 on a nice jon boat and catch just as many fish. Why should it matter to me what they have fun to spend their money on?

In truth, most of the things we have in life we don’t need. I guess all you really need for a comfortable life is a roof over your head and food in your stomach.

Why do we go there Bownanza?

Why ask why?
tvc184 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2022, 11:57 PM   #103
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
I don’t know what’s best but I know what I’ve got at hand.
A .380 pocket pistol is better than pointing your finger and going bang.
tvc184 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 12:54 AM   #104
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

An AR-15 set up for night huntin with a 30 round magazine in it is the best hog huntin rifle you can own. I can only shoot 5 rounds at best in a bolt gun. I've personally killed almost an entire group of hogs by myself with an AR. Less felt recoil means you can stay in the scope and keep shooting until they're all dead or have run off.

Great prairie dog rifle too I might add. Probably just about any varmint where a quick follow up shot is needed or where less loading and more shooting is preferable.

Pistols suck for defending yourself. Most people shot with a pistol live. I'd much rather have a shotgun or semi automatic rifle if I knew for a fact I had to defend my life or the lives of people around me. I'd want whatever is going to be the easiest to shoot under stress and put the threat down with as few shots as possible. This one I can't speak from experience on but I know I can shoot a rifle or a shotgun way more accurately when I'm not stressed out or getting shot at. So I'd imagine it'd be the same way if I were.

As for being over powered in a house or whatever, you don't just throw random bullets into a rifle and shoot deer so I would hope most people pick a bullet that will dump its energy into the target or anything that's not a target before passing through. For example DRT makes a bullet for all kinds of guns that fragment and essentially turn into fine metal powder so that you're not killing everything in your neighborhood with pass throughs or stray bullets. Bullets that fragment and such. Choose the wrong bullet for a pistol and it'll do the same thing as not choosing the right one for a home defense rifle. A ball round will go through both sides of a car so sheetrock won't stop one for sure.

Last edited by okrattler; 07-06-2022 at 01:25 AM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 02:52 AM   #105
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
I bought one when Obama was " in charge". Tricked it out like crazy, never ever shot it, sold it a couple years ago. I just never felt the need, home protection is shot gun and a pistol. Not sure what needs to be done, but something has to, in a bad way.
I would like to hear more about what you’re thinking.

Something has to be done in a bad way? Do you mean, the federal government needs to limit the ability of the civilian to own an Ar/AK platform rifle?
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 03:14 AM   #106
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I didn't for a simple reason. That platform was developed for one purpose. To kill people. And my young person history told me I didn't need one to hunt with and I was very deadly with bolt style rifles. Plus I liked to bowhunt more.
Then I got on a lease where multiple times I had multiple coyotes in range and two was the most I seemed to get real shots on. Same with big sounders of pigs. Then I realized the platform could work for me in ways I was too prejudiced to see for years.

I still understand the fundamental basis for this versatile platform and have a dedicated unit for just that purpose as my PDW.
But my standard field units are set up for riding the cart and targets of opportunity from coons and skunks to coyotes and pigs.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 06:35 AM   #107
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Not a fan of anything multi shot...Bow/Crossbow/TC Encore/410 snake charmer..is all I use..I do own a pump 12ga/Marlin3030/357 Highway patrolman..they were my DADS..My take on it is if I cant Kill it with 1 shot ...I need more PRACTICE....If we at WAR thats a diff thing and I will reconsider
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 06:45 AM   #108
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
I don’t know what’s best but I know what I’ve got at hand.
I meant to quote Tom also. "I know what's best for me"

RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #109
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Again not really discussing what a government needs to tell you or not tell you. Just asking, if the AR was not available would you still be able to hunt and protect your family?

I prefer eating prime ribeyes and lobster but I don't need them to live everyday and if I only had Choice Sirloin and Potatoes I would prob still live life the same, but just have a little more money in my pocket.
I think you already know the answer to that.
We don't live in a society that JUST provides what you NEED.!!!
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 07:07 AM   #110
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Seminole co OK, Navarro co TX

My thoughts as well, I hope I never find out but if I do it’s gonna be what I have easiest access to what I think myself or someone in my house will be most efficient with, if that need arises.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 07:13 AM   #111
7sdad
Ten Point

I had one before the boating accident back in 2020.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #112
fishfeeder01
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb Co

i was stopped years ago by a game warden as i entered my property. Nice warden,
he asked how i was doing, going hunting. i said i am good, i have my daughter with me and we are going deer hunting. He said ok, he saw we both had glocks on our sides,
one M4 Variant, two 308 rifles. he asked what we shoot with the M4. I told him that was my only daughter, we hunt 30 miles north of The Border, South of Encinal. He understood and went on his way.
fishfeeder01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 08:13 AM   #113
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
Not a fan of anything multi shot...Bow/Crossbow/TC Encore/410 snake charmer..is all I use..I do own a pump 12ga/Marlin3030/357 Highway patrolman..they were my DADS..My take on it is if I cant Kill it with 1 shot ...I need more PRACTICE....If we at WAR thats a diff thing and I will reconsider

I am at war with pigs…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 08:21 AM   #114
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Never wanted to hold another plastic rifle after I got out of the Army.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #115
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I prefer my single shot that can hit a pie plate at half a mile away.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 01:45 PM   #116
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jerone4Co...00948164972546
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 02:15 PM   #117
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Hahaha…love it!
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 02:37 PM   #118
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
My thought is in a pressure situation in tight quarters give me something with a bigger target coverage than a single small caliber bullet. You may only get one shot and I want to make it count.

This is a fallacious argument. Most if not all shotguns at across the room distance haven’t had time to open up the pattern. Many of them have patterns ranging from golf ball size to baseball size at short distance.

Buckshot will penetrate several layers of sheet rock as will all pistol rounds. Many times the 5.56/.223 rounds tumble and fragment when encountering Sheetrock and have less chance of severe over penetration. Using a ballistic tip style bullet makes them break up even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #119
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

The MSM, who hate AR's and AK's, did more than anyone to popularize them. To answer your question, yes, my home defense gun is an AR-15. It's light, performs extremely well at short range, holds a lot of ammo, and it's modular.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #120
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
Practicality has absolutely nothing to do with “Shall NOT be infringed”. With that said, I personally prefer the Mini14 over the AR for all practical purposes. I will also add that I prefer politicians to be honest and to uphold their oath to The Constitution of these United States of America and because of that, the Armolite Rifle and many like it have become more essential today for every red blooded citizen than at any other point in Our Nations history, period.

Micheal

No response? Hmmm…

Micheal
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #121
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
No response? Hmmm…

Micheal
I wasn't commenting on every statement but tried to catch most. But like I said to others, I'm not debating the 2A, I stand by it and will go down swinging with everyone on here IF that moment ever comes. I'm focused on the AR or similar rifles. I don't remember them being that big of a deal pre-2004. Maybe it was just my household. My dad owned ALOT of guns throughout my childhood. But we never had many semi auto guns whether it was pistol/rifle/shotgun. Semi auto just wasn't our thing. Still isn't for me really even tho I own some.
Was there a big uprising of patriots when the AWB was started in 1994? I was just graduating high school and poor so it wasn't a big deal for me. I couldn't have bought one if I wanted to. But according to some on here yall would have been fighting in the streets if that same thing happened today. Maybe there was and I just missed it since we didn't have social media like we do now. We didn't have any "assault type weapons, to quote the Libs" but our house was safe and we could kill all we needed with a Remington 7400 or a 700. Also betting 70% of people on this site that own one now(myself included) bought them when they gained popularity after 2004.
This isn't a life or liberty topic, just trying to have a conversation about something without getting too serious. Just asking if the AWB that was enacted in 1994 was still in place would we be any different today than we were pre 1994?
Old 07-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #122
Huntsman27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

Like the OP, I am a fairly practical gun guy. I own a variety of handguns, shotguns & rifles. I also thought the AR was kinda cool and felt i would enjoy owning one to plink with but didn't feel I had a need for one to hunt or home protection. in 2013, shortly after the Sandy Hook shooting I bought one because I thought they may get banned again. I didn't know much about them at the time and still don't but was very surprised by its accuracy and have shot a few critters with it since.

To answer your question, nothing in my hunting & shooting past would not have been possible if I had not owned an AR15. But I continue to own it and plan to keep it not because of my past but because of what could happen in the future - a coaching buddy of mine always use to say never get beat in the equipment room, I doubt I will ever really find myself in a situation where an AR15 is truly needed but I don't know that for sure.
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #123
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
This is a fallacious argument. Most if not all shotguns at across the room distance haven’t had time to open up the pattern. Many of them have patterns ranging from golf ball size to baseball size at short distance.

Buckshot will penetrate several layers of sheet rock as will all pistol rounds. Many times the 5.56/.223 rounds tumble and fragment when encountering Sheetrock and have less chance of severe over penetration. Using a ballistic tip style bullet makes them break up even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
To be honest I have never tested this. Being a contractor I have plenty of sheetrock around. I'm gonna take a couple sheets to the ranch and test a 9mm,45, 223 and 00Buck at about 10-20 yrds and see what we get. I'm betting your correct on penetration tho. I would think that 00B on a short barrel would spread more than a golf ball at 10yrds.
I'll check these out and report back.
Good food for thought there. I think as far as accuracy goes tho I'd still rather be shooting a baseball size pattern than a .22 size bullet.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #124
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post
Like the OP, I am a fairly practical gun guy. I own a variety of handguns, shotguns & rifles. I also thought the AR was kinda cool and felt i would enjoy owning one to plink with but didn't feel I had a need for one to hunt or home protection. in 2013, shortly after the Sandy Hook shooting I bought one because I thought they may get banned again. I didn't know much about them at the time and still don't but was very surprised by its accuracy and have shot a few critters with it since.

To answer your question, nothing in my hunting & shooting past would not have been possible if I had not owned an AR15. But I continue to own it and plan to keep it not because of my past but because of what could happen in the future - a coaching buddy of mine always use to say never get beat in the equipment room, I doubt I will ever really find myself in a situation where an AR15 is truly needed but I don't know that for sure.
You don't need insurance until you don't have it
Old 07-06-2022, 03:59 PM   #125
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where invited

Quote:
I wasn't commenting on every statement but tried to catch most. But like I said to others, I'm not debating the 2A, I stand by it and will go down swinging with everyone on here IF that moment ever comes. I'm focused on the AR or similar rifles. I don't remember them being that big of a deal pre-2004. Maybe it was just my household. My dad owned ALOT of guns throughout my childhood. But we never had many semi auto guns whether it was pistol/rifle/shotgun. Semi auto just wasn't our thing. Still isn't for me really even tho I own some.
Was there a big uprising of patriots when the AWB was started in 1994? I was just graduating high school and poor so it wasn't a big deal for me. I couldn't have bought one if I wanted to. But according to some on here yall would have been fighting in the streets if that same thing happened today. Maybe there was and I just missed it since we didn't have social media like we do now. We didn't have any "assault type weapons, to quote the Libs" but our house was safe and we could kill all we needed with a Remington 7400 or a 700. Also betting 70% of people on this site that own one now(myself included) bought them when they gained popularity after 2004.
This isn't a life or liberty topic, just trying to have a conversation about something without getting too serious. Just asking if the AWB that was enacted in 1994 was still in place would we be any different today than we were pre 1994?
Any different, as far as the level of reported mass shootings or what We would actually own? Evil has always existed and is being fueled with every passing day. As far as would ownership be different today, who knows.

Growing up we did not have an AR because we were too broke to own anything “that new”. Around ‘92 I got one and a Norinco SKS. As I recall I picked both up and close to 1k rounds for around $500. 94 didn’t phase me because enough friends and family own(ed) anything we would ever want or need.

Micheal
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #126
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Any different, as far as the level of reported mass shootings or what We would actually own? Evil has always existed and is being fueled with every passing day. As far as would ownership be different today, who knows.

Growing up we did not have an AR because we were too broke to own anything “that new”. Around ‘92 I got one and a Norinco SKS. As I recall I picked both up and close to 1k rounds for around $500. 94 didn’t phase me because enough friends and family own(ed) anything we would ever want or need.

Micheal
It didn’t bother you then because someone else already had an “assault weapon” but the government told you that you couldn’t buy specific weapons. Nowadays we would all go bizurk if that same bill was to pass again. Patriots would be screaming mutiny, but I don’t remember it being that big of a deal back then and guessing you didn’t either. Maybe it was just my age at the time.

When I say “would WE be any different”, not talking about society as a whole because like you said mass killings have been happening for centuries. I think the media and libs are pointing fingers at todays guns when they shouldn’t be. I’m saying me and you, would WE be any different today if we still couldn’t buy an AR 15 because the AWB that was started in 1994 was still in place? In your example we would still be shooting our buddies AR they bought in the down low or those cheap SKS or mini 14 and be completely happy with our 10round mag. Because we wouldn’t have been hit by the AR craze.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:41 PM   #127
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
It didn’t bother you then because someone else already had an “assault weapon” but the government told you that you couldn’t buy specific weapons. Nowadays we would all go bizurk if that same bill was to pass again. Patriots would be screaming mutiny, but I don’t remember it being that big of a deal back then and guessing you didn’t either. Maybe it was just my age at the time.

When I say “would WE be any different”, not talking about society as a whole because like you said mass killings have been happening for centuries. I think the media and libs are pointing fingers at todays guns when they shouldn’t be. I’m saying me and you, would WE be any different today if we still couldn’t buy an AR 15 because the AWB that was started in 1994 was still in place? In your example we would still be shooting our buddies AR they bought in the down low or those cheap SKS or mini 14 and be completely happy with our 10round mag. Because we wouldn’t have been hit by the AR craze.
I was too young to know a difference in 1994. But I bet I'd be thinking how cool it'd be to own one if I couldn't but just like anything else I've never owned I wouldn't know for sure what I was missing. I'd be wondering what I was missing out on. Is my life better for owning a 30 round magazine and an AR-15? Unloading on hogs as they run for the hills makes me happy so I think so. Pulling the trigger 10 times and shooting half as many wouldn't make me near as effective therefore I wouldn't have as much fun. Some of the best times I've had with friends was behind an AR-15 so if they were banned now I'd for sure know life could be better.

I've never left Texas after shootin hogs and varmints and thought "Man I wish I wouldn't have shot so many bullets. We just killed way too many hogs." That's like having too much money or seeing too many boobies. That's not even a real thing in life.

Last edited by okrattler; 07-06-2022 at 06:45 PM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #128
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

“Was there a big uprising of patriots when the AWB was started in 1994?”
“Nowadays we would all go bizurk if that same bill was to pass again. Patriots would be screaming mutiny, but I don’t remember it being that big of a deal back then and guessing you didn’t either. Maybe it was just my age at the time.”

Actually there was a lot people pitching a fit but it didn’t get much airtime but among the gun community there was a lot of hatred for the government. The reason it wasn’t a bigger deal is because it was a ban on new firearms not those already in possession. There’s a big difference between stopping new sales and outright confiscation. There were a lot of lawsuits at the time but I don’t believe they really got anywhere. I believe the reason it was not renewed was that the data showed that it made little impact. But when it was lifted, Katy bar the door, sales took off. “You don’t know what you miss till it’s gone.”
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2022, 11:48 PM   #129
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

This may interest you

SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2022, 03:56 PM   #130
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
The “fact” that most people’s lives wouldn’t change that much, has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Need has absolutely nothing to do with rights.

This right here. Cannot be more clear.
Besides...After I double tap...its a nice feeling knowing I have 28 more rounds if need be. I have owned ARs and AKs since the 80's
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 07:04 AM   #131
trophy8
Pope & Young

I’ll preface this by saying your post 100% coke across as “nobody NEEDS an AR. Justify why y’all love them”.

I see your comment that you aren’t arguing the 2A. I’ll answer your why comment in a second but I believe in the 2nd amendment and I should be able to walk into my local gun store and buy a full auto anything. Belt fed machine guns. Whatever. With zero caliber restriction. And as many suppressors as I want and walk out with them that day.

As for my personal use for high capacity rifles? I hunt with them. A lot. Yes not having one and a 30 round mag would hinder this. Big group of hogs, a few dudes with ARs in various calibers with mags loaded to the gills. A serious amount of hogs get hit and killed. Any other weapon platform would reduce numbers by 50%+.

I run suppressed SBRs. 10.5” or shorter. They are far more handy. Quieter. And I can smoke a bunch of critters fast. Way more compact and easy to maneuver.

I wasn’t old enough to buy any before or during the AWB but I can’t imagine that I wouldn’t have got them then either.

Amongst other weapon platforms, I do have a short AR for home defense loaded up and ready to roll if needed. As well as pistols and shotguns. Do I NEED 30+ rounds for that? Hope not. And I hope I never have to fire even one shot. But I know how many I CAN shoot.

The problem isn’t guns. You know this. We all know this. It’s the people. You’d be shocked at what’s in civilian hands legally. Mini guns mounted to trucks, m2 machine guns mounted on jeeps and hummers. Loads of machine guns of all kinds. True military hardware. All in civilian hands. As it should be. Heck I know folks that own tanks with the main guns that work and they do shoot them. It’s not for anyone to decide who should own what legally. ANY weapon platform.

You’d be surprised how many uses an AR has once you really know how to use them.

Stop asking about what guns people should own. And ask why lunatics are not held responsible BEFORE they do stupid crap. Latest shooter had a ton of warning signs. Same as most all before him. Family, friends, and law enforcement failed to shut that down. And those red flag laws can be easily manipulated to rob lots of law abiding citizens of their weapons when it gets abused by people who “don’t know why you need those things”.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 07:35 AM   #132
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

I've owned 3 ARs. First was bought on a whim back in the late 70's. Was offered to me @ a price I couldn't refuse. It was stolen outta my house soon after. Second was a few years later, just because I missed shooting them. Fun little guns. Shot a few deer with it. It was also stolen. About 5 yrs ago my son gave me a stripped lower and upper and internals package for Christmas/birthday. Built it into 6.5 Grendel with the intent to deer hunt with it. Has had 100 rds. through it to break it in and tune it up. Haven't shot it since. Have since got a .223 upper for it also.
I did get a Mini-14 back in the late 80's cause I was tired of the AR's gettin stolen. It is dressed up in an Archangel stock set and looks "scary". I still shoot it! "assault rifles are Probably not the best for home defense and I have other weapons better suited if needed. But the AW's are there if necessary.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 07:52 AM   #133
Radar
Pope & Young

What exactly is a "AR/AK style rifle" ? Like a Ruger 10/22 that has a plastic stock and a 30 round magazine? A Marlin Model 60 with a black painted stock? A Remington 870 with a magazine extension? A Glock with enhanced sights and a shoulder stock?

I have never been able to understand the generic name "Assault Weapon", seem like a broad definition of any type of firearm to me.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 07:56 AM   #134
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Quote:
To be honest I have never tested this. Being a contractor I have plenty of sheetrock around. I'm gonna take a couple sheets to the ranch and test a 9mm,45, 223 and 00Buck at about 10-20 yrds and see what we get. I'm betting your correct on penetration tho. I would think that 00B on a short barrel would spread more than a golf ball at 10yrds.
I'll check these out and report back.
Good food for thought there. I think as far as accuracy goes tho I'd still rather be shooting a baseball size pattern than a .22 size bullet.
There are numerous YouTube videos on this. One guy has done numerous tests even going so far as to build interior and exterior walls to test. His name is Paul Harrell. A little goofy, but he does test a lot of variables. I watched them years ago, but if I remember correctly, he found #4 buck to have the highest damage to the target with minimal penetration through walls.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #135
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
Here’s part of the issue. YOU might not want it. Some do. We either all succeed together. Or fail together. Easier to defeat a divided army. The folks that don’t want us to have guns don’t want us to have ANY. Not just ARs. And some of us shoot lots more than 1 shot at critters at a time and has nothing to do with proficiency.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #136
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
What exactly is a "AR/AK style rifle" ? Like a Ruger 10/22 that has a plastic stock and a 30 round magazine? A Marlin Model 60 with a black painted stock? A Remington 870 with a magazine extension? A Glock with enhanced sights and a shoulder stock?

I have never been able to understand the generic name "Assault Weapon", seem like a broad definition of any type of firearm to me.
Assault weapon. If I hit you with a rock then is that rock an assault weapon?
You were assaulted so it must be. Same with my fist. It's all a bunch of political gibberish.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 09:22 AM   #137
QuackHunter
Ten Point

My bedside guns are a suppressed glock 19 and a suppressed 11.5” sig MCX. It’s not really about being “less safe” however there was no noticeable decrease in crime rates during the time of the assault weapons ban. And that’s the whole point of it isn’t it? Especially in the past few years as we’ve seen riots and buildings being burned with talks of taking that violence to neighborhoods that’s when you’d want a rifle and 30+rd mags. Just my 2¢. I used to shoot a lot more when ammo was cheaper and it wasn’t uncommon to shoot 500rds between 9 and 5.56 on a given range day.

QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 09:35 AM   #138
RR 314
Pope & Young

Didn’t own an AR type but sure as heck rolled with the HK91s prior to 1994! Took one down to Webb county and recall everyone from BP to ranch hands wigging out!
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top