seed to soil contact with UTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seed to soil contact with UTV

it looks like i may be out of a tractor come planting time this fall and usually do 1.25-ish acres in plots. will have my zero turn to get grass down and a spray rig to kill off before planting. any success with the pull-behind type tillers? i have a ranger 900 but it looks like that groundhog rig will tear the bottom out of it - any success with these?

What are you trying to plant? If small seeds (cereal rye or smaller), I have had great luck with a broadcaster up front and a drag harrow (teeth up) behind. Had a field of chest high goatweed that I sprayed in august, planted elbon rye 2nd weekend in October via method above. Caught a good rain the week after planting and it took off.

Other option is a cultipacker https://www.packermaxx.com/shop/MOST...4HD-p189307781

If you can be flexible about waiting for rain in the forecast, going with a no till method will generally work better for weed control than turning soil will.

Comment

i like that cultipacker idea too - i bed i could rig a lawn roller as well

Comment

I've used a homemade version of what you have attached and it worked well. The ground wasn't rock hard at the time though. If you spray and then disc I see it working well. I have used a real heavy drag harrow in the past with success also, it just took more time.

Comment

Plant and mow

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            Plant and mow

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
            This.......broadcast seed then mow the vegetation afterward. The clippings/debris will encapsulate moisture needed for germination and protect the seed while it comes up to a sustainable size plant/grass.

Comment

Working...
            X