Anyone Paint Their Protein feeders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Paint Their Protein feeders?

Wanting to paint one of my protein feeders. I started noticing a little rust and wanted to put a fresh coat to help prevent anymore damage. Any of y’all paint your feeders? If so, which paint do you recommend? Any other tips greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bringing this up… need to paint one of my krivomans. I’m thinking of renting a paint sprayer and doing it that way.
    Last edited by TheHammer; 01-05-2022, 10:43 AM.

Comment

wouldn't think you would need to unless you wanted it to look cool on camera or if metal and you wanted to protect from rust that is inevitable at some point.

Comment

I would think a wire wheel on a grinder to rough up the surface and get rid of any rust would be step 1. A good metal primer, and then exterior paint and you would be golden.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
          wouldn't think you would need to unless you wanted it to look cool on camera or if metal and you wanted to protect from rust that is inevitable at some point.
          Mine has some rust spots that need coating. If you don’t paint over the rust at some point you’re going to have a hole in the feeder.

Comment

Paint all of our blinds and feeders. Helps protect them from moisture because they’re all metal. We just use a flat green metal outdoor paint, nothing fancy just to help protect them.

Comment

I just used rattle cans to touch-up the rusted spots on my 1500# feeder.

Comment

I did. Heavily with a Can of metal paint. Same reason my feeder barrels are camo’ed. So they kinda blend into the trees and prevent rust.

But I’m the same guy who wants all green t posts.

Comment

Clean surfaces good and Use a good oil based house paint... Use multiple coats and roll it on.. Nothing better in my opinion..
                  I paint my fiberglass stands and feeders with it.. Long lasting.

Comment

Mix 1 part Rustoleum Rusty metal primer (reddish), and one part gloss hunter green, and it makes a nice army green color (NOT current olive drab, but the darker old military green). You can roll/paint it on, or thin with a little acetone and spray it on (generator + air compressor + $10-$20 Harbor Freight spray gun). It will come out as a satin finish.

Use the RUSTY METAL primer (NOT regular primer). It protects better and does a better job.

I’ve painted one of my Krivoman’s with this mix, and will do the other when it warms up.

Here’s a thread with some different recipes:

CabelaÂs is out of the Parker’sBass Pro is out of the Hunter’s brandTakes 4 days for the Duralux Marine OD green to ship to Home DepotI’ve got a narrow window where the wife and kiddos are out of town so I can paint the boat (I know the temps aren’t ideal right now, but I’m not looking for...
                    Last edited by Abctx; 01-08-2022, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I did mine after Christmas when the weather was warm. Wire brushed the rough spots used a roller, paint brush, and 2 coats of rustoleum. Feeder was about 20 yrs old with original paint. I'm happy with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PF1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	24673809

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner97 View Post
                        I did mine after Christmas when the weather was warm. Wire brushed the rough spots used a roller, paint brush, and 2 coats of rustoleum. Feeder was about 20 yrs old with original paint. I'm happy with it.

[ATTACH]1076684[/ATTACH]
                        Looks awesome. I plan to do my protein feeder this year.

Comment

We make most all our feeders and paint all of them inside (if possible) and out. Use a very thick coat of Rust type oil based paint for the base. Put it on super thick with a roller to where it’s almost running. This takes a while to cure, but once it does, it last for years. We go over that with rattle can matte or flat colors for camo which really is more for fun but gives an extra layer of protection. We paint the insides of the ones we can as well because the salt and moisture in the feed is just a recipe for rust.

Someone once said, “metal is taken from the ground and spends its whole time out just trying to get back in.”
                          That’s the truth with deer feeders. I spend a lot of time and money building them right and a little more effort on paint will make them last so much longer. Good re-paint every 5-7 years is a good idea too.

Built this one in 2006 and it’s still looks like it did then:

Inside another:

Some more:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

��

Comment

Working...
                            X