Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
Ishi&Elvis
Six Point

Default Anyone else shocked

with their new property appraisal? The value of my home went up $35,000. Funny thing, I did not make any improvements and no one around me built new homes. I live way out in the country and I am not sure how the value of my home grew so much in the past year. I will have to protest, again. Dang politicians.
Ishi&Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
Charrison
Four Point

Hunt In: Moran

Last year I got hit w/ a $160k raise... all in land! No improvements. Fought it and got it knocked down to 80, but they are crooks. They know they can only go up 10% a year on structures, but no cap on land value. Stayed the same this year.

Last edited by Charrison; 04-17-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Charrison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
Rush2Judge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood County

23.3% increase in value in one year. They are crooks.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
kingranch
Ten Point

id be happy w that..
mine jumped 85k, zero improvements
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Gclyde28
Eight Point

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that the value of the land did not increase at all in the past year? Real estate is booming all over and everyone knows it aint getting any cheaper. I guess a better question would be, could you sell your land at the appraised value, or even more? I dislike my property taxes increasing as well but I'm about to sell my house for a 100% appreciation after 7 years, cant really complain about that side of it.
Gclyde28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

I've been in my house 4 years now and it's gone up 10% 3 out of 4 years. Land hasn't changed since but improvements every year.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclyde28 View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that the value of the land did not increase at all in the past year? Real estate is booming all over and everyone knows it aint getting any cheaper. I guess a better question would be, could you sell your land at the appraised value, or even more? I dislike my property taxes increasing as well but I'm about to sell my house for a 100% appreciation after 7 years, cant really complain about that side of it.
I wish this forum had a 'like' button.

I hate taxes. I like when my property is worth more though.

I'm with you Gclyde I can't tell if folks are complaining that their property went up in value or just that they are having to pay more taxes.

I hate that I am going to pay taxes but love that my property is worth more. I treat the two separately not lump them together.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Quote:
If your planning on leaving then yes it's great, but if you want to stay where you are it's no bueno!
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Don't forget that while they are raising the taxable value they are also most likely increasing the percentage of that value that you are being taxed.

When you head to the polls vote for candidates that recognize the extreme problem that we have with property taxes. Schools are a huge part of this. Stop voting for increased spending. If throwing money at schools was the answer we would have seen a noticeable improvement in schools during this real estate cycle.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house

Quote:
Blame the realtors.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota7493 View Post
If your planning on leaving then yes it's great, but if you want to stay where you are it's no bueno!
No matter what you want to do it is great. The real issue is how high our property taxes are in Texas on appraised value. The 'millage rate'.

Equity in property makes awesome collateral for investment, even if you don't plan on disposition.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
Gclyde28
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
Don't forget that while they are raising the taxable value they are also most likely increasing the percentage of that value that you are being taxed.

When you head to the polls vote for candidates that recognize the extreme problem that we have with property taxes. Schools are a huge part of this. Stop voting for increased spending. If throwing money at schools was the answer we would have seen a noticeable improvement in schools during this real estate cycle.
Ill vote to spend more money on schools when they start designing them as rectangles again. These dang designs they come up with now cost a fortune compared to what they could be built for. Kids don't care a dang thing about the architectural design of the building.
Gclyde28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #13
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Quote:

Once again, I lament that we don't have a 'like' button. Good stuff here.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #14
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County

Might need to start a new thread for this but what is the process of protesting property taxes? Mine too increased and I just bought it in January and have done nothing to it.
Soggy Bottom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #15
clffrdfdge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kempner Texas, Bandera Area

What itís doing is forcing people out of the land that has been in their families for hundreds of years because they can no longer make enough money to pay the taxes. That is down right robbery.
clffrdfdge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #16
Rush2Judge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood County

Quote:
23.3% increase in one year? No, it did not! I give people enough credit to understand the concept of appreciation. I also think we understand when we are being taken advantage of. My 52 year old house did not suddenly jump in value by almost a quarter when absolutely no improvements were made. Ok, I did mow the yard a couple times and trim the trees. This year I was thinking about cleaning the pool but don't want another leap in appraised value.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #17
Ishi&Elvis
Six Point

My mortgage payment has gone up tremendously because of the value jump, which in turn makes my insurance go up, since I now have to insure it for the value of the home, and at some point if it keeps going this way I will have to decide on whether I am going to have to leave the family place and sell it, or stay and try to survive.
Ishi&Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #18
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

They get us in every way possible. Even when I finally pay off my house, Ill have to rent it from the government at about $750 a month.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #19
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
Might need to start a new thread for this but what is the process of protesting property taxes? Mine too increased and I just bought it in January and have done nothing to it.
We've been in the current house 14 years and it's gone up $4k-$8k every single year, meanwhile I've kept watch on actual house value the whole time. Taxes are a good $60k-$80 out of whack with real value now. I think this year is the first year I'm actually going to go ahead and protest. Tried it before and found that I had to show up in person which prevented me doing so at the time, now I can do that.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #20
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Did you look at comparable comps to see if the Appraisal was fair?

Everyone thinks their place is worth less than market until they want to sell. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #21
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I recommend all my clients here in Austin to use ProTax to fight their taxes, y'all might look into if they work in your area as well. Pretty sure you only get charged 30% of what they save you, win-win situation.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #22
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I'm protesting mine this year
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #23
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:

If y'all would stop voting all these libtards into office maybe our taxes would stop rising
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #24
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

They are going to get all they can while they can.
ISD's and county government are the real crooks.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #25
RR 314
Ten Point

Just checked online. Over the last four years our taxable value has gone up a minimum of $119K per year. Largest annual increase was $144K. The ****able misery of it all is that the increases are supported by comps. You never really own property in the State of Texas--you just rent it from the state.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #26
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Just checked online. Over the last four years our taxable value has gone up a minimum of $119K per year. Largest annual increase was $144K. The ****able misery of it all is that the increases are supported by comps. You never really own property in the State of Texas--you just rent it from the state.

Absolutly correct.
My wives family has had a house on lake LBJ since the 60's been paid off for 40 years and it cost $11500
Per year to own.....pure bull****
Old 04-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #27
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Protest, protest, protest.. I amazed at how many don't.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #28
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
[/B]

Absolutly correct.
My wives family has had a house on lake LBJ since the 60's been paid off for 40 years and it cost $11500
Yea it's a raking for sure!!! Tough pill to swallow...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #29
Charrison
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I recommend all my clients here in Austin to use ProTax to fight their taxes, y'all might look into if they work in your area as well. Pretty sure you only get charged 30% of what they save you, win-win situation.
I argued myself last year and got $80k knocked off... so I would have to pay this service $24k for doing what I did in 1 hour? Somebody wins in that deal...
Old 04-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #30
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrison View Post
I argued myself last year and got $80k knocked off... so I would have to pay this service $24k for doing what I did in 1 hour? Somebody wins in that deal...
Uh, no. 30% of what they save you. You didn't get an 80K reduction in your taxes--rather in your assessed value.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #31
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
[/B]

Absolutly correct.
Yup. I have many friends who had family lake houses in Austin (most without homestead protection) and they simply couldn't justify keeping them due to taxes.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #32
clffrdfdge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kempner Texas, Bandera Area

Quote:
They are going to get all they can while they can.
ISD's and county government are the real crooks.
No truer words spoken right here!
clffrdfdge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #33
Charrison
Four Point

Quote:
Uh, no. 30% of what they save you. You didn't get an 80K reduction in your taxes--rather in your assessed value.
Got it. Makes sense. Why my wife handles most of this 🙂
Old 04-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #34
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrison View Post
RR 314 Nailed it. 30% of what they save you, and you're talking about the assessed value.
Quote:
Yup. I have many friends who had family lake houses in Austin (most without homestead protection) and they simply couldn't justify keeping them due to taxes.
My parents sold our house on Lake Austin in 2010 because and they even had Homestead Exemption- it unfortunately costs a small salary to 'rent' what you already own. Looking at what Lake Austin house values are now, it makes them/us sick to have sold then...
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #35
ctom87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Our property didn't increase any at all. Not one dollar. Still fighting because every single person needs to fight it so we can all have low taxes.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #36
DRettele
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas, Kansas unit #6 & 8

Wife just let me know the nugget of good news about our increased appraisal.
I protest every year.
Will again this year.
DRettele is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #37
duckmanep
Pope & Young

I'm thinking I may protest this year. My house value did not increase much, but the value of the 1 acre my house sits on more than doubled according to them.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #38
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

Thanks to you guys for bringing this up. Parker county hasn't sent theirs out to everyone I know.

I checked mine out and it went up $232,000. That isn't what it went up to, that was the increase amount.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #39
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Doss, Fredericksburg

I will protest again. No improvements to our property, house, land, etc. We actually had some negative things happen and the dang thing still went up $21k. For those of you that are protesting, what are some of the reasons that you put down in the protest? Do you just say that "how can the appraisal go up when we have not made any improvements" or is there some special thing you can say to get them to lower the appraised value by $80k? Just wondering exactly what I need to say or do to get them to lower it. This is outrageous and my taxes have gone up $500 real money each year.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #40
Passafist
Six Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

I spent more on taxes now than I did on principle, interest , taxes , insurance, and PMI on my 100 year old house than when I bought it 20 years ago
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #41
JHT
Pope & Young

In my part of town its terrible and just part of living sorta close to downtown.

I just wish they didn't waste the money like they do.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #42
Charrison
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
I will protest again. No improvements to our property, house, land, etc. We actually had some negative things happen and the dang thing still went up $21k. For those of you that are protesting, what are some of the reasons that you put down in the protest? Do you just say that "how can the appraisal go up when we have not made any improvements" or is there some special thing you can say to get them to lower the appraised value by $80k? Just wondering exactly what I need to say or do to get them to lower it. This is outrageous and my taxes have gone up $500 real money each year.
In my case, I bought the house FSBO 9 months before DCAD sent me their ridiculous appraisal. I had another appraisal on file from when I purchased the home 9 months before that was significantly less. They argued my purchase was not market value. I argued market value is what is agreed upon by the buyer/seller and not my fault people overpaid around me. We settled on half of their $160k increase... still, their assessed value is $40k more than what I paid so the equity is nice, just hate the taxes. No raise this year so prob evened out in the end.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #43
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

last year they didn't revalue mine, this year they did +20% but 10% limit on the increase per the law, still under market value but i will protest.

anyone recommending property tax consultant/protester in DFW is appreciated!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #44
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
last year they didn't revalue mine, this year they did +20% but 10% limit on the increase per the law, still under market value but i will protest.

anyone recommending property tax consultant/protester in DFW is appreciated!
What leg do you have to stand on for protest if their appraisal is under market value?
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #45
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house

I had made an offer on a 3 bedroom 2 bath home in Rockport. Planned on using it on the weekends and Airbnb rentals. I spoke with a few folks that are smarter than me and they said I might break even at the end of the year after paying income tax on the rentals and property tax, and that dont include maintenance. I thought about a little more and did not make a counter offer.

I think it is getting out of hand, we gonna have to pay income tax or charge more sales tax and eliminate property tax.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #46
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I had made an offer on a 3 bedroom 2 bath home in Rockport. Planned on using it on the weekends and Airbnb rentals. I spoke with a few folks that are smarter than me and they said I might break even at the end of the year after paying income tax on the rentals and property tax, and that dont include maintenance. I thought about a little more and did not make a counter offer.

I think it is getting out of hand, we gonna have to pay income tax or charge more sales tax and eliminate property tax.
Dont forget insurance down there can be expensive
Old 04-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #47
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hou...ural-move/amp/

Help coming from Austin???
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #48
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
Get ready to be treated like crap. The whole process will be inconvenient. Which is certainly by design.

That being said. Fight it. People need to push back.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #49
flywise
Pope & Young

I love Tx but we have been duped.
Someone somewhere in the past gave taxing authority to entities that have no business having it. School districts should have severe limitations on what they can require from the tax payer. The county should have the same limitations. They keep going up because they can go up.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #50
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

For those that protest regularly, any advice for the rest of us?
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top