Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good trap and skeet gun for my son; need recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good trap and skeet gun for my son; need recommendations.

Gage is 16 years old, 6'1'', size 15 shoe, so, a big kid.

He wants to get into shooting trap and skeet, I know nothing about guns. He has joined the local 4H shooting sports club for trap and skeet and been to one practice with my old pump 12 gauge.

I asked the coach about guns, but he spit so much stuff out so fast I didn't really catch anything useful.

The criteria is between $600-$900, 12 gauge, over/under, full set of chokes; but that's where my knowledge ends.

So what does the TBH Braintrust recommend for this?

When my son wanted to do shooting sports, I bought him a Yildiz o/u. The coach explained how that was a terrible idea and I needed to buy a Browning or Beretta. I did not see any sense in spending that kind of money on a spur of the moment decision that he wanted to shoot. It turns out, I was right, it was a one season interest. That said, I shoot a 725 Sporting for my shoots and there's simply a world of difference between it and my Yildiz guns that I hunt with.

Being that big he may find the 28" barrels on an economy o/u to be whippy for him. Has he ever shot an auto loader? They're typically more moderately priced and it may be easier for him to find one that feels good.

Comment

I agree with above, in that price range a Yildiz to try it out would be a good idea.
      Then if he sticks with it look for a higher end used gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Trap = long barrel - Skeet = shorter barrel.
        I would go for the middle ground and get him a 28" O/U. Japanese made SKB, Charles Daly, Anschutz, or Browning are all great guns and can be had used for your budget or just a little more. Get on Armslist and search your area. There have been a few nice guns listed in Texas.

I have a Miroku made Anschutz that I absolutely love that I picked up at a pawn shop for $425 out the door. It is basically a Citori and shoots lights out.

A Beretta A303 is a nice gun if you can find a good deal on one.

Comment

I shot 2 years of trap, skeet, and 5 stand through 4H growing up. I used my 870 12ga and shot just as good as the other kids that had been doing it much longer than I did with much nicer and way more expensive guns. I put a stick on raised comb on for the stock to get my alignment right, bout the other cylinder and skeet chokes, and was good to go.

Comment

At 6'1" he can handle a heavier, longer barrel. My son shot competitive skeet during HS and still shoots registered skeet occasionally at college. He's 6'2", but only 185 lbs and he prefers a 30" barrel for skeet and 32" for trap. I'd really try to steer away from anything shorter than a 30" barrel, they can be whippy for skeet. The longer the better for trap.

I'd look for deals on used guns, a good semi-auto will serve him fine until he goes full bore into registered skeet and starts shooting 410, 28, 20, 12 and doubles. That's an expensive hobby with tubes starting at around $1600.

The critical issue for any shooter is fit, if you can find a decent semi with an adjustable stock it will make all the difference in the world.

Beretta, Browning and Fabarm make great competitive semi's. Once he decides he's in love with the sport, you can look at other options. A big advantage of the semi versus an O/U for a beginning shooter is reduced recoil. You start shooting 2-300 shells at practice, you'll feel the recoil after awhile.

Best thing you can do for skeet is buy Todd Bender's DVD. He's been one of the best shooters in the world for along time and an incredible instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
              A big advantage of the semi versus an O/U for a beginning shooter is reduced recoil.
              Agreed. I also get a lot of enjoyment using a $400 semi-auto that kicks less than a O/U, and is a fraction of the price of a one too.

Think about this: if you wanted to become a professional golfer, would you go and pick out the newest set of Tiger Woods irons/driver/putter?

Comment

Beretta A300 outlander. They make many different models, most have adjustable stocks to help get the fit right. Fit makes all the difference in a shotgun. This gun will serve him well for years to come, in competition and hunting. Only reason to upgrade later, would be because he wanted to.

If it had to be an O/U I would look at the CZ lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
                  Beretta A300 outlander. They make many different models, most have adjustable stocks to help get the fit right. Fit makes all the difference in a shotgun. This gun will serve him well for years to come, in competition and hunting. Only reason to upgrade later, would be because he wanted to.

If it had to be an O/U I would look at the CZ lineup.
                  What comes 'adjustable' on an outlander is just shims between the stock and the receiver. In most cases thats not enough to properly fit a shotgun to a shooter.

That said there are 3 or 4 kids shooting yildiz on our team of 20ish shooters. On big event those kids are shooting 200+ rounds. At the end of the day they are literally beat and it effects their performance. Not bashing the yildiz and all I love the 20 we have but it makes for a long day shooting.

We have kids shooting everything from the yildiz to a K80 krieghoff. My son shoots an a400 xcel with 30" barrel that we sent off for an adjustable comb in. It came used from Joel Etchen guns

Comment

I know you said O/U but for your price range your options aren’t the best. They’re not bad guns but they will certainly beat you up. I’d say look at autos. Maybe a used benelli, you can certain find them in the upper end of your price range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                      At 6'1" he can handle a heavier, longer barrel. My son shot competitive skeet during HS and still shoots registered skeet occasionally at college. He's 6'2", but only 185 lbs and he prefers a 30" barrel for skeet and 32" for trap. I'd really try to steer away from anything shorter than a 30" barrel, they can be whippy for skeet. The longer the better for trap.

I'd look for deals on used guns, a good semi-auto will serve him fine until he goes full bore into registered skeet and starts shooting 410, 28, 20, 12 and doubles. That's an expensive hobby with tubes starting at around $1600.

The critical issue for any shooter is fit, if you can find a decent semi with an adjustable stock it will make all the difference in the world.

Beretta, Browning and Fabarm make great competitive semi's. Once he decides he's in love with the sport, you can look at other options. A big advantage of the semi versus an O/U for a beginning shooter is reduced recoil. You start shooting 2-300 shells at practice, you'll feel the recoil after awhile.

Best thing you can do for skeet is buy Todd Bender's DVD. He's been one of the best shooters in the world for along time and an incredible instructor.
                      Good information right there.

This is especially important if you want to be the best that you can be.

[The critical issue for any shooter is fit, if you can find a decent semi with an adjustable stock it will make all the difference in the world.
                      A used Beretta or Browning auto is what I would recommend.

This will get you a good start but in the end with the different disciplines you might decide on different guns for them.

Make sure "light target" loads are used and not something heavier, this with help with recoil management.

Comment

Take a look at Mossberg silver reserve. Over and under, start around 600.00 and target models are 800-900. Another is the CZ.

When I shot sporting Clay's and skeet I used a semi auto Berretta AL391 with Briley chokes usually skeet or lite mod were all I needed, and I think now they have a 3901.

Comment

Thanks y'all, I'll start looking around for some of these.

Comment

Winchester Super X Model 1
                            Comes in skeet and trap flavors
                            Great gun for the money

Comment

Working...
                            X