Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
RustyRanchero
Ten Point

Default How much $ do you need to live comfortably?

50-75k

75-100k

100-125k

125-150k

150-200k

200-250k

250k+
RustyRanchero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

6 mil..and I should be good
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
jer_james
Pope & Young

Me or my Better Half ?

Completely different hemispheres, lol.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Living comfortably is way to open to interpretation.....

Besides I'm really beginning to question this American concept of comfort and beginning to explore Theodore Roosevelts concept of a "strenuous life" and the concepts of the stoics
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

A year? Combined or each if married?
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post

Besides I'm really beginning to question this American concept of comfort and beginning to explore Theodore Roosevelts concept of a "strenuous life" and the concepts of the stoics
TR the millionaire? It's easy for people who don't have to worry about money to talk about not focusing on it
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
txhunter007
Ten Point

Hunt In: Motley County

$1,000,000 a day will do.
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

your comfort does not come from the amount of income you have - it comes from the amount of DEBT you have. PLENTY of folks out there that fall in the 50k-75k income range that are very comfortable and PLENTY of folks out there that fall in the $250k+ income range that are FAR from comfortable.
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Quote:

Agree I can live comfy on a mere 250k a year... But I've never been able to convince someone I'm worth the money. I see comfy as having a house I can afford to own , food, money to buy clothes, a reliable car, not a new one etc. Eating out maybe twice a month, being able to afford gas money and bait to the coast when I want to a kayak to fish instead of a boat hunting public land instead of a lease etc etc. Good fun and doing the things you love just doing it the basic way. Walk instead of side by side etc. Being able to afford to not work 7 days a week

I bet we could do that in the lower bracket maybe less. I know my parents got by on less than average single income for a bout 2/3 of my life living at home when I was young and I was never uncomfortable or knew any different . I do alot of things I love that cost alot more money but could live on less than I do now for sure

I know when I moved into my first place I was making around 37k I'm not sure exactly but was less than 40. I lived the good life then as well but just a little different still did all the things I loved

Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 07-13-2017 at 11:13 AM.
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
your comfort does not come from the amount of income you have - it comes from the amount of DEBT you have. PLENTY of folks out there that fall in the 50k-75k income range that are very comfortable and PLENTY of folks out there that fall in the $250k+ income range that are FAR from comfortable.
Truer words have never been spoken. We started out behind the 8 ball with well over six figures in student loan debt, the payment is more than our mortgage. Thank god we make pretty good money but we will be a whole lot more comfortable when that debt is paid off.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
snappertapper
Ten Point

Quote:
snappertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
savage1134
Six Point

Hunt In: MO,TX, GA

living within our means. Never could be happier, (well, cabin on the lake with 500 plus acres would be a little better)
savage1134 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #13
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

too many different variables, I was making it by living off 36.4K for a few years, comfortable? kind of, not really but doable

Now im double that and I would definitely say im a lot happier just due to the fact that im not stressing out about being able to pay bills now, and also dropped the dead weight relationship.

So I would say right now a single guy in his mid 20's, im comfortable making 75k annually (fluctuates since im 100% commission) but thats about it on average. I can pay all my bills and do just about anything I want without having to count pennies before considering it.

Now for me personalyl to consider myself 100% comfortable in any financial situation, I need to grind out and get to where im making 90-120 consistently. Definitely possible in my current position but I just need to be more consistent
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Family of four living in the 50-70 range right now. We are doing just fine. We travel, I hunt, and the kids in are in ton of extra curricular activities this summer. We are working our butts off to get my wife through school and part of our income is student loans. We have a plan, don't overspend and in the next couple of years we should be doubling our income. I feel like we live pretty good. Can't complain.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

Quote:
This is the truest thing I have read in quite some time. When the oilfield went toes up I got caught up in it. When it came back around I didnt want to go back, took a 100k a year cut and we are living perfectly comfortable. Of course I used all my oilfield money for my wifes dental school so I didnt have all the cool boats and pickups back then either. So with combined income we are fine, do I want a $60k new diesel truck? Of course, but my 30 yr old square body is just fine and no payment.

The second or third bracket fits us fine.
Smithwr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #16
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

$150k+ to be comfortable and still have the house, vehicles, and hunts I want. That still leaves quite a bit of play money also while still saving and letting my wife stay at home. Luckily with my job I can pick up work if it's not enough but I took a pretty big cut to be home more and it's taken getting used to but still more than enough.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #17
TaylorE
Spike

Hunt In: Groveton, TX

I've been comfortable at 60K and i've been comfortable at 150k. Not everyone needs the 350k mortage note when it is not within their means. I see my friends doing it and i am having a lot more fun doing what i love (hunting trips, fishing trips, and vacation trips)
TaylorE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Quote:
agreed.

but the question is already flawed, because it doesn't take into account savings and when you get to stop working.

The answer for most is 250k+ if you want to retire at a decent age AND be able to continue your lifestyle after that.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #19
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I just need a little bit more than I use.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
too many different variables, I was making it by living off 36.4K for a few years, comfortable? kind of, not really but doable

Now im double that and I would definitely say im a lot happier just due to the fact that im not stressing out about being able to pay bills now, and also dropped the dead weight relationship.

So I would say right now a single guy in his mid 20's, im comfortable making 75k annually (fluctuates since im 100% commission) but thats about it on average. I can pay all my bills and do just about anything I want without having to count pennies before considering it.

Now for me personalyl to consider myself 100% comfortable in any financial situation, I need to grind out and get to where im making 90-120 consistently. Definitely possible in my current position but I just need to be more consistent
Good for you! Sounds like you are doing it right.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX

They key is definitely to keep your debt and monthly expenses down so you have plenty of spending money for deer season that's just around the corner

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by TXhoghunter94; 07-13-2017 at 12:07 PM.
TXhoghunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #22
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

My wife pays me 125.00 a week so I guess 125.00 a week
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #23
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
My expenses are about $1500 a month and I have about $2100 left over to spend on hunting and toys. I do not have any debt thankfully and just graduated in May. I would like to be able to afford a couple hundred acres in 10 years and get a newer 6.7 by next year. I would say I'm pretty comfortable right now but I also don't have a family.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
You are doing very good so far. I would give my left pinky to only have $ 1,500 in expenses per month. Save save save
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #24
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Bring home $2K a week is perfect.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #25
CaptainDave
Ten Point

It's a flawed question as everyone's idea or definition of living comfortably is different.

I mean, to me, living comfortably would be owning at least a half million dollar home outright with multiple acres to boot. That's not happening overnight even at a $250K per year salary.

Another thing I've noticed is many people that make well over 6 figure salaries still maintain a sizable amount of debt; just like many people making less than 6 figures. The only difference is the homes, vehicle, toys, etc, they buy are more expensive.

It's like having a higher income allows people to have higher debt, considering the debt to income ratio would be similar. So in that respect, on a financial front, not everyone making great money is living perfectly comfortable.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Right now we bring in around $160k a year. I'm 29 and she's 25. No kids, decent house, and new vehicles. I wouldn't want to do it on less, but we could easily manage on half our income if we cut the frivolous spending out. We enjoy going out, taking trips, and spending time doing things we won't be able to when kids are in the picture.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #27
TexanTiger
Six Point

Hunt In: SW La.,Liberty Tx, S.Texas,TBH classifieds...

i have a cousin making around 75k modest house modest vehicles hunts and fishes, most comfortable person i know

i have a brother making $250k+ nice house nice vehicles ect. not very comfortable

my wife and i are closer to brother range but have the modest house and modest vehicles and we are very comfortable
TexanTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #28
TB80
Ten Point

I'm no expert on the issue, but I think debt is one consideration as mentioned above.

I also think it depends on who you are surrounded by in your social/family circle. If you live among people making $500k, and you are making $75k, you likely will struggle more than if you are making $75k living among people making $35k.

For me, my prayer is for contentment and to be thankful for what has been given to me and to use it wisely. There are always people better off then me, and there are always people worse off than me. I am blessed with what I have today.

Plus, I would rather have good health than money any day.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #29
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

75-100k a year
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #30
Addicted2bh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
You are doing very good so far. I would give my left pinky to only have $ 1,500 in expenses per month. Save save save
No kidding!
Addicted2bh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #31
Daniel32
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Kinney County

Single 75-100k

Married 150-200k+ (women can be expensive )
Daniel32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #32
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
TR the millionaire? It's easy for people who don't have to worry about money to talk about not focusing on it
Agreed, but TR's Strenuous Life wasn't about going without, it was about making willful decisions to remove items of comfort. Modern day, might be like turning the AC to 79 instead of 72 for the month of July.

One also has to ask how does a millionaire become one or maintain? Often times it is seeking cheaper ways to live. For example my uncle is a multi millionaire, to my knowledge he has never had a new car, always paid cash for a newer low mileage vehicle and let someone else take the depreciation hicky
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #33
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

Quote:
Agreed, but TR's Strenuous Life wasn't about going without, it was about making willful decisions to remove items of comfort. Modern day, might be like turning the AC to 79 instead of 72 for the month of July.

One also has to ask how does a millionaire become one or maintain? Often times it is seeking cheaper ways to live. For example my uncle is a multi millionaire, to my knowledge he has never had a new car, always paid cash for a newer low mileage vehicle and let someone else take the depreciation hicky
may be a lot of work, just to maintain the account...always watching, and looking...
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #34
cowboybam58
Spike

75-100k a year would be fine for me and my family. We make it on far less.
cowboybam58 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #35
Christianhuff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Oklahoma, Collin County

Wife and I are at the upper end of that spectrum and were debt free before we bought the land and started the new build. I'm nervous, have always lived modestly and put money into real estate. Not going to hunt in Kansas or Oklahoma this year and see how it goes a for year or two. I think I am an exception, the more money we make the more nervous and cheaper I get.
Christianhuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #36
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
Family of four living in the 50-70 range right now. We are doing just fine. We travel, I hunt, and the kids in are in ton of extra curricular activities this summer. We are working our butts off to get my wife through school and part of our income is student loans. We have a plan, don't overspend and in the next couple of years we should be doubling our income. I feel like we live pretty good. Can't complain.
Wow .. that's impressive.
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #37
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Quote:

New cars aren't the problem.
I know plenty of millionaires with several cars they purchased brand new.

It's the little things that get you.

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 07-13-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #38
fox1
Ten Point

Location: East Texan by birth but spending all my time in Okl.
Hunt In: now accepting invitations

Living comfortably and being happy are two different things.
I was happy on 6.00 an hour the year I got married and I'm happy now with what I make.
fox1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #39
SMUMan02
Ten Point

Eleventy billion.
SMUMan02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #40
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianhuff View Post
Wife and I are at the upper end of that spectrum and were debt free before we bought the land and started the new build. I'm nervous, have always lived modestly and put money into real estate. Not going to hunt in Kansas or Oklahoma this year and see how it goes a for year or two. I think I am an exception, the more money we make the more nervous and cheaper I get.
Thats how you keep money in the bank though! Your kids will appreciate it
Old 07-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #41
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

If I had a household income of 120k per year, I would be able to pay off the 30 year mortgage i'm about to sign onto, buy my leased vehicle and all outstanding debt in 3.5 years and not change a thing about how i live on my current income.

Since we are 1 income family of 4, all that is going to take me 30 years. those of you who have 2 income families are driving up the cost of living for the few 1 income families left thanks alot hahah
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #42
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

I am thinking I would be good with a 15x15 cabin, with a bed, couch, air conditioning, TV, internet, toilet, sink, running water and electricity. Then about a thousand hundred bucks for groceries, clothes, and beer. Sounds pretty comfortable to me. I need to get far away from places like Lowes, Wal-mart, Costco etc. Everytime I go into somewhere like that I spend about 10x what I should have, lol.

I'm sure we could all be comfortable on a whole lot less than we have/make.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #43
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Man, looking at all the expenses for kids and what not....as much as I have always wanted a son or two...I might not do it anymore

Starting to look for someone that wants that D.I.N.K lifestyle and we can travel and hunt the world

Dual Income No Kids
Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #44
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

It all depends on scale and perspective. I will say this though I have never relied on income from what someone else thinks I'm worth, I create my own. A little scary because you eat what you kill but I am blessed and have been fortunate to kill well.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #45
44mAG
Ten Point

It also depends on what stage you are in life. If you are in your forever home, your number is going to be a lot different than if you are trying to save up for a big upgrade. The wife and I bring home just enough that we are on a bubble right now. We are maxing out everything possible towards retirement (401K, IRA, HSA, etc), which isn't leaving quite as much on the table to save as I would like. We are wanting to buy land and build a house in the next 5-7 years or so. If we were already in our dream house, our current income would be way more than enough to be totally comfortable, but since there is a huge purchase on the horizon, I feel like we could always use more towards down payments.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #46
crawdaddct
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unknown

The world is set up to where you spend what you make. The more you make the more taxes you pay. Kids need stuff. I was just as happy making 18,000 a years as I am making 100,000. The main thing is be debt free when you decide to retire. House paid off and set on cars. Have about 1 million in your 401K. To me that would be about perfect. Could live off the interest and fish and hunt all I want. Not quiet there yet.
crawdaddct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #47
josh3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

I'm 33 wife is 30 with no kids. When AG market was going great we were making combined over 200k right now roughly 140-150k. We have my student loans maybe 20k, one car payment ( my truck is free company truck), fifth wheel, land payment and will soon be building a new home. That's basically our debt. Max out my 401K and at 33 it's just shy of 400K bc my company profit sharing has been amazing! I think we are on the right track and setting ourselves up well for later in life. We travel a lot and I hunt, if we were to cut back on a few things we could sock a lot more money away but we are enjoying ourselves right now.
josh3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #48
clffrdfdge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kempner Texas, Bandera Area

Don't even make the lower bracket.
clffrdfdge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #49
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

If married, $250k and no debt. That is a pretty comfortable, yet not extravagant life.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #50
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh3 View Post
I'm 33 wife is 30 with no kids. When AG market was going great we were making combined over 200k right now roughly 140-150k. We have my student loans maybe 20k, one car payment ( my truck is free company truck), fifth wheel, land payment and will soon be building a new home. That's basically our debt. Max out my 401K and at 33 it's just shy of 400K bc my company profit sharing has been amazing! I think we are on the right track and setting ourselves up well for later in life. We travel a lot and I hunt, if we were to cut back on a few things we could sock a lot more money away but we are enjoying ourselves right now.
...sounds like you hit jackpot working where you do.

What education did you get?
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top