Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Angry Man Shoots & Runs over Bald Eagle with ATV

I hope they throw the book at this bleepty beep beep.

Man pleads Guilty to Shooting Bald Eagle then running over it with ATV

This is a rather maddening story.

A homeowner in Smithfield, Virginia by the name of Allen Thacker was irritated when a bald eagle kept eating fish from his pond and hunting small game on his property.

So, according to court records, the 62-year-old man attempted to scare away the bird with a warning shot using his Remington .22 caliber rifle. When the bird kept coming back, Thacker shot to kill.

Except a poor shot from Thacker left the bird badly wounded, but still alive. So what did Thacker do?

He hopped on his red Yamaha ATV and drove over the bald eagle, an official national symbol of the United States.

Of course, Thacker originally denied killing the bird, but a witness testified otherwise, saying they saw Thacker circle and run over the eagle at least three or four times, then drag the bird’s body into the woods.

He would eventually plead guilty to violating the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, and faces up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine. He will also have to turn over his rifle to the government and pay $960, or half the value of the ATV.

All the details can be found in the press release from the Department of Justice below:

NORFOLK, Va. – A Smithfield man pleaded guilty today to killing a bald eagle, first shooting and wounding the bird, then finally running over it with his all-terrain vehicle.

According to the statement of facts filed with the plea agreement, Allen H. Thacker, 62, shot the bald eagle because he was upset it had been hunting and taking fish from a pond located on his property. Court records indicate Thacker first tried to scare the bird away with a warning shot. When that did not work, Thacker shot the bird with a Remington .22 caliber rifle. According to a necropsy performed on the dead eagle, Thacker’s initial shot wounded the bird, but blunt force trauma to the bird’s skull proved fatal. Though Thacker initially denied it when interviewed by investigators, a witness reported having seen Thacker drive over the bird with his all-terrain vehicle. In Court records filed with today’s guilty plea, Thacker fully admitted to shooting the bird and running it over with the all-terrain vehicle.

Thacker pleaded guilty to unlawful taking of a bald eagle, and faces a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a $100,000 fine when sentenced on October 23. Actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after taking into account the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

Dana J. Boente, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, made the announcement after U.S. Magistrate Judge Douglas E. Miller accepted the plea. Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph L. Kosky is prosecuting the case.

The case was investigated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service after receiving a referral from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Conservation Police.

A copy of this press release is located on the website of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia. Related court documents and information is located on the website of the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia or on PACER by searching for Case No. 2:17-mj-291.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
Ætheling
Pope & Young

I don't have much patience for a man that would treat an animal that way for fun.

Federal penalties are usually mitigated to 10 percent so he will pay 10K I imagine.
Ætheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Dumbazz...
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

He shoulda just killa DNC staffer and he could got away with it.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
txdukklr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria

i'm not gonna lie . . . . if I had a pond and a bald eagle was catching fish out of it I'd go buy more fish

what a jack wagon
txdukklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdukklr View Post
i'm not gonna lie . . . . if I had a pond and a bald eagle was catching fish out of it I'd go buy more fish

what a jack wagon
No kidding. How awesome would it be to sit out and watch a bald eagle snatch fish out of your pond?
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
I don't have much patience for a man that would treat an animal that way for fun.

Federal penalties are usually mitigated to 10 percent so he will pay 10K I imagine.
Where did you read he did it for fun?

He was trying to protect the fish in his pond and small animals on his property. He had already gave warning shots and was frustrated then shot to kill when the eagle wouldn't stay away. I don't see anything about it being fun for him.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 07-13-2017 at 09:48 AM.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I wish I had a bald eagle fishing in my pond. Like others said, it would be cool as heck. I'd buy more fish, and hope he stayed around
Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

The bald eagle thing is getting out of control in the NE and NW. On that deadliest catch show I have seen 10 sitting on poles in the back ground.
This idiot did everything wrong, and a lot of people are mad they can not have a cat in the back yard...

Just saying.

Was on the river outside of Maryland last year and looked up into a tree and it was full of Mexican Buzzards. What the heck......
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
No kidding. How awesome would it be to sit out and watch a bald eagle snatch fish out of your pond?

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

What an idiot, I love seeing them hunt out on the lakes. Wish I had a place where I could sit on the porch and do the same thing.

"According to a necropsy performed on the dead eagle, Thacker’s initial shot wounded the bird, but blunt force trauma to the bird’s skull proved fatal"

Our tax dollars at work. Did it really matter if it was the gunshot or the ATV that killed him?
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post

He was trying to protect the fish in his pond and small animals on his property. He had already gave warning shots and was frustrated then shot to kill when the eagle wouldn't stay away. I don't see anything about it being fun for him.
Well it ain't fun now is it ?
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Hope they throw the book at him!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #15
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorthunder View Post
The bald eagle thing is getting out of control in the NE and NW. On that deadliest catch show I have seen 10 sitting on poles in the back ground.
This idiot did everything wrong, and a lot of people are mad they can not have a cat in the back yard...

Just saying.

Was on the river outside of Maryland last year and looked up into a tree and it was full of Mexican Buzzards. What the heck......
Agreed 100%. I grew up in WI, its nuts how many there are. They are not so majestic eating dead deer on the side of the road, spreading disease, getting smoked by cars driving by. It's like hitting a bowling ball. And his treatment of the animal is wrong, no matter bald eagle, deer, turkey, rabbit. Nothing should suffer.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
Robert
Eight Point

Why would he drag it in to the woods? Those things are awesome. Breast it out and put it on the smoker or you can make Eagle nuggets and fry them up. Good eats right there!
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #17
UltraMax
Ten Point

I'd have shot him too prolly. Wouldn't have been cruel tho.

I do the same thing to turtles, herons, cranes, feral cats, pigs, varmints and even deer that depredate, especially if it's something I sink money into, like a coy fish or goldfish in a stock tank, my lawn, pecan trees, crops, etc. problem is, this guy took it too far.

Last edited by UltraMax; 07-13-2017 at 10:43 AM.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #18
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:

The running over of the injured eagle, not the shooting. He could of dispatched it with the same rifle cleanly but chose a more grotesque method which he either did for fun or even more nefarious reasons.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #19
Abctx
Six Point

He shoulda erected a wind turbine by the pond, and blamed it on "green energy".....
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #20
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
The running over of the injured eagle, not the shooting. He could of dispatched it with the same rifle cleanly but chose a more grotesque method which he either did for fun or even more nefarious reasons.

Agreed the running over part doesn't make much sense. Why not shoot it again?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #21
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Agreed the running over part doesn't make much sense. Why not shoot it again?
He must of really loved those fish. Probably had names for them and sang to them and such haha!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #22
catslayer
Pope & Young

... throw the whole fedral book at him
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #23
bowtechbandit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Kansas

Quote:
.22 ammo is hard to come by!
bowtechbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #24
byler11
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette
Default Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdukklr View Post

what a jack wagon
When i worked in lake management their was a guy in east Texas whose pond we took care of and he had a bald eagle their and he did what u mentioned, stocked the pond every year so he could watch the eagle come down and catch fish.
byler11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #25
quackNthwack
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMax View Post
I'd have shot him too prolly. Wouldn't have been cruel tho.

I do the same thing to turtles, herons, cranes, feral cats, pigs, varmints and even deer that depredate, especially if it's something I sink money into, like a coy fish or goldfish in a stock tank, my lawn, pecan trees, crops, etc. problem is, this guy took it too far.

Nothing like admitting to breaking multiple game laws on an internet forum.
quackNthwack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #26
UltraMax
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackNthwack View Post
Nothing like admitting to breaking multiple game laws on an internet forum.
Nothing like not knowing that you can protect your property from depredating animals. Btw, it's not against the law to shoot any of the above while in the act of depredating.

Learn the law.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #27
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

he's obviously an idiot
Texas8point is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #28
woodsman
Ten Point

Hunt In: . . . the re-public . . . of Texas

Fish feel pain!

#fishlivesmatter
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #29
cowboybam58
Spike

He's an idiot. Make an example of him.
cowboybam58 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #30
quackNthwack
Four Point

Quote:
Nothing like not knowing that you can protect your property from depredating animals. Btw, it's not against the law to shoot any of the above while in the act of depredating.

Learn the law.
Would like to see the law on shooting herons and cranes. You also stated you would have shot the bald eagle given the same circumstances.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #31
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Quote:

Learn the law.
I don't think this is right. According to Texas parks and wildlife website, "Hawks, owls, eagles, and all other nongame birds and songbirds (except for the few unprotected birds listed below) are protected by various state and federal laws and may not be killed, taken from the nest, picked up, or possessed for any reason, and their feathers may not be possessed or sold. Arts and crafts may not include these protected species under any circumstances."

Herons and cranes aren't on the unprotected list.

Last edited by rjtkdplus; 07-13-2017 at 01:38 PM.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #32
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

How did he shoot it with an ATV?

He shot it AND ran over it with an ATV?
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #33
UltraMax
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtkdplus View Post
I don't think this is right. According to Texas parks and wildlife website, Hawks, owls, eagles, and all other nongame birds and songbirds (except for the few unprotected birds listed below) are protected by various state and federal laws and may not be killed, taken from the nest, picked up, or possessed for any reason, and their feathers may not be possessed or sold. Arts and crafts may not include these protected species under any circumstances. Herons and cranes aren't on the unprotected list.
I am no scholar of the TPWC, (so I apologize and guess I need to learn) but I know for a fact I have been told by a local game warden that any animal can be killed while in the act of depredating.

Upon further investigation, it appears that one must apply for a "depredation permit" unless it's a fur bearing mammal. Which is total crap.

If I have an animal in the act of destroying my property, I'm taking action then. Period. Going to town and applying for a depredation permit and waiting while the govt gets off their butts to award it to me while the whatever animal is destroying property is insane.

Guess I'm wrong in that.

And yes, given the same circumstances, I might.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #34
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
How did he shoot it with an ATV?

He shot it AND ran over it with an ATV?

Drink some coffee BOB then read slower
Old 07-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #35
quackNthwack
Four Point

Quote:
I am no scholar of the TPWC, (so I apologize and guess I need to learn) but I know for a fact I have been told by a local game warden that any animal can be killed while in the act of depredating.

Upon further investigation, it appears that one must apply for a "depredation permit" unless it's a fur bearing mammal. Which is total crap.

If I have an animal in the act of destroying my property, I'm taking action then. Period. Going to town and applying for a depredation permit and waiting while the govt gets off their butts to award it to me while the whatever animal is destroying property is insane.

Guess I'm wrong in that.

And yes, given the same circumstances, I might.

This is America and you're free to do whatever you please. It's still against the law, so announcing your intentions to break game laws online might not be the brightest thing to do. Carry on.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #36
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

Quote:

It's cool up until calving season, then you want them to go away.
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #37
UltraMax
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackNthwack View Post
This is America and you're free to do whatever you please. It's still against the law, so announcing your intentions to break game laws online might not be the brightest thing to do. Carry on.
I'm not sitting here advocating exceeding bag limits, trespassing and killing undersized deer, keeping small fish, shooting deer with field points, wasting game and just blatantly disregarding game laws. I'm saying that when my property starts being destroyed by wild animals, the problem will be taken care of. Just like DE Smith says, it's cool until calving season.

Apparently you've never had animals destroy your garden, eat your chickens, invade your blue bird houses and kill them, kill your pond fish, invade crawl spaces, root your lawn, pluck eyes out of calves that still have after birth on them. All of these are examples of depredation from animals that I have seen first hand. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm shooting.

Hell the Penal Code gives me the go ahead to use deadly force against a human being for destroying my property during the night time, but I can't protect my property from depredating animals???? That's absurd.

You know, I bet I speed on the way home today and I might not use a turn signal, just because.

Last edited by UltraMax; 07-13-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #38
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Quote:
I've had em fly down and snatch undersized crappie we've thrown back a couple times! Pretty cool! Always happens too fast to get the phone out and capture it on video.
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #39
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
I'm not sitting here advocating exceeding bag limits, trespassing and killing undersized deer, keeping small fish, shooting deer with field points, wasting game and just blatantly disregarding game laws. I'm saying that when my property starts being destroyed by wild animals, the problem will be taken care of. Just like DE Smith says, it's cool until calving season.

Apparently you've never had animals destroy your garden, eat your chickens, invade your blue bird houses and kill them, kill your pond fish, invade crawl spaces, root your lawn, pluck eyes out of calves that still have after birth on them. All of these are examples of depredation from animals that I have seen first hand. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm shooting.

Hell the Penal Code gives me the go ahead to use deadly force against a human being for destroying my property during the night time, but I can't protect my property from depredating animals???? That's absurd.

You know, I bet I speed on the way home today and I might not use a turn signal, just because.
Don't care what's doing the plucking, it would die.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #40
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
I've had em fly down and snatch undersized crappie we've thrown back a couple times! Pretty cool! Always happens too fast to get the phone out and capture it on video.

I had an Eagle fly over and accidentally drop an undersized crappie in my cooler while I was fishing!

The game warden didn't believe it either
Old 07-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #41
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Who knows how many white headed buzzards get hit by cars every year while eating roadkill. He was probably just trying to kill it in a way that seemed most fitting. Its just a bird. Everyone calm down.
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #42
Death from Above
Pope & Young

100k for killing a bird...same government pays for babies to be killed...we are a wack country.
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #43
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Above View Post
100k for killing a bird...same government pays for babies to be killed...we are a wack country.
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #44
ba1005
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Don't agree with the shooting. Whatever punishment he gets is deserved.
ba1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #45
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Above View Post
Exactly!!!
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #46
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Freaking animals have more rights then unborn children.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #47
Jakesfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young, San Saba, Cass counties

P.o.s. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jakesfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #48
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by byler11 View Post
When i worked in lake management their was a guy in east Texas whose pond we took care of and he had a bald eagle their and he did what u mentioned, stocked the pond every year so he could watch the eagle come down and catch fish.
You guys realize a lot of people up north would love to watch a coyote kill animals?

And here we are with the nice cute furry animal so lets protect it.. But the things we don't like...lets kill them all!

No one here would care if it was a coyote, wild pig, raccon etc... But lets throw the book at this guy. And of course I'm about to hear it's because it's against the law... LOL Sure it is, because you guys always agree with the laws.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #49
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

I don't agree with what he did, but the punishment seems pretty harsh to me. Armed robbers, rapists, and drug thugs get off with less punishment. Doesn't add up in my opinion.
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #50
wisco-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Young County/Free Range Only

Coming from Wisconsin and growing up in the 80's and 90's, eagles, wolves, pheasants, turkey, and sandhill cranes were non existent in my youth, all of them have exploded since the early 90's except pheasants. Turkey and crane seasons have been opened to control population... Turkey seasons were opened 20 years ago and pop is perfect, pheasant season never closed and they are still hurting badly, crane is open now and is looking good, wolf/eagle no season and are really starting to f* things up. Sad to see that people judge the killing of a predator/nuisance animal that is not located in their area as bad. People in Wisco would love the opportunity to shoot hogs because they are not around that area, I have buddies that come to visit just to shoot an "exotic" hog. If wolves make their way down here...let me know how mystical they are to you when they are destroying your deer population (or fish pop for eagles). It's pretty retarded to have your neighbors watch you run over an animal no matter what the situation, but when I look myself in the mirror and ask myself if I wound a nuisance animal, no matter what it is, I'm going to dispatch it as fast as possible because I don't want the animal to suffer. If it's shooting a yote off a 4 wheeler, wounding it, and running it over as quickly as possible, so be it. I'm just as american as the next guy, I work hard and pay my taxes. If our national symbol was a hog in texas I would kill it if it was doing more bad than good, if our national symbol was a wolf and I was in Wisconsin I would kill it for the good of conservation. Canada's national animal is the Beaver, if I was from Canada and found out someone killed one I would throw a fit...
wisco-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top