Educate me- 2nd WiFi antenna in house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’re in new construction, our route/ WiFi antenna is downstairs in the mechanical room. The electrician ran 3 ethernet cables in walls- 2 going to entertainment center to connect to a Sonos Amp (1 is a spare if needed) and 1 into an upstairs bonus room on the other side of the house.

The WiFi connection works upstairs, but is not as good as downstairs.

What exactly am I looking to buy? I’ve searched Google and Amazon and I’m not sure. One article says to use a regular 2nd router, there’s a number of others for outdoor long distance usage which I don’t need. I’d prefer plug-and-play and not have to be setting up network software if possible.

I have the ethernet cable in a low voltage box, on the wall next to a 120vac receptacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eero

Comment

Like outlook8, I would also recommend a mesh system. Our house is very large and I finally gave up on repeaters and went to a mesh. We use the Deco and with 3 pucks I have service in every corner of our home.
      Last edited by kae006; 01-13-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Google Wifi. I have the 3 puck system and it works great. Their app is dummy proof too.

Comment

I purchased this for the same reason. It has a base unit connected via ethernet to my cable modem, and gets configured via app on my iphone. place where needed, and the app tells you KIND OF if they are placed in the best spot.

Comment

I have att internet and they have a wifi extender. It was $49. You don’t have to hook it to the Ethernet cable but if you do it works better. If you have ATT I’d get this.

Comment

I just installed this one and my modem and connections are in my basement as well.
              I hooked one to my modem downstairs(I have a modem because my internet is through our cable company, Spectrum), and the other two upstairs with one on each side of the house.

It was amazing the difference in signal strength. I then renegotiated and got faster WiFi from Spectrum which required changing out their modem with a new one. The speed difference was incredible and I was very happy when I did a speed test after setting it up and went from 60-80 Mbps download speed to 458 Mbps.

The setup was truly very simple and a matter of downloading the Linksys app and following a few simple instructions. I can highly recommend the routers put in place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Have the Orbi mesh system and it improved our WiFi tremendously

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                  I just installed this one and my modem and connections are in my basement as well.
                  I hooked one to my modem downstairs(I have a modem because my internet is through our cable company, Spectrum), and the other two upstairs with one on each side of the house.

It was amazing the difference in signal strength. I then renegotiated and got faster WiFi from Spectrum which required changing out their modem with a new one. The speed difference was incredible and I was very happy when I did a speed test after setting it up and went from 60-80 Mbps download speed to 458 Mbps.

The setup was truly very simple and a matter of downloading the Linksys app and following a few simple instructions. I can highly recommend the routers put in place.

I had the same problem as you OP. I went with the Linksys whole home as well. I could not get any internet in my mancave but now I have the same result as WyoBull. It made a tremendous improvement. Not a place in my house that my downloads are less than 450mbps.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                    I had the same problem as you OP. I went with the Linksys whole home as well. I could not get any internet in my mancave but now I have the same result as WyoBull. It made a tremendous improvement. Not a place in my house that my downloads are less than 450mbps.

I have the same system but went with 5 nodes.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                      Like outlook8, I would also recommend a mesh system. Our house is very large and I finally gave up on repeaters and went to a mesh. We use the Deco and with 3 pucks I have service in every corner of our home.
                      Which Deco do you have? They have several on their website. Was it hard to setup? We have to extenders from ATT that don't do much. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post

458 mbps?

I get 15 mbps dsl over copper- but they say they’ll offer 50 over fiber in 2022. But I am in rural Montana.

Thanks for ideas, I’m doing homework.

Comment

Working...
                        X