Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 12-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
jb5001
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County
Default Building a Door Blind

This year was the first year I was able to get on a lease and to say it has been amazing would be an understatement. I also understated the amount of work it takes to get feeders, blinds, food plots, and $$ to start from scratch. My good friend is also on the lease. I started by building him a very nice elevated blind which we went all out on with deer view windows, etc. When it came time to build my stand, I was looking for a cheaper option for this year. My main location is a recent clear cut with a creek bottom running a curve. I've always wanted an octagon shaped stand as it always seems I want to look right where the corners of the blind are. This location lends itself very nice to an octagon shaped stand.

A while ago, I purchased a bunch of doors because I was going to build a storage cabinet in my garage with bipass doors. I think I got a lot of 10 off them off craigslist for $20. That never happened and they have been sitting in my garage ever since. I figured the doors would make a good deer blind. They are hollow core so should have some level of insulation.

Here is the progress of making the "Door Blind"

I started by cutting cardboard strips of each of the sizes of doors I had for the best way to lay them out.
jb5001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
jb5001
Eight Point

This is how I originally laid it out. It ends up bring 6 ft wide and roughly 5 ft deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
jb5001
Eight Point

The doors already had hinges so I used it to my advantage to quickly connect them. All I had to do then is put the pin in. Instead of all the math, I created them with the hinges and then traced out the floor to cut. I used solid core doors for the floor which was a part of the group of doors.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
jb5001
Eight Point

For the windows I cut them out with a jig saw. I ripped a 2-by down to the correct width and inserted it with glue. I screwed it in all the way around. This would have been sufficient but I didnít care for how it looked. I had leftover trim from my last house so I framed out the inside and then added trim to the outside and inside. I used a lot of caulk to make sure water couldnít get in anywhere.
The photos are in the reverse order.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
rolylane6
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Thats a really cool idea/build. What will you close the gaps with?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
RR 314
Pope & Young

looks good. Are you going to skin the outside? Figure those hollow core doors will be a mess if any moisture penetrates them.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #7
jb5001
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
Thats a really cool idea/build. What will you close the gaps with?

Iíll rip 2x at an angle to fit in there. I was planning to put weatherstrip on the edges but ended up caulking them.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
jb5001
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
looks good. Are you going to skin the outside? Figure those hollow core doors will be a mess if any moisture penetrates them.

Yep- thatís right. The end grain is the most susceptible. My options were to cover it all with the red guard stuff which water seals or I painted it extremely well with exterior paint to keep the moisture out. Thatís really why I framed the windows better to keep moisture out of the cut edges and used lots of painters caulk. Itís for sure not the best but for $20 worth of doors, I think itíll last a few years if I paint any bad areas.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
TxHamJello
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto and Gillespie Counties

Following - want to see how this turns out, great idea
TxHamJello is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
rolylane6
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb5001 View Post
Yep- thatís right. The end grain is the most susceptible. My options were to cover it all with the red guard stuff which water seals or I painted it extremely well with exterior paint to keep the moisture out. Thatís really why I framed the windows better to keep moisture out of the cut edges and used lots of painters caulk. Itís for sure not the best but for $20 worth of doors, I think itíll last a few years if I paint any bad areas.

I used 2 hollow core doors for the exterior doors on shed I built at our last house. A really good coat of exterior enamel paint about every 3 years or so and they held up well for the 12 years we lived there.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:36 AM   #11
TxHamJello
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto and Gillespie Counties

Any progress updates?
TxHamJello is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 06:26 AM   #12
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Really interesting concept..Only prob I see is lf there indoor doors they don't hold up to WET...The indoor doors I have used in outdoor applications delaminated and fell apart in a few months...But if you can seal them should be cool... Outdoor doors hold up ok but they Heavy..Hope ya get it to work out
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 06:32 AM   #13
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

That is a very cool idea! And yes, looking forward to the finished product.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #14
jb5001
Eight Point

Old 01-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #15
jb5001
Eight Point

To have a bit of a slope to the roof, I had to cut the tops at an angle. After a bunch of trying to think of the angle, I decided it was just easier to rip and attach a 2x to the top of the door. It actually worked out very well.

To seal the gaps, I ripped a 2x to fit in there. Figuring that angle was a pain. In the end I was off some but extra caulk sealed it up well. In one of the photos they are actually laying on the floor.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #16
jb5001
Eight Point

Default Building a Door Blind

For the few door handle holes, I just glued a small piece over them and caulked the edges to seal it.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #17
jb5001
Eight Point

I wish I wouldíve taken more photos when we assembled the blind on location. The roof is all one piece. I framed it with 2x2s and put R-panel on top. After having the platform in place, Setting up the blind was quick- it only took 30 min because each of the doors was held together with the hinge pins. I had a 2x2 along the bottom of each so it was then screwed into the floor. The roof was put on and I put screws through those 2x2s into the side walls. I ran out of time to put the inserts between the doors before opening weekend so theyíre missing in one photo. I did put awnings on all windows to keep any rain from coming in or swelling any of the doors. For the windows- I made them myself. I donít have a photo of them but will get them next time.

Iím very happy with the way it turned out. I still need to add some shelves and stuff but it has held up very nice for this first season. Thereís one small part in the front where I see a door is swelling a little. The paint got scraped off there. I need to go around and touch up the paint.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:22 PM   #18
rolylane6
Eight Point

Looks like it turned out great! I like the design. I assume you closed those gaps between the doors after you took those pics?

My bad, just reread your post and saw you mentioned taking pics prior to fixing the gaps

Last edited by rolylane6; 01-15-2021 at 04:27 PM.