Texas trotline question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas trotline question

The regulations say you need a gear tag with name and address on each end AND a float three inches by six inches any color but orange attached to the line. What are you guys doing for these floats. Would an aluminum can filled with spray foam tied to one end of the line suffice. What are you guys doing to meet this regulation. Sure would like for a GW on here to chime in.

Use a piece of pool noodle for a float. Wrap white duct tape around it and write your info on it with a sharpie.

Comment

I use livestock ear tags on each end and use white bleach jugs for floats.I also only put my license # and the date on the tags and floats

Comment

You can use your Lic Customer number too. I use some of the Monster pool noodles. They are 4" in diameter and I cut 10-12" long. You can write on them your info needed to make them legal if they are within 3 foot of the first hook on each end. Otherwise, I use a tag equal to or better than the line and tie it on two feet or so of the first hook on each end. And also put my info on the float just in case they don't wanna pull my line up to check it. A simple piece of white or yellow plastic cut out from a quart bottle or container will work if you put your info and date on it with a Sharpie. Poke a hole in it and tie it on with a zip tie. I find the wording in that area is kinda vague. So I double tag my lines on each end just in case. Once on the float. And once on a tag within three foot of the first hook.

"Gear tagA tag constructed of material as durable as the device to which it is attached. The gear tag must be legible, contain the name and address, or customer number, of the person using the device, and the date the device was set out. Date is not required for saltwater trotlines or crabtraps fished under a commercial license. For juglines and freshwater trotlines, properly marked buoys or floats qualify as valid gear tags."

Trotline info:
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-09-2021, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I normally write it on a piece of paper, then place in a 20 oz coke bottle. We tie it along with an oil jug from restaurants on each end.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
            The regulations say you need a gear tag with name and address on each end AND a float three inches by six inches any color but orange attached to the line. What are you guys doing for these floats. Would an aluminum can filled with spray foam tied to one end of the line suffice. What are you guys doing to meet this regulation. Sure would like for a GW on here to chime in.
            Wayne, call our game warden, Todd Long @ 903-930-5117...good guy.

Comment

also using pool noodles on each end. had some trapper tags made (ebay... search "engraved trapping tag") with info on them.

Comment

Thanks Randy

Comment

You can order white pool noodles off of Amazon. 1/2” pvc fits perfectly in them so you can have rigidity. I usually cut the noodle to length, then cut pvc about 2” longer than the pool noodle. I then drill a hole for a tying point and use ~100lb braided rope, one end tied to the pvc and one end with a cheap trotline clip for easy attachment. You can optionally wrap a strip of reflective tape on the pool noodle if you intend to check them at night.

Edit:

Easiest way is to write your information on them and then write your date on the opposite side from your info. Then next time you use them, a spritz of mosquito spray on a rag will take the old date off so you don’t have a big list of old dates.
                  Last edited by TylerDale; 05-10-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X