First crack at estate sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First crack at estate sale

My brother in law recently lost his father. He told me he had a collection of over 300 guns when he passed, and now his son is selling most of them. He called me today and said I could get a first stab before they go on the market. He does not know what he has exactly...and there is not an inventory list. He just said he collected a lot of everything.

I don't really need anything, but some bucket list items I have had the itch for are a Tikka, a Remington 700, a lever action, and a 1911.

The budget is tight on this, especially if I am buying up a ton of ammo. I like owning guns but I wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable on guns...

What model Tikka would be around $750 or lower that is a solid and accurate gun?

Same question but for Remington 700?

What lever action do you recommend? Marlin or Henry were two that came to mind. And what caliber? I always figured 30-30... but I really don't know that much about lever actions.

Finally, I know 1911 is very customizable. Do I go for the cheapest and rebuild? I know nothing about them... just always wanted to own what I consider a true piece of history in the tradition and design...

Such a long post that is vague and open ended. If you could please share any guidance I would be most grateful. I do not know calibers, conditions, etc. Oh, and its in Phoenix so is shipping an issue for ammo, rifles, hand guns or shotguns an issue?

I thought about just renting a car and driving back... depends on what he has. He is going to look for me to see if there is anything I want...

Thanks again GS.

I would get an inventory of what he has. Figure out a budget you want to spend and go from there

Comment

I would recommend you fly there and look them over yourself, no telling what gems you might find. Flights are still cheap now. I was young when my wife's grandfather with a big collection passed away. Her family knew nothing about guns, and I was only dating my wife at the time. I still twinge with regret when they talk about some of the rare guns he had and how much (very little in reality) they got at the estate sale for the entire lot (pennies on the dollar).

Comment

I’d tell him to get an inventory together before anything else. Don’t want short him out of a sum of many or over pay for one.

If I was going to buy a used lever gun it would only be a pre ‘64 Winchester but that is just me as I love them. The new marlins and Henry’s are nothing to scoff at I just prefer the original classics.

Remington 700’s made in the 70’s and 80’s are the best of the 700’s and my favorite are the BDL models.

And I’ll add... the budget may be tight but if there is anything you think you like and might want buy it. You will kick yourself forever for not buying a used classic as they only become harder to find and the prices just get higher.
        Last edited by diamond10x; 03-12-2021, 11:19 PM.

Comment

"I don't really need anything, but some bucket list items I have had the itch for are a Tikka, a Remington 700, a lever action, and a 1911."

Tell him this before you even go look or he does.

Hey, I'd really like to have these and if there's any available I have X to offer. These are guns that would mean something to me and I'd love to be the owner of some of your dad's guns.

I'm not too big on the cheese of my last sentence but I'd rather someone I knew had family guns than not if I was selling them.

Comment

He threw some numbers at me at the value of some of these guns...I think they have already been appraised. He ask that I put together a list of what I was interested in and to get back to him. Further complicating things he lives and works on the coast in California, so this may be a lengthy process. Not to mention he is hesitant to ship anything...

Comment

Great input fellas, much appreciated.

Comment

Mmm I should probably go with you to help....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Put some money together and make an offer on all of them. You will get a better deal, and the son won’t have to mess with it.

Comment

Would you it be possible to get the inventory list and share it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Offer him 10k for the lot of 300 and we can just do a TBH express and bet we can make money back and you can keep the 4 you want for free most likely.

Comment

Do him a solid and get a list to post on TBH. Take your picks first and others on here will pay fairer prices for the remaining than an estate sale. Maybe you get a discount for helping him

Comment

Be very careful about buying across state lines. Do a quick Google search and you'll find some good information. Be especially wary if you're dealing with Kalifornia.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                            Offer him 10k for the lot of 300 and we can just do a TBH express and bet we can make money back and you can keep the 4 you want for free most likely.

$33/gun, really?

Comment

Sorry, meant 100k

Comment

Working...
                              X