All protein, no corn???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All protein, no corn???

Angleo pellets in San Angelo, near my lease, has their 17% pellet for $9.98 a bag, this is about the same price as corn is everywhere. I'm thinking about buying an all season timed protein feeder and phasing corn out and going to protein all year long.

Anyone else done this?

Let me first start by saying I have never run timed protein only at my two pens so I'm not for sure how they would react to that exactly. But I, personally, wouldn't make a long term decision for a short term problem. Corn will go down again and it sure slings nice and spreads out. I have both....and the deer still love their corn. They will all eat from the protein feeders but they like the open areas of getting corn too at this time of year.. Right now they are all eating corn then heading to the protein feeder if they do at all. My buck this year went corn first all summer and fall (even though it was trickled compared to the protein)...and I killed him in his first choice that morning of corn

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
      Angleo pellets in San Angelo, near my lease, has their 17% pellet for $9.98 a bag, this is about the same price as corn is everywhere. I'm thinking about buying an all season timed protein feeder and phasing corn out and going to protein all year long.

Anyone else done this?
      I really like my all season timed protein. I feed it year around.

Haven’t stopped feeding corn but I have scaled back on it since adding the timed protein. You could try it and just hand feed corn at your spot when you are down.

Comment

I don’t know if I could completely stop feeding corn though. Lol

Comment

Most of our deer seem to move off the protein and prefer corn during winter/deer season. We still have protein in a couple free-choice feeders right now that haven't been filled since early August. These same deer will be in the pen eating all night during the summer. Last year we had one feeder that had protein in it all through the season until we filled them again in December. They just seem to move off of it for whatever reason.

I wouldn't cut out the corn completely if you can swing it.

Comment

This time of year I would mix it the. bucks want corn in the rut and the cold winter months.

Comment

I haven’t been feeding protein at as I’m low fence and only 400 acres. But another hunter with us does feed protein and he’s seeing way more bucks than me. And he’s not that far away.

I think I’m going to get two protein feeders and start running protein soon and then both all year.

Comment

I have been feeding both year round. I have notice that my protein consumption has gone down in the last month or so, but they are still hammering the corn

Comment

3 years ago I tried to get the deer on protein and they just didn’t come around to it.

I Used free choice feeders and mixed corn and protein in road feeders. Maybe they’d eventually come around but it takes a little time.

I doubt you could switch to protein and immediately see the same attractant results you get from corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We don't use timed corn feeders on my ranch. Only vehicle road feeders. Some years when we had protein left over we used that instead of corn. It never made a difference in the amount of deer seen. Worked just as well as corn.

Comment

Go for it! Feed what’s in your budget and you’ll see results. I do recommend mixing if you are just introducing your deer to protein pellets. Maybe start with a 50/50 Corn-protein mix and then shift to all protein. I do like having a corn feeder in addition to protein, just to let the deer have a selection. We are still free choice protein and although consumption has decreased some compared to summer months, they are still hammering it (acorn crop was the weakest I’ve seen in years on our place).

Good luck to you as it seems like you got a great idea and plan!

Comment

What protein do most people feed. We are going to start feeding protein year round. We are using all season protein feeders with electric timers. My feeder dealer carries Buck seduction at $15 a bag. Is this about ave or is there a better way to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Brannon74 View Post
                          What protein do most people feed. We are going to start feeding protein year round. We are using all season protein feeders with electric timers. My feeder dealer carries Buck seduction at $15 a bag. Is this about ave or is there a better way to go?

As Jerimy stated above, we are paying $10-11/sack for 17% in San Angelo like him. You pretty much use what you can get in your area as its easiest. But I'd probably be looking to haul from somewhere else at $15/sack though.

Comment

I have been trying timed protein only at one spot this year and not seeing any difference in deer numbers compared to the corn feeders. I will use a road feeder with corn 1-2 times leading up and a little before a hunt also and they go right where I want them. Im swapping 3 more pens next year

Comment

Working...
                            X