Texas Sized Hog Trap - Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Sized Hog Trap - Round 2

Some of you may recall the Texas Sized Hog trap I built and set last year.https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=718836

We had some good success at trapping some really big pigs and on one occasion trapping 5 pigs but as expected the pvc slider blew out when 2 very panicked pigs hit it. We did shoot 3 other pigs before they hit the gate.

This time I screwed 2 2x4s on either side of a longer cattle panel to act as guides up and down the pipe. See the left side of the pipe in this photo.

I was also frustrated with the way we tried to wire the horizontal pipe to the tops of those vertical pipes and needed something easier to lift off for driving anything into the plot. So I took scrap 2x4 cedar (already stained), drilled 2 x 2" holes on 3" centers, and drove 2 x 2" galvanized pipes through, leaving about 2" above the cedar plate. Then I put 2 1/4" galvanized screws through the cedar into the pipe caps to hold them in place, provide stability, and to act as a slide stop to keep them on top of the pipes. And, it keeps the spacing right to prevent the pipes from binding onto the gate. I added 2 eye bolts to wire the horizontal pipe to and to attach a guide wire / chain. This acts as a stabilizer when the gate is set open and keeps the pipes from bending backwards.

We also realized during the shooting spree that the pigs ball up in the corner next to the gate so I added a short length cattle panel in a curved fashion to prevent a corner. This was actually the former pvc gate. The big truck tire was placed there to get it out of the way but I'm hoping it also throws the pigs off balance.

So I set the trap but quickly realized the gate was substantially heavier and needed a heavier weight to hold my stick under the tire. The gate was sliding down as the birds and critters ate the corn.

So yesterday I search the net, which ironically (or not) brought me to the thread on hog trap triggers in this section! I instantly saw the solution in the pull pin and set out to use scrap supplies. My ubolt was actually a small piece of box iron with previously welded tabs, which was perfect for holding a pin, which I happened to have a collection of from previous projects. I grabbed an old snap for the gate rope to attach to and a drill to put a hole through the tpost and run a 1/4" lag bolt to attach my "ubolt" to.

After a few test runs I found that the best setting for the pin was barely through the hole. The gate is pretty heavy and takes some effort to move the trigger tire.

The pin is attached to a short rope which runs through the sidewall of the tire and has a knot tied in the end to keep it from slipping back through. There's a half of a bag of corn under the soil, which is only about 1" deep.

Final set up.

Naturally, as I was finishing up the wind picked up and the cold front started coming in. The hogs have not come around yet. I have my wireless camera set up on the gate and as of this morning the gate has not slipped at all.

I am ready for any and all pigs. We are open for business!

Wouldn't it work better if the tire was in line with the pin? You may be able to put the pin in further then.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Looks great to me, but the only thing I would change is the big truck tire in the corner. The pigs might use that to stand on (or each other) and try to jump out of the trap. Nice work!

Comment

Thats awesome! I like that trigger setup. The only issue I could see and it may not be much of one, but what if you put up some sort of barrier for the tire to keep from getting pushed on the back side of the t post and preventing the pin from being pulled? That sue would **** me off ��

Comment

The box iron where your pin runs through, if you find there’s still a bit too much friction on the pin, try finding a couple nylon bushings (or other slick material) that’ll snap in place for both holes. I’ve had to use such bushings on other types of live traps to reduce the friction on the pins, thus taking less effort to pull them. That way it’s not metal rubbing against metal. Works great.

But it would require drilling out the pin holes larger to accept bushings. Guess you could always just try greasing the pin and see if that helps any.
            Last edited by Worksalot; 02-05-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Come on piggies! Nice changes.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                Wouldn't it work better if the tire was in line with the pin? You may be able to put the pin in further then.
                This ^^^ I thought the same thing.

Comment

I don't want to speak for the OP, but I believe the idea is hogs will root and move the tire. Hopefully in the correct direction.

Comment

In for the trapping [emoji256][emoji898][emoji1477]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in!!!

Comment

Stack the pork

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                          The box iron where your pin runs through, if you find there’s still a bit too much friction on the pin, try finding a couple nylon bushings (or other slick material) that’ll snap in place for both holes. I’ve had to use such bushings on other types of live traps to reduce the friction on the pins, thus taking less effort to pull them. That way it’s not metal rubbing against metal. Works great.

But it would require drilling out the pin holes larger to accept bushings. Guess you could always just try greasing the pin and see if that helps any.
                          Agreed. And tire in line with barrier from it getting pushed closer to trigger. Looks great, I might copy your trigger setup. Nice work.

Comment

Oh my, my
                            Oh he** yes

Comment

I don't think the angle of the rope to the tire is much of a deal. The rope from the snap to the gate is straight. The tire is just a tad too much for little pigs but medium to large pigs won't have any trouble.

They visited twice last night but the bigger pigs didn't go to the tire. I put out more corn today.

Comment

Working...
                              X