No announcement yet.

2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I feel I’m in the “my season is effectively over” camp. Was able to hunt around Halloween weekend. Had a lot of activity in one spot we picked up last minute on the new lease. A box blind overlooking a road and fire break in between two young pine thickets. Had low expectations at first but after hand Corning around 300# deer were all over it. Ended up taking two does and a 17” wide 5 point. Some decent 8 points have been hanging around but nothing really worth going after. Haven’t been able to make it and probably won’t be able to get back out until late December. Hopefully something big comes in there and crowns himself the feeder king. Time will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some of the best hunting is yet to come, y’all don’t give up yet

Comment

Another great weekend at the lease!

I saw deer but it's getting a little tougher to catch them in daylight. Some of the bucks that I saw were trailing does with their nose to the ground. Does seem to be bunching up in larger groups again. Cameras on feeders not showing much, but the trail cameras have lots of buck movement. Deer are passing up corn to eat new growth in the clearcuts, so
        I don't expect much feeder action until after the first freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
          Some of the best hunting is yet to come, y’all don’t give up yet
          This. Last year I could have killed every buck on my place after the rut was over in December on corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
            Another great weekend at the lease!

I saw deer but it's getting a little tougher to catch them in daylight. Some of the bucks that I saw were trailing does with their nose to the ground. Does seem to be bunching up in larger groups again. Cameras on feeders not showing much, but the trail cameras have lots of buck movement. Deer are passing up corn to eat new growth in the clearcuts, so
            I don't expect much feeder action until after the first freeze.
            It still amazes me how deer in the same county can react so differently from property to property. Yesterday morning I had 14 or 15 does and 5 bucks at both feeders ( one right and one left on pipeline). I have a 600 lb feeding for 10 seconds and a 300 lb feeding for 5 seconds. At the end of every sit there is no corn left at all. But I have very little hardwood.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              It still amazes me how deer in the same county can react so differently from property to property. Yesterday morning I had 14 or 15 does and 5 bucks at both feeders ( one right and one left on pipeline). I have a 600 lb feeding for 10 seconds and a 300 lb feeding for 5 seconds. At the end of every sit there is no corn left at all. But I have very little hardwood.
              Almost half of our 1400 acres was clear cut this year. I think lots of deer are coming from nearby properties to eat the new growth and I've seen more deer this year than the past 4 years combined. They seem to really like the young shoots of Beautyberry. I corned a road last week and the corn is still there but covered in deer tracks.

Comment

No one saw anything this weekend on my lease in hardin
                County

Comment

[ATTACH]1071411[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1071412[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                    [ATTACH]1071411[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1071412[/ATTACH]
                    Well ****. That explains why my dad started seeing bucks chasing on our place the day after I left. Figures.

Comment

Interesting comments by Dr. Deer.

While there were reports of isolated rutting during our normal time in mid October, it never was just balls to the walls like it normally is.

Last weekend I saw a little activity, but this morning, I watch two mature bucks actively molest the does with intent. This is the first I have seen this in person this year. I have watched these same bucks till now completely ignore the does. I just attributed this to second rut activity. I am also getting some pics of bucks have not seen this year as well, as it seems they are actively trolling.

I don’t know what to think.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                        Interesting comments by Dr. Deer.

While there were reports of isolated rutting during our normal time in mid October, it never was just balls to the walls like it normally is.

Last weekend I saw a little activity, but this morning, I watch two mature bucks actively molest the does with intent. This is the first I have seen this in person this year. I have watched these same bucks till now completely ignore the does. I just attributed this to second rut activity. I am also getting some pics of bucks have not seen this year as well, as it seems they are actively trolling.

I don’t know what to think.
                        I'm thinking you should be out hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                          I'm thinking you should be out hunting.
                          I still am

Unfortunately, nothing since about 10:15am.

Comment

Anybody heard anything about Anderson County as far as the late rut? I have only hunted there once this year and it was quiet.

I was fortunate to take my son up in Cass County this past weekend and shot a spike at my father in laws (they didn't want to waste a tag on it and called me). But no lie, 5 minutes after I shot the spike, my son and I were sitting in the stand, and out walks a 8 point checking scrapes down the treeline like nothing happened and there is a dead spike 20 yards from him.

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post
                              Anybody heard anything about Anderson County as far as the late rut? I have only hunted there once this year and it was quiet.

I was fortunate to take my son up in Cass County this past weekend and shot a spike at my father in laws (they didn't want to waste a tag on it and called me). But no lie, 5 minutes after I shot the spike, my son and I were sitting in the stand, and out walks a 8 point checking scrapes down the treeline like nothing happened and there is a dead spike 20 yards from him.
                              My dad has seen more bucks on our place the last 3 days than at anytime in the 7 years we’ve owned the place. It’s been insane.

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post

We are about 28 days after the last does were hot on our place in Houston County so the does that weren't bred ought to be in estrous again. We are right on the Houston/Anderson County line.

Comment

Working...
                                X