Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamprabbit59 View Post
    About 25 years ago one of my bro in laws who was 11-12 at the time, was hunting with my father in law. They were both guests hunting some big expensive corporate lease. So they’re hunting together and my FIL dozes off in the stand one morning and my BIL drops a cow stone cold dead at 300 yds with a 25-06 round to the spine. FIL nearly had a heart attack when the gun went off then had to go back to camp and explain that my BIL said he was “practicing” shooting at the cow but didn’t realize he took the safety off. Cost my FIL about $800. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made me chuckle! Dang, I bet he didn’t fall asleep in the blind with him again!

Comment

Originally posted by swamprabbit59 View Post
      About 25 years ago one of my bro in laws who was 11-12 at the time, was hunting with my father in law. They were both guests hunting some big expensive corporate lease. So they’re hunting together and my FIL dozes off in the stand one morning and my BIL drops a cow stone cold dead at 300 yds with a 25-06 round to the spine. FIL nearly had a heart attack when the gun went off then had to go back to camp and explain that my BIL said he was “practicing” shooting at the cow but didn’t realize he took the safety off. Cost my FIL about $800. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      That's awesome, I hope they got plenty of meat

Comment

Had a guest shoot a 1yo ten point about 120 b&c , when told all deer are off the kill list and shoot only hogs, his excuse was well it was a 10 and i shoot all 10’s no matter what.
        He never got a invite back and I learned that never let a guest sit by himself no matter how inconvenient it is

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
          Had a guest shoot a 1yo ten point about 120 b&c , when told all deer are off the kill list and shoot only hogs, his excuse was well it was a 10 and i shoot all 10’s no matter what.
          He never got a invite back and I learned that never let a guest sit by himself no matter how inconvenient it is
          What a ****!

Comment

Dadgummit one year old 10’s are hard to come by

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
              Dadgummit one year old 10’s are hard to come by
              MTE!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Some of these people deserve a beating….. The gall some of these folks have is amazing to me. I’ve hunted on dozens of ranches and NEVER would dream of doing what some of these idiots have done…. Just blows my mind..

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
                  This thread and the thread on family holidays are two of the best on this site.
                  Can you post a link to the family holidays thread? Or send me a PM?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    Can you post a link to the family holidays thread? Or send me a PM?
                    https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=568831

please excuse brevity and dictation errors.

Comment

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post
                      https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=568831

please excuse brevity and dictation errors.
                      Oh that one! LOL Yeah, that one is greatness.

Comment

My family (grandpa and 4 sons) owned the property at the end of Wildwood road in Skidmore. Small town. Everybody knew everybody - especially on our street.

Every morning, Grandpa would corn the edge of his yard nearest the pasture to enjoy coffee while the "tame" deer fed. Seemed to be same few mature does every morning. The neighbors quickly caught on and it became part of everyone's morning ritual.

Well one weekend, my uncle's oldest son came out for the opener of general season. I remember "Marcus is here... Just heard him hit the cattle guard." and then the confusion on my dad's face when we heard a gunshot seconds later. Everyone stopped what they were doing to run down the caliche road to granpa's house where marcus was parked on the driveway - hooting and hollering in excitement about the easiest hunt he's ever been on. I can vividly remember the look on my grandpas face when he walked out and realized that Marcus had shot "Peaches." He was a quiet, mean man. Had never heard him yell the way he did.

Neighbors were ******. Grandparents were ******. Marcus didn't hunt the family farm for several years thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                          My family (grandpa and 4 sons) owned the property at the end of Wildwood road in Skidmore. Small town. Everybody knew everybody - especially on our street.

Every morning, Grandpa would corn the edge of his yard nearest the pasture to enjoy coffee while the "tame" deer fed. Seemed to be same few mature does every morning. The neighbors quickly caught on and it became part of everyone's morning ritual.

Well one weekend, my uncle's oldest son came out for the opener of general season. I remember "Marcus is here... Just heard him hit the cattle guard." and then the confusion on my dad's face when we heard a gunshot seconds later. Everyone stopped what they were doing to run down the caliche road to granpa's house where marcus was parked on the driveway - hooting and hollering in excitement about the easiest hunt he's ever been on. I can vividly remember the look on my grandpas face when he walked out and realized that Marcus had shot "Peaches." He was a quiet, mean man. Had never heard him yell the way he did.

Neighbors were ******. Grandparents were ******. Marcus didn't hunt the family farm for several years thereafter.
                          So the moral of the story is never make a pet out of a wild animal.. Especially one that eats good!!!!!

Comment

Had a similar story up at my place. Brought a friend to hunt about 3 or 4 years ago and told him we were gunning for does & spikes (but it was still general season). I watched a beautiful 3 year old perfectly symmetrical 8 point hoover corn for about an hour before he walked off and headed for the other feeder. About 15 minutes later I hear my buddy shoot.

Yep. He shot the 8. I asked why he shot that deer and his excuse was it was the biggest 8 he's ever seen. I told him we were hunting does & spikes and he tells me (I'm paraphrasing a bit)
                            "what's the point in that?...I don't even eat deer meat, I shoot em for the horns"

He was never invited back
                            Last edited by JonBoy; 11-08-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

...his excuse was well it was a 10 and i shoot all 10’s no matter what.
                              Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                              I asked why he shot that deer and his excuse was it was the biggest 8 he's ever seen. I told him we were hunting does & spikes and he tells me (I'm paraphrasing a bit)
                              "what's the point in that?...I don't even eat deer meat, I shoot em for the horns"
                              If I ever had a "friend" out to hunt and they did something like that, they not only wouldn't ever be invited back out, but I also wouldn't let them take the animal they just shot either! Can't follow the rules, then you don't get the animal!

But then again, I don't typically associate with those types of people.

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                                If I ever had a "friend" out to hunt and they did something like that, they not only wouldn't ever be invited back out, but I also wouldn't let them take the animal they just shot either! Can't follow the rules, then you don't get the animal!

But then again, I don't typically associate with those types of people.
                                You can technically call the GW and bust your "friend" for poaching. He shot a deer he didn't have permission to shoot. Permission was only given to shoot a Doe/Spike in this case.

Comment

Working...
                                X