Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bumping deer on the way in to your stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping deer on the way in to your stand.

Well this morning walking in little before light I had a few deer on the corn well I bumped them and haven't seen anything return. Wind is rite and seen a few does far off but never came in range, so what do y'all do when you know there are deer near your stand do you walk in anyways with hopes they return or back out completely ?

First question is were you late and/or why was corn on the ground?

Comment

Come in earlier, change the setup, hunt evenings, corn later in the morning.

Comment

I was in about 20 min before light should I get here a hour early?
        Second is I pour corn a little away from the feeder for closer shot if possible the feeder went off at 715

Comment

Yeah sounds like you're either feeding too early or you may have had extra corn laying out from the evening before. But like what Mudslinger said, if you're feeding too early you may wanna change the time on the spinner. I've got mine set to sling around 645 which would make me in my blind well over an hour before corn is on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt life View Post
            Second is I pour corn a little away from the feeder for closer shot if possible the feeder went off at 715

Yes, you need to be in the stand more than 20 minutes early. I try and be situated almost an hour before the feeder throws.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt life View Post
              If ewrly you qre on time, in time you are late. I use to bump deer that way, going to stand. I usually get on a morning stand about hour or better before light. Depending on what stand I am in, might take a cat nap.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I get in 30 to 45 minutes before the feeder goes off and I have mine set to go off 30 minutes before sunrise, right at legal shooting light. I also put out chum corn in the morning when I get there.

Comment

I never have that issue, I'm in my stand at least an hour before my feeder goes off or if I'm hunting a trail im in way too early. I like to get settled in my stand way before any animals even think about moving around.

Comment

Thanks everyone looks like I need to get in earlyer that's probably way I'll try tomorrow

Comment

Last year it was completely different they all had a same route and moved mid morning let's see what happens tomorrow

Comment

I'm sure I'm different than most but I drive up 15 minutes or so before the feeder goes off and I drive the ranger right to the stand and toss out hand corn and put everything in the blind while the rangers running and then drive it off a couple hundred yards and park it and walk back quickly. The ranger scatters the deer as I drive up and they're usually back in the hand corn before I can see to shoot. When I park way off and try to sneak in they blow at me and run off and I usually don't see anything that sit! If I do it's late when I'm already thinking about heading in for breakfast. I'm not one for getting in a stand an hour or more before daylight though. I'm lucky to slip in at 7am and make it to 930!

Comment

This year with all the green and acorns on the ground, there is probably going to be a lot more leftover corn under feeders compared to recent years. We normally have coons scraping dirt for corn bits on camera at night, but there has been plenty left for them an any deer that come through at night or super early in the am. I'd imagine that's why you have deer earlier than normal. They are going to come when they want if it's still on the ground. Had to cut the feeders way back opening weekend but according to my Covert it is still there... Deer just have way too much to eat to get rid of it all. If I wasn't 5 hours away, I'd prob cut it back some more.

Comment

Funny as you look at the trail cam time stamps some days its perfect other times I have deer and hogs in at all hours non stop so little to no way to stop from bumping much of anything

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                              Funny as you look at the trail cam time stamps some days its perfect other times I have deer and hogs in at all hours non stop so little to no way to stop from bumping much of anything

Same for us. We have deer that will stage and wait for the feeder to go off 40-50 yards away from the pen too and getting in without bumping them can be a chore.We just can't control where they will be. And I know I'm speaking to the choir...just conversing..

At our place if the deer need the corn, they'll come back. If they don't "need it" like now, we probably won't see them again that hunt. I just try to get in an hour before the feeder goes off and take my chances. Luckily we have such a good deer population, it usually doesn't ruin a hunt.... But when food supplies are high like now, it can certainly make it slooooow.

Comment

Working...
                              X