Fishing Port A w/out a boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing Port A w/out a boat

We're headed to Port A next Friday to get away and de-compress after our youngest finished up his senior year of baseball and graduates next Wed. I'm not taking my boat but I wouldn't mind trying to do a little fishing while we're there. I'm not experienced in fishing Port A without a boat. I've never done a party boat type trip but I'm open if others have had good experiences. I'm all open to other options as well (jetty/wading, etc..). Right now the weather is shaky, looks like some scattered showers and 15mph winds Fri/Sat/Sun so I will have to play it by ear. We're gonna try to do an offshore trip later in the summer for him and a hand full of his buddies for a graduation gift. That will be out of POC. Thanks in advance.

Jetty's are a good option. I like packers channel on the Padre island side. Fish a shrimp feeling or 4 ft under a popping cork as close to the rocks as you can.

Comment

I’ve had some really fun trips on the party boats out of Port A. You’re a bit early for snapper and kingfish. Bring your patience and it can be fun. Mostly vermillion snapper the last few 8 hour trips.

IMHO- the N jetty has the most consistent opportunity at quality trout, reds and drum for shore bound anglers. The price of the trip went up recently.

I spoke to someone last week that was having good success on the gulf pier at night in recent weeks

The offshore forecast looks terrible this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are fishing near there today/tonight

Comment

I second the North Jetty. But go prepared and take the first boat over. Never know what you may catch off that jetty.

Comment

I went to Port A, 2 years ago in June. Did a party boat, in shore with my oldest son. We probably caught 30 gaftop in the 3 hours we fished. It was a blast. Only cost me about 50-60$ I think. Great time! I want to say we did the trip with Deep Sea Headquarters. Maybe check them out.

Comment

Lots of areas to wade fish. I used to wade in the Lydia Ann channel and catch some good trout, just be mindful of the Large ships coming thru as you don't want to be in the channel when they do.

Lots of areas south and west of Port A proper you can wade as well.

Comment

You can walk in at Wilson's Cut and Brown and Root to wade fish. There was a guy on the highway to AP that used to rent kayaks and I think that is still there. With a kayak, you can fish brown and root as well as lighthouse lakes for redfish.

Comment

Packery Channel.

Comment

I appreciate all of the suggestions, I have heard of people taking a boat over to San Jose Island but I've never done it. I will just have to keep an eye on the weather and make a decision as it nears. BTW, going next weekend (27-30th), not this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
                      Packery Channel.
                      I've been through it coming in from offshore, never fished it. What's the best way?

Comment

Shoot there’s a thread about corpus area wade fishing about once a week how could you not know by now lol

Comment

Not sure where you live but I have a kayak near Leander I need dropped off in George West (about 3-4 miles off I-37). If you want to use it and then drop it off on your way back home let me know. It's an Ocean Kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
                            I've been through it coming in from offshore, never fished it. What's the best way?
                            See post #2 and it should read "free line"

Comment

Catching some nice trout at the old fish pass jetties. Top water on a calm morning is a blast but hasn’t been to many calm mornings. Medium diver mirror lure and of course live shrimp. South Bay bait stand just got their 1st Crocker of the season last week.
                              Jetty boat to San Jose is down for repair but is supposed to be ready tomorrow I believe. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X