Restoring old pickup advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring old pickup advice

Need some advice from you guys that have restored an older vehicle.
    Let’s say the vehicle runs but not very well and everything else will need work.
    What do you start with? Engine, body, interior, wiring?
    What steps do you recommend?

Get it running good. That will keep you interested. Then you can move it around and it won’t kill the grass in one spot. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't do it. Usually have lots more money in it that you can sale it for. If you enjoy the process, more power to you.

Comment

In for answers. I always imagined it would be vitals (engine, transmission, etc.) followed by accessories (power windows, headlights, windshield replacement), then interior, then exterior.

Comment

Really depends on the level of restoration you are doing. A complete restore, the first thing is pull the engine, body, then do frame.

Comment

drivetrain, brakes & suspension are easy. Body work on an older car is the wild card. You may get her undressed and find out that the only good parts are the emblems. If you can't do body work it will get expensive. Crate engines etc are cheap. have fun and good luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
              Don't do it. Usually have lots more money in it that you can sale it for. If you enjoy the process, more power to you.
              Understand that completely. I took a half restored CJ5 and finished it out a few years ago and did sell it for about half of what I had in it. This one would be from start to finish. I think it’s the process that intrigues me plus it’s the same kind of truck my grandfather and I messed with 30 yrs ago. Plus not looking to restore and flip.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                drivetrain, brakes & suspension are easy. Body work on an older car is the wild card. You may get her undressed and find out that the only good parts are the emblems. If you can't do body work it will get expensive. Crate engines etc are cheap. have fun and good luck with it!
                I don’t do bodywork. How much rust is to much rust and what do you look for?

Comment

take it to a body work guy to get an assessment. an individual, not necessarily a shop that is looking for busness.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                    Understand that completely. I took a half restored CJ5 and finished it out a few years ago and did sell it for about half of what I had in it. This one would be from start to finish. I think it’s the process that intrigues me plus it’s the same kind of truck my grandfather and I messed with 30 yrs ago. Plus not looking to restore and flip.
                    You have been there, and done that. Don't do it again.

Instead, find a restored version of the truck you want, then buy that. It will save you tons of time and money.

Comment

The first step is to get it titled in your name.

Comment

The last old pickup I restored cost me $54K! Don’t do it is my experience!

Comment

Did everything on a old Toyota pickup. My frame is pretty good but if I could do it again I would have sent the frame to be sand plaster and cleaned up before I started everything else. Now that it runs good I don’t want to pull everything to get to the harder bits.

Comment

I am about 80% through one. First thing is get it running, but have a plan. I rebuilt my 2 barrel carb, just to add a 4 barrel once I got it moving. I had a radiator flushed and pressure tested just to recore a few months later when I realized I would be getting AC. I would do engine and brakes first. You will spend far more than the vehicle is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                              Get it running good. That will keep you interested. Then you can move it around and it won’t kill the grass in one spot. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Thats really a good point....

Comment

Working...
                              X