Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Doctors and billing - Getting worse?

My daughter went to see a new doctor since her other one couldn't figure out her issue. To sum up...she had a basic office visit and then lab work.

Finally a couple months later the bill arrives. Of course it was confusing but boils down to this. She owes $350 for the office visit (new patient visit) and $283 office out patient visit,new after Medishare paid $135. No idea what this charge even is. Wife still trying to sort it out.

So total is $768 plus lab work (which was $173)

Seems mighty crazy to me. we haven't been to the doctor in a few years so wondering if they all went nuts.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 08:51 PM   #2
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

It’s nuts. I joined with Dr. Franklin’s practice here in llano. 80 bucks a month but visits and things like labs, shots, stitches etc. are free. It’s saved me a chuck of change over the last couple years.
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #3
JRL
Ten Point

Texas legislators have been touting surprise billing and hospital pricing transparency bills that they’ve passed. Shockingly seem to be just more hot air.
JRL is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #4
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

Doctors filing claims does not always depend on them

Insurance companies always like to deny claims which hold everything up

They need the notes, wrong modifiers, other issues

They kee fighting the claim and after 6 months I surnaf e finally decided to pay the claim. Then the doctors finally send out the bill for the claim
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 09:05 PM   #5
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Incompetent people running these offices
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 09:29 PM   #6
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Texas legislators have been touting surprise billing and hospital pricing transparency bills that theyíve passed. Shockingly seem to be just more hot air.

I had to go to the ER a month ago or so.

I signed an estimate for $1,200 before they did anything. This was after insurance.

They billed me over double that. Its BS.
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 09:32 PM   #7
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

How could this be if Obama care fixed it all
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 09:34 PM   #8
OldRiverRat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Itís a complete disaster as is the whole
Medical system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #9
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
My daughter went to see a new doctor since her other one couldn't figure out her issue. To sum up...she had a basic office visit and then lab work.

Finally a couple months later the bill arrives. Of course it was confusing but boils down to this. She owes $350 for the office visit (new patient visit) and $283 office out patient visit,new after Medishare paid $135. No idea what this charge even is. Wife still trying to sort it out.

Seems mighty crazy to me. we haven't been to the doctor in a few years so wondering if they all went nuts.
I am fighting/contesting various bills I got from my office visits/test procedures from March(all of march). Have a meeting planned for the finance dept. at St. David's in Round Rock.

1 bill I got was for Dr. visits during test procedure...neither one was there.
then I called (twice) about what my out of pocket cost would be(they had all my insurance info) 150.00, OK, I'll do my procedure there...they sent me a 500.00 bill. bassturds
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 10:11 PM   #10
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

You need to ask for itemized bill, see what exactly insurance covered.

I’m still getting bills from my sons kidney surgery, 8 months later.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 10:17 PM   #11
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Took my kiddo to a stand along ER back in October to get stitches, still haven’t received a bill for it
texasdeerhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 10:48 PM   #12
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
You need to ask for itemized bill, see what exactly insurance covered.

Iím still getting bills from my sons kidney surgery, 8 months later.
If you meant to quote Huntindad then yes.

But my daughter was just an office visit. Regular visit the doc like if you had pink eye and needed a script.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:56 PM   #13
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
If you meant to quote Huntindad then yes.

But my daughter was just an office visit. Regular visit the doc like if you had pink eye and needed a script.

I thought medishare paid anything over 500.00 in full. Am I reading that her insurance was medishare only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 05:32 AM   #14
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

Folks your all imagining this! It’s really not happening. It’s “racist disinformation “. Did you read the fine print? There is a small surcharge for white supremacy!
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 06:10 AM   #15
deerslayer64d
Ten Point

I had a ER visit on March 10 , they admitted me to the hospital for a couple days for iv antibiotics = $65k Iím still getting satellite bills from others who read this report or drew some blood or looked at a ex ray on top of the $65k ! Now scheduled for surgery on Monday that god only knows what will end up costing me!

deerslayer64d is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 06:38 AM   #16
gatt40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever

Had same experiences with my dentist. Arguing with office staff is mute. I will be looking for a new dentist, but the thing is I like mine, just not the way is staff runs things.
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 06:46 AM   #17
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer64d View Post
I had a ER visit on March 10 , they admitted me to the hospital for a couple days for iv antibiotics = $65k I’m still getting satellite bills from others who read this report or drew some blood or looked at a ex ray on top of the $65k ! Now scheduled for surgery on Monday that god only knows what will end up costing me!

This is fraudulent crime right here.
They squeeze those that can pay, to cover those that can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
Folks your all imagining this! It’s really not happening. It’s “racist disinformation “. Did you read the fine print? There is a small surcharge for white supremacy!
Your white privilege is being able to log onto a computer made with overseas child labor to complain about how much of your wealth you might have to part with to pay for upper tier healthcare most of the world doesn't enjoy while most likely sucking down some air conditioning.....living in a climate controlled environment- that is causing global warming.. I mean climate change...
Oh snap, I can repeat there talking points.....must unplug soon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Texas legislators have been touting surprise billing and hospital pricing transparency bills that they’ve passed. Shockingly seem to be just more hot air.
Reminds me of the obviously worthless "no texting while driving" toilet paper law they passed a few years ago.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 06:58 AM   #18
sp-bow
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Went to see a heart Dr a few months ago. It ended up being just over $2500 out of pocket after Dr visit, ultra sound and stress test and follow up. Not sure how much insurance paid. Found nothing wrong and wanted me to come back in 6 months. No thanks.

Think we end up paying more for the ones that don't/can't pay.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 07:18 AM   #19
DaveC
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp-bow View Post
Went to see a heart Dr a few months ago. It ended up being just over $2500 out of pocket after Dr visit, ultra sound and stress test and follow up. Not sure how much insurance paid. Found nothing wrong and wanted me to come back in 6 months. No thanks.

Think we end up paying more for the ones that don't/can't pay.
The heart Dr I used last year did something similar.

After a heart catheterization he called me back in to discuss what he found, which was exactly what he told me and my wife bedside post op.

I figured he found a smoking gun and wanted to tell me in person, nope just repeated exactly what I had already heard.
I got to wear that "I wonder what he has to say" for a weekend before finding out- nuthin.
They also tried to schedule the 6 month check-up appointment- I'm pretty sure I made their naughty list when leaving the office.

They refunded ~$950 when I knew they had overcharged us.
Then they wanted some of that back later.
Whoever is handling the books must be a cross-eyed dyslexic.
(no offense to the cross-eyed dyslexics out there, I just don't think medical billing is your calling).
Old 05-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #20
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

This is why people cannot and don't pay medical bills. Sucks but the average hard working american can't pay these rates
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #21
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
This is why people cannot and don't pay medical bills. Sucks but the average hard working american can't pay these rates
Also not about can't pay...It's about not getting scammed/conned out of your money.
And no, they won't tell you upfront a lot of times what anything will cost. I always tell the wife to ask upfront.

So question in post #1 is at what point is it a straight con job where I should not feel guilty to not pay for a simple office visit?

I know how we're handling this specific visit/bill. But geez.. it's getting crazier.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #22
kingranch
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
Medical system

this!

Thats one reason Im in the field it pays decent and I have alot of connections for cheap or free medical care.
Speaking of anyone needs radiology svc hit me up Ill pass on the tbh inside deal
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:07 AM   #23
WRasco
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX NM & CO but open to suggestions

OP - I feel your pain.

It is a vicious cycle. All the insurance paperwork drives up cost up and complicates the bill. You'll notice there are more people working the billing/finance part of the business than tending patients.

I use to be able to go to the doctor or dentist to get looked at and it was a flat fee. Maybe have to set up a payment plan. Now they have to fill out forms for insurance. Parts of which gets denied by insurance, so the doctors push those back to the patient. Docs have to cover all that extra finance help so they through in all the extra cost.

Funny thing is now veterinarians are getting into the insurance game. Can't wait for those bills to be $1,500.
WRasco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #24
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie

Wife and I get bills from collection agencies after our insurance company has denied negotiation, drives me crazy getting billed on something’s 6-8 months later I don’t even know about.
It’s a credit hit when sent to collections
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #25
AZ&F'sDaddy
Ten Point

Damm doctors.
AZ&F'sDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #26
RedYote
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
Damm doctors.
A lot less than you think is making it to the physicians. You have a choice to see them or not.
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 11:38 AM   #27
DaveC
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
Damm doctors.
Touchť Mr. Anesthesiologist
Old 05-04-2022, 11:42 AM   #28
RedYote
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Got me
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 11:53 AM   #29
boomerball
Ten Point

We got a $200.check last week from some kids urgent care place which we had not been to for close to 2yrs. No clue why, but kinda wanted to call them up and ask for some vig. $200 ain't worth what is was back then
boomerball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 12:43 PM   #30
warrington
Ten Point

I believe that we should all just go to tractor supply for our care. We know what we are getting , what it treats. No reason to see doctors

We that gripe shouldn't go. we know that it's going to be expensive when we go so self treatment would be best. We can get antibiotics, antifungals, and vaccines from TSC.

Medicine is one business that can't not write off bad debt. Bad debt is not the kinsurance adjustment, it is the amount that patients owe that they don't pay. They can't write it off on their income tax like all other businesses.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #31
warrington
Ten Point

Default Cash price

[QUOTE=WRasco;16204363]OP - I feel your pain.

It is a vicious cycle. All the insurance paperwork drives up cost up and complicates the bill. You'll notice there are more people working the billing/finance part of the business than tending patients.

I use to be able to go to the doctor or dentist to get looked at and it was a flat fee. Maybe have to set up a payment plan. Now they have to fill out forms for insurance. Parts of which gets denied by insurance, so the doctors push those back to the patient. Docs have to cover all that extra finance help so they through in all the extra cost.

Funny thing is now veterinarians are getting into the insurance game. Can't wait for those bills to be $1,500.[/QUOTE

We can all go to the doctor and ask for cash pricing. Every doctors office will be different. A lot of insurances will Reimburseyou if you send it into them ]
Old 05-04-2022, 12:51 PM   #32
Rwc
Pope & Young

My bride has become a master at billing discrepancies.......the way doctor offices code the visit sheets sometimes are comical to say the least.

Became much more educated when the company I work for offered a high deductible health plan where the first X thousand comes out of pocket before insurance plan kicks in.......

Rwc
Rwc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #33
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Quote:

You ain't seen nothin yet. Just wait until you have to deal with Medicare AND the insurance companies. Those guys can't communicate with each other Por Caca!>
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 01:37 PM   #34
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
You ain't seen nothin yet. Just wait until you have to deal with Medicare AND the insurance companies. Those guys can't communicate with each other Por Caca!>
Youíre not kidding, itís a 3 ring circus without a ringmaster! I went for my regular visit with my cardiologist and was presented a bill for procedures in 20/21! Since my wife handles the bills, I paid for the visit and took the bill home. She found out that the bills were ones she had negotiated a settlement for and the collection firm was trying to recoup the rest of the bills, told them to shove it. The billing clerk said it happens all the time, now we ask for a itemized bill for the amount in question and the collection firm usually quits calling.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 03:04 PM   #35
AZ&F'sDaddy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

My billers tell me we collect 47% of what we bill for. And, because of the stupid way things are set up, my billers get 7.5% of everything collected. Sheesh! Nice gig!
I never look at a patient's insurance or lack thereof and I've saved the lives of many people who never pay a dime. That's okay; so many people are in very desperate situations. I'm not crying poor or complaining.
For what it's worth, I go to Guatemala every year to provide anesthesia for free to people who are in need.
AZ&F'sDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #36
Redfeathers
Six Point

Any medical bill I receive now, I get an itemized statement before paying anything. After the ***** show that we went through with my mom's surgery, never again!
Redfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #37
bow4my2
Pope & Young

Call me. I do it for a living
bow4my2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 05:12 PM   #38
jer_james
Pope & Young

It’s insane … Seems it always will be.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 05:23 PM   #39
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Health insurance is a scam at this point. Then OB care forcing someone to have health insurance is even worse. The fact that I pay almost 9k a year for my wife's insurance and my company pays 6k for me and we have to ****ing pay anything out of pocket for the stupid small visits, xrays and etc is bullcrap. Insurance and health facilities (the business side of them) have turn health care to much into a business and its inflated to a absolute BS level.

Knowing the cost of certain equipment like some 32" monitors costing tens of thousands of dollars for a freaking LG TV that is 500$ and can do almost the same because "its for your health" is bullcrap
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 05:28 PM   #40
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa

Wife and I are on Medicare and a supplemental with a drug policy. We pay for premiums for those, but I have not paid a penny for any Doctor visits, even the 24 hour emergency types, not a penny for surgeries and our prescriptions for me are only $2 each per month. Wife's are a little more expensive. Guess we are lucky being retired.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #41
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

I’ll put you down with chloroform and do your deal for next to nuttin!
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2022, 06:06 PM   #42
Redfeathers
Six Point

After the ***** show we went through, the trouble and time we went through, the threating letters of sending you to debt collectors etc.(never been late on any bill). After it was all said and done, they finally removed some of the BS, not all of it. Sent them a $5 check for years Get an itemized list and go over it very closely!
Old 05-04-2022, 09:57 PM   #43
KGreene
Six Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County

My wife has an infusion twice a year, they bill my insurance $165,000. In all reality the meds probably cost them less than a tank of gas.
KGreene is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2022, 04:25 AM   #44
deerslayer64d
Ten Point

Got another surprise yesterday for a ER visit 1-3-2022 that I paid in full on 3-15-2022. Got a bill for more then the ER visit was saying it was for private practice doctors that saw me while I was there . Iím pretty sure they can pound sand with this one

deerslayer64d is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2022, 01:21 PM   #45
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Follow up...

Wife has been on the phone with doctors office (speaking with multiple people). It's freaking insane! They can't explain anything. Can't give numbers at all. It's a huge circle jerk.
All we got was they code office visits by levels 1-4 $65-$283
Pretty much every question we ask we hear "Let me put you on hold for a minute"

And they claim our daughter was also given a physical which was the other $350 charge. My wife was with her and it was a standard office visit. Blood pressure, breathing check, pulse.. that's it.

So if her visit was level 4 what the crap is a level 1? Just walk in the front door and turn around and leave? LOL

Then of course we get the You should have paid in full at time of the visit line... We were not given that option as it took them 2 months to figure out how much to try and charge us. Hell I called as a potential new patient and asked how much my first office visit would be and they had no clue.

Supposedly the office manager will be calling back. But it's looking like they'll either get nothing or $5 a month. We are tired of trying to figure this out and square up with them..For a regular doctor office visit!!

Oh and then we asked about a telehealth visit for when she needs the prescription renewed... And yep, no idea what that would cost.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #46
Redfeathers
Six Point

Yup, a check for $5 monthly works great! Had they not charged for bs items that were not provided and went about their exploratory surgery, they would have been paid normally.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:12 PM   #47
Lights Out
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wise County

Sad sad situation with big insurance ruling what we pay for medical care.
Lights Out is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2022, 08:42 PM   #48
sailor
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
Medical system

Try the V.A. Disaster, doesn't even come close....
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2022, 09:42 PM   #49
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Follow up...

Wife has been on the phone with doctors office (speaking with multiple people). It's freaking insane! They can't explain anything. Can't give numbers at all. It's a huge circle jerk.
All we got was they code office visits by levels 1-4 $65-$283
Pretty much every question we ask we hear "Let me put you on hold for a minute"

And they claim our daughter was also given a physical which was the other $350 charge. My wife was with her and it was a standard office visit. Blood pressure, breathing check, pulse.. that's it.

So if her visit was level 4 what the crap is a level 1? Just walk in the front door and turn around and leave? LOL

Then of course we get the You should have paid in full at time of the visit line... We were not given that option as it took them 2 months to figure out how much to try and charge us. Hell I called as a potential new patient and asked how much my first office visit would be and they had no clue.

Supposedly the office manager will be calling back. But it's looking like they'll either get nothing or $5 a month. We are tired of trying to figure this out and square up with them..For a regular doctor office visit!!

Oh and then we asked about a telehealth visit for when she needs the prescription renewed... And yep, no idea what that would cost.
When I went to the ER recently, I got billed from the hospital and the physicians. The physicans coded the ER visit at a Higher value(4 vs. 3) emerency. after I questioned how they came up with their emergency value(multiple times)...they ended up just dropping my charages.

Currently dealing with Round Rock Hospital about their Out of Pocket expense and then getting a big bill afterwards. Bunch of dam# crooks.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2022, 09:53 PM   #50
OldRiverRat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Try the V.A. Disaster, doesn't even come close....

My step dad died in the VA literally in my arms
You ainít telling me anything hand

OldRiverRat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top