Crossbow? Should I buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbow? Should I buy

Hey y'all, so I currently have a compound I bought when I moved down from Canada and didn't realize I can use a crossbow without being disabled ( I had assumed because that's what Alberta is). Is there a point for me to get one? I feel like hunting may be a bit easier with a crossbow vs a compound. What are some selling points for both?

I wouldn't buy one unless I couldn't shoot a compound.
    With that said, I own two. Had to use an xbow after a bad spinal fracture. Now I let my 9 yo grandson use it though I'm already weaning him off to his compound.

Comment

If you practice occasionally a XBow is the way to go. If you shoot regularly a compound will be fine. I switched to a Xbow about 4 years ago and have no regrets. I enjoy it just as much as a compound.

Just use whatever makes you the happiest.

Comment

i bought one for my boys to shoot and they love it, other than my AR, they would rather hunt with the crossbow than their deer rifles. i havent killed anything with it yet but have thought about taking it next year when i am in the pop up, especially if i am on the ground.

Comment

Stick with your compound bow for sure.

Comment

My son has a $300 xbow package that will out shoot the most expensive compounds on the market.

Comment

If I didn't have a shoulder issue I would have stuck with a compound bow. Nothing more exciting than being close to what your hunt. A crossbow is accurate up to 60 yards, so might as well shoot a gun!

Comment

I shoot both out of my ground blind, just depends on how I am feeling that day.

Comment

I shoot with both , my crossbows definitely more powerful than my compound but they are both deadly accurate , I think you'll enjoy hunting with it, either way be safe and blessed

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    i bought one for my boys to shoot and they love it, other than my AR, they would rather hunt with the crossbow than their deer rifles. i havent killed anything with it yet but have thought about taking it next year when i am in the pop up, especially if i am on the ground.
                    Agreed! My boys love it and rather use it than rifles. Now, I'm wanting to shoot something with it.

Comment

Why do you have a compound bow?

Is it because you really like them and want to hunt with it?

Or is it because you want to hunt archery season and that was the only way you could (you thought).

If you're thinking you might like a crossbow, you are probably right.

I hunted with a compound for about 25 years before making the switch.

The 3 biggest advantages I see with a crossbow are: 1) Scope - I aim way better with one and a good scope also offers a great advantage in low light conditions when I used to not be able to see my sights, 2) Not having to draw to shoot and 3) Practice time - I had to shoot a compound a lot to stay good with it. Not so much with a crossbow.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                        Why do you have a compound bow?

Is it because you really like them and want to hunt with it?

Or is it because you want to hunt archery season and that was the only way you could (you thought).

If you're thinking you might like a crossbow, you are probably right.

I hunted with a compound for about 25 years before making the switch.

The 3 biggest advantages I see with a crossbow are: 1) Scope - I aim way better with one and a good scope also offers a great advantage in low light conditions when I used to not be able to see my sights, 2) Not having to draw to shoot and 3) Practice time - I had to shoot a compound a lot to stay good with it. Not so much with a crossbow.
                        I bought a compound to get the extra time to hunt and yes, I thought that's the only way I could hunt. Read the regs after I bought my compound.

Comment

Whichever one you're more comfortable with. Or accurate with or which suits your fancy when you leave camp in the morning!! Your choice, either is legal in Texas for deer.

Comment

Did the oil and gas industry bring you down here from Alberta?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Did the oil and gas industry bring you down here from Alberta?
                              No. My wife did. I also came unemployed down here and then found work a few months later even during COVID which is thanks to God.

Comment

Working...
                              X