Hunting Sonora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Sonora

Headed to see two ranches this weekend after losing two leases in the same week… how’s the hunting south of Sonora off 277?
    Things I should know?
    Minimal rainfall I’m guessing
    Talking with the landowner says it’s loaded with exotics but hurting in the whitetail population

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of that areas whitetails were decimated by anthrax a couple years ago. Some ranches lost all their deer.

Comment

Anthrax hit hard several years ago. Whitetail population is making a good comeback. You’ll probably have a good amount of Axis with some fallow and maybe black Buck mixed in. Body size is larger than hill country deer and pre-anthrax a mature Buck weighed in around 170 lbs. If left to mature, you can expect 150” deer.. It is dry, dry, dry right now and if the place has a water source for the animals, it’d be a big plus. Sonora is beautiful country and the people there are very nice. If you have a family, there’s quite a bit to see and do in the area with Sonora Caverns being near the top of the list. San Angelo is the closest bigger city with anything you’d need. Most stores in Sonora that you’d need close at 3 on Saturday and don’t open till Monday (Sucks when your brake pedal switch on your truck goes out on the weekend and you have to drive 3 hours round trip to get to an open auto parts store on a Sunday, just to get home).

Comment

I'm NE of 10 our deer have made a huge comeback (protein helps). Axis and other exotics are sporadic on our place but not uncommon. Beautiful country and great people in that area.

We have a thread on here for Sonora/Sutton County just search for it and sub. Sorry I'm too lazy to link it right now hahaha

Comment

We left our lease at 55/277 after anthrax. Place was hit hard but landowner wanted same amount of money with no concessions.

Comment

Originally posted by WTN View Post
            We left our lease at 55/277 after anthrax. Place was hit hard but landowner wanted same amount of money with no concessions.
            X2, and I was on a different place very close to the same area. Do your due diligence.

Comment

its actually the holman ranch... if anyone is familiar with it... supposedly loaded with exotics but whitetail definitely hurt

Comment

Both 88 Bound and I hunted neighboring ranches to the Holman. Feel free to PM if you want more details.

Comment

Originally posted by WTN View Post
                  Both 88 Bound and I hunted neighboring ranches to the Holman. Feel free to PM if you want more details.
                  pm inbound

Comment

As said above, Anthrax is a possibility. Got us in Juno just South of Sonora off 277 about 4 years ago. I know a couple of guys still hunting the ranch and it seems to be on the rebound but could come back this summer you just never know.

Comment

I hunted axis on the Holman property on 55 last year. Saw quite a few whitetails and axis but whitetails were all young and small. Looked like typical hill country deer but the axis were healthy. The guide said the last anthrax outbreak didn’t affect them but it was pretty bad out west of 277

Comment

Working...
                      X