Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the breaking point on feeding wildlife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the breaking point on feeding wildlife?

A lot of folks feed wildlife year round so with the skyrocketing fuel and corn prices when will you decide its not worth it?

I did food plots, much cheaper

Comment

I don’t know but it’s getting there. These prices have made me even more furious with the coons who are getting fat and happy. I’m trapping and killing them with extreme prejudice

Comment

I was discussing this with my son this morning. We may have to take a year off of the protein feed. It sucks, and it shouldn't be this way, but too many folks decided that the guy with the mean tweets was worse than the guy who craps his pants and thinks we should all be driving electric cars.

Comment

I buy about 5-10 bags a year for deer hunting. I do buy more thn that for my goats at home and they better get satisfied with what they can find on their own if corn reached $10 or more

Comment

When corn was $3 and rose to $4 people asked the same question.. That was a 33% rise in price.

Then it was $5 a few years ago and ran to $7ish Same thing.

Now $9 and probably going to be $12ish.. Will just take time to forget and start paying $12

It's relative anyway. Everything else has gone up just as much. It's just corns turn.

Comment

I'm at least spacing out trips if not canceling for the year

Comment

What will be interesting is how land owners treat this. Most guys I know on a lease (including us) have it written in their contracts that they must feed year-around. I wonder if land owners will give their hunters a break and allow them to stop feeding because of the prices...

at a minimum, I will be cutting throw times WAY down. Basically treating it as an attractant instead of actually being beneficial to the deer food wise.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                  What will be interesting is how land owners treat this. Most guys I know on a lease (including us) have it written in their contracts that they must feed year-around. I wonder if land owners will give their hunters a break and allow them to stop feeding because of the prices...
                  Do landowners get a break on other rising costs? Asking for a friend

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    When corn was $3 and rose to $4 people asked the same question.. That was a 33% rise in price.

Then it was $5 a few years ago and ran to $7ish Same thing.

Now $9 and probably going to be $12ish.. Will just take time to forget and start paying $12

It's relative anyway. Everything else has gone up just as much. It's just corns turn.
                    Everything except wages for the most part...

Comment

I picked a helluva year to add a new "different wind" blind to one of my pens. Wood for the base was just under $300 in January. Same wood was $575 in March when I finally had the time to get it and build and I've added more than I care to think about. I had planned several trips to get it all setup and comfortable like I like it but at current gas prices, I'm going to have to cut back on a few of those trips just on pure lack of justification. $300 a trip in fuel just sucks. The corn will be run decent through April to keep the hens on our place for turkey hunting but after that last trip, corn is going to be light and the protein timed. Mother nature better step up and do her thing or its gonna be a bad season for antlers at our place. I won't cut the protein out but the corn will be cut back in the offseason..
                      Last edited by Smart; 03-08-2022, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntin View Post
                        I did food plots, much cheaper
                        May not be this year, fertilizer preices are in orbit !

I’m gonna plant without fertizer this year, buckwheat on all plots this spring, wheat on all plots this fall. We’ll see.
                        Last edited by Drycreek3189; 03-08-2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

We are full steam ahead. Actually gonna start the "free feed" protein this week or next......have not done it in 3 years or so. After last years ICE storm it is time to get things moving again. The AXIS are few are far in between as compared to the last 7 or 8 years. The BLACKBUCK numbers are down significantly also. The ice caused a HUGE kill-off among the exotic species......carcasses were everywhere last season. I only saw about 2 or 3 good bucks on camera all season. Two weekends ago all deer had dropped their antlers so I thwacked a ole nanny (MLD) as I gave away my other deer to a homeless shelter. I live to bowhunt and don't see this ugly bump in the road changing those plans at all. Heck, prices my stabilize or go down if less folks are buying corn, protein or fuel.

Comment

May cut corn back ,but protein will stay the same. I have krivoman timed protein feeders and have them open at 7am & close at 5 pm. The deer are tearing it up right now,being we are in a bad drought. Protein went up a dollar a bag in the last 2 weeks.

Comment

Probably a situation like when at what price will people stop smoking or drinking. Most won't, they'll skimp in other areas of their life. "Justification" as it relates to hunting always makes me laugh. You love it, that's justification enough. Gas or feed are just a small part(relative) of a lease cost.
                              Last edited by Graysonhogs; 03-08-2022, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X