Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has had hip surgery? Experiences with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has had hip surgery? Experiences with it?

I am freaked out because i am 43 and have to have a hip replacement. The pain is incredible! What will the surgery recovery be like? What can i do after? Is the surgery recovery immensly painful?

Haven't had a direct replacement but in 1983 I drove my leg bone through the hip socket and broke the socket from the pelvis... Thirty one days in traction and 6 months recovery.. Hip replacement should be a lot easier... good luck with it and I hope it works out for you...

Comment

just DO the therapy not that bad . start as soon as surgery is over. like the first day an keep moving

Comment

I had a total hip replacement at 42. I highly recommend it if you need it. I was up moving around the next day with a walker (probably would have been same day if I had had the surgery earlier in the am), was home within 48 hrs, off presciption pain meds within 3-4 days, walking un-aided 7-10 days later. PM me with a phone number if you would like to discuss the details.

Comment

Want me to tell you about a bad experience?

My mothers got infected, another surgery to clean it out, another surgery to take hip back out, 8 months with 24/7 IV antibiotics, no hip for 13 months, when they finally got rid of the infection and replaced the hip she was walking next day and says in the end it's much better than having a bad hip.
          These results not typical

Comment

I recently spoke with a friend of mine who had his replaced a few months ago. His comment was "why did I wait so long". He had been in pain for months, but now, a few months post op, is doing great.
            good luck on your decision.

Comment

I had hip a replacement March of this year. Follow the doctor's instructions and do the physical therapy. I used a walker for the first two weeks and a cane for another two weeks. The hardest part for me was the doctor did not want me to shoot my bow the first six weeks. I started riding a stationary bicycle at three weeks and was back in the gym at ten weeks. Be patient and accept the fact that it will probably take six months before you are at at 100%. Remember, this is major surgery.

Comment

Had an older friend who had both hips done and rode everyday until he died in his 80's. If you have to have it and have a little time make sure you are in good condition before you have it and do all the therapy and more.

Comment

My father had both hips replaced and is doing excellent. Make sure and take all the necessary precautions to avoid getting blood clots after surgery.

Comment

Man that makes me feel alot better! Thanks guys.

Comment

I am following along with this thread. Many of the doctor's I have spoken with say the advancement is much better now and the pain and recovery process is leaps beyond past practices. I dislocated my hip 5 years when I was 23, and I know the day will come when it is time for me to make the decision to get it done. I am trying to hold out until I get to my 30's. Either way, it will have to happen.

Comment

I know several people that have had a knee and a hip replaced, they all said that they'd take a hip ANY DAY over a knee!
                        You'll be fine and back at it in no time.

Comment

I HATE double posts!

Comment

i am 62. had mine done in january 2012. 3 days in the hospital. no pain meds, walked 300 feet the first night. with a walker. day i came home from the hospital started walking on a cane. be sure that what ever you do have the front approach done instead of the old conventional side type that was done for years. my doctor told me the difference between the front and the side, is six weeks of doing nothing. 1 week after my surgery i was driving and doing what i wanted to. if you have any questions fill free to call me (903-882-6395) i will tell you all i know about it.

Comment

Make sure you research the surgeon well and that he does the new anterior approach procedure. The old way on the side of the hip they had to detach muscle and the recovery time was much longer. The anterior approach provides access between muscles and makes recovery a comparative breeze.

Comment

Working...
                              X