• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats!!

good luck

Comment

Congrats, thats awesome. Good luck

Comment

I was also drawn for the archery hunt October 15 - 19. Looking for some insight on the area. I was told that all of the compartments are equally good. It does not look like I will have time to do some early scouting before October 15, so any information will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

We were on the lower bottom lease for 4 years. My buddy has 2000 acres north of the lake. I have been in those woods since 1999. If you can get around the high line or pipe line if that's apart of the WMA. That area was always really good. The high line may still have our old box stands on them. The cabin that is right next to the pw entrance an lil green cabin was ours. There is a small pond we called ash pond off the pipeline it's about half a mile or so past black slough. Something about in there we saw lots of deer. I've not been in there since it went WMA except once in my mud boat when the river was up and got turned around. Carry a good gps and plenty of batteries I still get turned around in those woods. The moss grows on the north side of the trees. Lol have a blast. Keep an eye on the river levels at hwy 79 http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...fwd&gage=lolt2

Comment

Very cool...good luck.

Comment

Don't even think about hunting there without an ATV or UTV.

Comment

Originally posted by Verne243 View Post
                We'll be doing the crossbow hunt Oct 15-19. It'll be our first time there too, so I'm really hoping someone has some info.

As for the whole crossbow issue, it's my understanding that TPWD is doing a 5 year study to see how much more/less effective crossbows are than traditional equipment. Once the study is over, it'll go back to "archery" and both will be allowable. So, that means maybe one more year and it's over. If you don't have a crossbow now, and this is the only reason you have for buying one, it may not be worth it.
                I was wondering why specific to crossbow and not archery. Thanks for explaining the purpose. Seems like they might should have done the study prior to allowing crossbows during the archery only season.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346265588.552434.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	24110141 the high lighted area south of black sluggish is where we hunted. That used to be a sweet place to hunt until the state decided to step in. It cleaned it up but lots of great memories down there! Have fun if it gets muddy your going to need more than a 4wd four wheeler with stock tires lol

Comment

big lake bottom

I was drawn for the gun hunt last year and took a doe within a couple of hrs of sitting in stand. Pretty thick bottom land. Had my summit viper but couldnt get good visibility if i climbed over 5ft so ended up sitting on base of a tree. Park officials drew compartments and helped you out if u kill anything way back. Everyone i talked to had seen deer and hogs. You can pm me if you need any info

Comment

congrats

Comment

We drew archery for the first week of October, we will be making the drive from West Texas. Ill keep you posted.................

Comment

congrats! I have a crossbow if you need to borrow it.

Comment

Congrats! Youre the only person I ever heard of winning one of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by Texbow View Post
                              I was wondering why specific to crossbow and not archery. Thanks for explaining the purpose. Seems like they might should have done the study prior to allowing crossbows during the archery only season.
                              I think Verne was talking about just TPW draw hunts going back to archery only category.

Don't think he was talking about making them illegal during archery only season... but I could be wrong

Comment

Congrats on being drawn, TPWD hunts are a lot of fun and you meet new folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X