Sniper Hog Light Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sniper Hog Light Review

I've been looking at hog lights for the last few years. I even bought a Cyclops light on sale and got a NAP Green bow light for Christmas. Both were ok, but were fixed focus and you had to be quick on the trigger once you lighted up the target.

I kept reading the threads on hog lights, and Sniper Hog Lights kept coming up. I never saw a negative comment.

Fast forward to last October, I finally ordered the 38LRX bow light. Order confirmation and shipping were prompt, with good confirmation and accurate delivery date. Package arrived and everything was as described.

Took it hunting that week with the bow and it's really a quality light. First, it has 2 buttons. High and low beam. Then you can gradually go from a flood that barely illuminates less than 10 yards on low to easy 30 or 40 yards. I never bothered checking further because I don't shoot that far with a bow at night. The machining on the housing to adjust from flood to spot is very smooth. Just twist it to adjust.

Then just to see what it would do, I attached it to my rifle scope one night. I put it on flood and hight beam setting, then slowly adjusted until it painted the hog at 175 yards and shot him. I could have easily seen to shoot one at 250 to 300 yards.

There's no vibration or rattling to worry about and it's a solid light for night hunting. I got the red and green light with mine, but have only used the red so far.

If you're on the fence order it. It seems a little expensive, but you get what you pay for and won't regret it if you hunt with it much.

On a side note, the pigs seem to spook less when moon is out. Just an observation so far, but that's another thread along with spot and stalk and which broadhead to use in different situations. [IMG][/IMG]

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

There’s a reason Sniper Hog Lights are a TBH sponsor on here. Many of us have been using those lights for years. Glad to hear you finally got one. Imo they are the best bow lights on the market. I personally have preferred the red light over the green. I’ve had Hogs spook from the green light and never from red.

Comment

Sniper makes a very high quality product. I bet I've tripled my shot opportunities at pigs since I started carrying that light in my pack/on my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
        Sniper makes a very high quality product. I bet I've tripled my shot opportunities at pigs since I started carrying that light in my pack/on my bow.

x2.....They definitely have increased my opportunities . Great folks and great products. Heading out this evening and may have to put it to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000Traverse 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	24683254

Comment

Best bow/feeder light available IMO.

Comment

Many thanks to all of you. We really appreciate your support and the kind feedback. Here are some tips on how to use the light when bow hunting over bait.

1 - As soon as it gets dark enough, turn the light on low and focus it so you have just enough light to see the pigs on the bait but not enough light to make the shot.

2 - When the pig(s) first come in, do not turn the light on, let them feed for at least 5 minutes to settle down before you turn the light on.

3 - Without drawing your bow, turn the light on low with it aimed right at them and then turn it back off ASAP. The best way to do this is to just slowly press down on the low button until the light comes on and then let go of the button as soon as it comes on to turn it off. I call this flashing the pigs. If you do this correctly the pigs will not completely spook and the low button will not make any noise. It may startle them but they don't completely leave. If it startles them at all, leave the light off for a couple of minutes until they settle back down and then flash them again. Repeat these steps until they stop reacting to the flash of light.

4 - Once they stop reacting to the flash of light. Draw your bow and get lined up the best you can with the light off and then turn the light on high and shoot. If they start to spook before you can shoot, turn the light off ASAP and repeat step 3.

The reasons I believe this works so well is

1 - Pigs know they get hunted over bait and usually get shot at within the first few minutes of showing up and are looking for a reason to spook like a light coming on. After they have been there a few minutes with no issues they tend to settle down and don't spook as easy.

2 - Because pigs are so used to game camera's going off while at bait, I believe they think the flash of light from the bow light is just another camera going off and after they see it a few times they don't pay attention to it.

Now with that said, I would say about 50-60% of the time they don't react at all to the first flash of light. Over my first 5 years of bow hunting with lights I tried all kinds of different ways to keep the pigs from spooking from a light but none of them worked consistently and then I started flashing them and it works every time for me. In the last 10 years, I have not spooked pigs completely off of bait with a light due to flashing them. You have to be patient on really spooky pigs as the longest I've had to wait from the time they showed up until the time I got the shot was 75 minutes. This was on a loan boar and every time I flashed him he would run into the brush line(only 5 yards away) and then come back out and feed. I had to flash him about 20 times before he finally stopped reacting to the flash of light. Most of the time it take about 3 to 5 times of flashing them before they stop reacting to it. You must have enough corn out to hold them so you can flash them several times if need be.

On a side note, if the wind is iffy, you might not have time to keep flashing them. If this is the case, you have to make a decision, risk spooking them with the light or risk them spooking due to smelling you. In cases like this, I always risk spooking them with the light because I would much rather have them spook from the light then from smelling me. If they smell me they might not come back another night and even if they do, they tend to circle downwind before coming in making it very difficult to kill them.

Comment

Seems like a good thread to ask, anybody else have issues with the pressure switch/caps? I bought a used set here in the classifieds and it's got two normal caps and a cap with the pressure switch. One switch works great so I just use that without problems and didn't think much of it. The other two seem to have to be "tweaked" perfectly to work but then they're inconsistent. Also the extra length on the batteries surprised me. I tried putting in normal 18650 batteries because I've got a bunch and they don't reach the contact points. I got three factory batteries that came with it so it's not a big deal for now but eventually they'll age out I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Seems like a good thread to ask, anybody else have issues with the pressure switch/caps? I bought a used set here in the classifieds and it's got two normal caps and a cap with the pressure switch. One switch works great so I just use that without problems and didn't think much of it. The other two seem to have to be "tweaked" perfectly to work but then they're inconsistent. Also the extra length on the batteries surprised me. I tried putting in normal 18650 batteries because I've got a bunch and they don't reach the contact points. I got three factory batteries that came with it so it's not a big deal for now but eventually they'll age out I'm sure.
                Call Rob at Sniper. He will take care of you

Comment

Thanks for the tip Gonehunting. I'll try it first chance I get. That may be a new thread. And you've earned the compliments and customers.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm buying one!!!!

Comment

Good thread…..I have been looking at them for a little while……. Good information

My biggest issue is not wanting to be sweating my you know what’s off just to shoot a feral pig.

Comment

Snipers head lamps are a must for every hunter. Trust me, when you turn it on, all your buddies will just turn their cheap crap off. Lol!!

Comment

Recently got the 40kap headlamp and it’s a beast. Perfect for hiking around and plinking in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            Snipers head lamps are a must for every hunter. Trust me, when you turn it on, all your buddies will just turn their cheap crap off. Lol!!

Yup… that 40KAP headlight is a bad mofo from a guy who turned his LED handheld flashlight off, although it wasn’t cheap…[emoji1787][emoji23]. Saved my bacon several times literally now that I own one …[emoji41]

Comment

Sniper Hog Light Review

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              Good thread…..I have been looking at them for a little while……. Good information

My biggest issue is not wanting to be sweating my you know what’s off just to shoot a feral pig.

Hell it’s all season hunting. And they are a heckuva challenge with a bow with those noses. You can watch Golden Girls reruns in the AC any day.

Comment

Working...
                              X