• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome

Enjoy the trip

Comment

Following this for sure!

Comment

I'm going to quit my job today and start doing stuff like this.

Stay tuned for my gofundme

Keep the updates coming.

Comment

On our bucket list for sure when we retire. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Badazz bro, following!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are in a cool camp-site tonight on a river/creek. I believe it’s called Deep Creek. Pretty amazing! We have not seen running water like this yet! Def not a seasonal stream as I saw trout in the pools. Hiked along another smaller creek today and had a great break and soaked our feet. Yesterday the trail was easier and we did 17 miles and today we just did 13. The terrain the last two days has been generally downhill, so it’s been nice. The best part about today was minimal water carries. It’s so nice to travel light with only a liter or less. There has been major carries where I humped four liters!

Last night it got wicked cold, but we did good in our bags. It’s crazy how in the desert it goes from hot to cold so quick. We are with a big group of other hikers tonight and had a great dinner with lots of laughs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3D4E9169-89C6-4DA4-9FF6-1D0B88710F7D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	24682791

Name:	2F85721F-35A0-449E-87F0-6E200F921418.jpeg
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	24682792

Name:	4DECF705-F905-44A4-AA85-82F75DEA75F3.jpeg
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	24682793

Name:	DAB0940B-4E98-45FA-A23B-B294FAD3EA41.jpeg
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	24682794

Comment

Man, that looks cool.

Comment

Just wanted to add… we are about 1/2 or so from hitting mile 300. We intended to hit that today, but this cool camp-site got in the way. Here is one more pic upstream from our site. Today is the first day I saw any water with trout. Water has been scarce and gets scarce again after we leave this river/creek. I will get a fly-rod sent out when we get into the sierras.

Name:	530941F4-C09A-4688-9C0E-6003AF21B69E.jpeg
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	24682800

Comment

Hit the 300 mile marker early yesterday and then did 15 total miles. The day included a one hour stop at the infamous Deep Creek Hot Springs, where we soaked are tired bodies. The heat was intense… leading to some blisters. I drained a major one in my little toe this afternoon. The desert sand gets so hot… all it takes is a tiny piece of sand or even dust in your shoe to cause issues. I h do not typically get blisters, but….

We pushed for 15 miles yesterday as that put us on highway 173. The Joshua Inn (an old school bar in Hysteria, CA) picks up hikers and even welcomes hikers to camp on the property (which we did). We celebrated the long hot day with beer and burgers. This am, they drove us back to the trail. I thought todays hike was easy (despite blisters) and the heat was not as bad. The trail brought us around Silver Lake. It was a good change of scenery. We hiked out of Silver Lake late in the afternoon. We are stealth camping right off the trail at what appears to be a rest area that is not in use (but there is water!). Let’s see if we get busted. We are 12.5 mikes from Cajon Pass. This is where the PCT crosses I-15. If You ever drove from LA to Vegas, you have gone through Cajon Pass.

Name:	5809442B-2BBB-45AA-BBD1-E880E2F7ED0F.jpeg
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	24682884

Name:	3C6FF677-D50C-45A6-8238-155C198913E2.jpeg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	24682885

Name:	7586EB3B-EDFE-4D85-B1EE-A5C97CAAE15C.jpeg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	24682886

Name:	EDF12F29-7B36-4A30-9D6B-1C9D13A9E62B.jpeg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	24682887

Name:	AB78BFF5-BB66-43FD-A1DD-C105E1FE0E36.jpeg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	24682888

Name:	04BCA28E-C5DA-4D9E-AFE8-0EF4C1F7B161.jpeg
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	24682889

Comment

My hiking experience is evidently quite weak. I applaud you sir. This is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                        My hiking experience is evidently quite weak. I applaud you sir. This is fantastic.

Thank you. This is definitely not something everyone is going to want to do. Not everyone does the entire trail. There are section hikers out here as well (just doing pieces). At the moment we are in a thru-hiker bubble (everyone we are seeing last few days are attempting to do entire trail). There has been some that have bailed already. Sone with injury and some who could not hack it.

Comment

Beautiful scenery, thanks for the updates.

For those of us not familiar with this trail, here’s some info:

Comment

Awesome pics thanks for sharing!

This area seems like it would be a lot less populated as compared to your previous journey. Is that making it for a harder journey as there might be less “trail angles” out there supporting the hikers??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Awesome pics thanks for sharing!

This area seems like it would be a lot less populated as compared to your previous journey. Is that making it for a harder journey as there might be less “trail angles” out there supporting the hikers??

It’s definitely more remote and towns are spread out further. However, there are trail angels and trail magic (especially on weekends). We walked into Cajon Pass today (staying in a Comfort Inn tonight due to wicked high winds and a 5,000 foot climb out of the pass (it will be there in the morning)). As we came off the pass today there was a former hiker doing trail magic… he had Bud Lights and IPAs and munchies. It was good. I would not say the remoteness is making it much harder… the weather seems to be the bigger factor. This week we have had some really hot days and cold nights. A storm blew in last night producing crazy wind today. It rained a bit as well, but nothing of significance. It’s amazing, one can go from being too hot to being too cold in a matter of minutes.

Tomorrow is our one month on the trail… we will be just over 350 miles in (halfway thru the desert).

Comment

Amazing adventure!

Comment

Working...
                                X