Texas state troopers must shrink waistlines in new controversial policy: report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex View Post
    I’d wager most, if not all of the folks that replied with disparaging remarks would get there arse whooped by those “pudgy” troopers! Those guys are freaking tough don’t matter there waist size. They can hold there own better than you think.
    Yeah, but you have to catch me first. Some of ya'll have never been to Nacogdoches county.

Comment

That’s good. I agree, who wants or needs a fat dough boy as a police officer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DPS has a fitness standard they test for yearly. Not sure what it is currently but it used to be a rowing test on a concept 2 rower. For a while is was 2000 meters under a specified time depending on weight and gender. I thought that test was a pretty adequate test. If you have never tried to row 2000 meters in 7:30 it will get the heart going and muscles burning. They then bumped it down to a 500M row in a specified time. While still somewhat taxing, it was nothing like the 2000M row in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
          That’s good. I agree, who wants or needs a fat dough boy as a police officer?

What if he/she identifies as being slim?

Comment

Good!!!!!

Less donuts, more activity and concern about your health

Comment

They need to be in shape to chase down the illegal Aliens and drop a couple of the People's Elbow on them [emoji51][emoji1787]

Comment

I fit into 38" waist pants. Does that pass? or do you measure the gut hanging over?

Comment

I worked with some guys that I would take in a cluster that looked like a soup sandwich. Squared away and handled business and when stuff happened they hit it face on. I’ve also worked with some CrossFit folks that could turn tail and run the other way when it came down to it. I can’t say a slimmer waistline for heavier Officers would not be in their best interest but it has zero to do with their ability. I think the best option would be to offer education and assistance to those that want it to better improve his or her health.
                  Last edited by glen; 04-20-2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

In this time of many law enforcement offices being short staffed, this is NOT a good thing. We need every officer we can get right now. A 40” waistline is an arbitrary number that does not always correlate to an out of shape person. It does however sound like some attempt at decreasing the number of police available when all signs point towards food riots coming.

What is next? A 6 minute mile requirement? Where does it stop?

How about implementing these requirements on new recruits and everyone else is grandfathered in. This way, as time goes by we get a healthier police force while not decreasing the number of officers we currently have?

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                      Fat lives matter.
                      wow, that's pretty funny.

Comment

This is Ridiculous! No body can out run lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                          Maybe you are thinking of bmi tables. Not the same as accurate body fay measurements such as underwater weighing, biochambers, or skin fold measurements... heck they may have even better stuff now.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The DEXA scan is nuts in terms of what it can read. Would be way better than a maximum waistline requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                            Can they expand this idea to include TSA officers, judges, senators, representatives and all government employees?
                            I don't mind getting felt up by a stranger at the airport, but Shawnquantalecia needs to get off the gov't cheese. It would be way more enjoyable!

Comment

Not sure what to think about this. I’m a former Marine and how we represent the uniform is extremely important. We had to have photos taken for promotion boards.

I don’t agree with an arbitrary waist size either. I had a pig in my last platoon that outside of the Corps height/weight standards but he was a bodybuilder. 6’2 280lbs….his arms were as big as my thighs. He had to get a waiver every six months……and he was a beast.

I’ll be honest and say I don’t think I have ever seen a fat trooper. A trooper’s uniform represents the State of Texas. As long as they don’t make the uniform look bad I’m okay.

Comment

Oops, I meant to type 1935! Command presence is a very important aspect of the job. Bad guys are very good at sizing a potential target. They’re looking for a soft target. If you look like you have your stuff together you’ll have less physical confrontations. Also helps mediate injury in a crash. There’s no downside to being physically fit. I’m still enjoying the benefits 22 years after retirement.

Comment

Working...
                                X