Best Pool Filter System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
    I ran filters for years and hated it. You got to pull them, soak them in shock, spray, etc. Plus they're $75 to $100 to replace. I'm now running an oversized sand filter and love it. Just turn the handle and backwash. I would also strongly recommend an ozone generator. My water is always crystal clear and rarely shock it.

Being able to backwash is very enticing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
      I only pull mine and clean them about once every 4 months. It's about a 30 min process from start to finish for me. I spray them down with simple green and let them soak for about 10 mins and then hose them down with a high pressure nozzle and put them back in. I always found it pretty easy. I have huge trees around my pool too so I catch a lot of leaves and pollen etc. They do need to be replaced after a while but mine went 3-4 years before replacing. Nothing wrong with sand or DE filters though. It's just a matter of what's preferred. They all work.

Are you still able to go about 4 months during this time of the year with the leaves and pollen? I was having to clean filters weekly last year to keep the water clean. I think I was even doing every few days at one point just to keep up. I can go a few months during the rest of the year though.

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
        Are you still able to go about 4 months during this time of the year with the leaves and pollen? I was having to clean filters weekly last year to keep the water clean. I think I was even doing every few days at one point just to keep up. I can go a few months during the rest of the year though.

Oh wow. If you were having to do it that often then you should go with a sand filter. I usually clean mine around 1st of April, then around September, and again around Christmas and I'm good. My pressure on my guage runs around 12-15 psi and when it gets over 20psi I know it's time. I have a giant white oak 15-20ft from my pool and many other smaller trees near as well. Right now is the worst with the oak pollen.

Comment

Cartridge easiest to clean. DE will filter will filter better, down to 1-2 microns.

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post

I was in the same boat, had to clean them weekly during the summer. I was even wearing out orings every summer.

Comment

I would have to say a sand filter if you can get one. I have a pool with a separate hot tub. When the filters get clogged you have to take them out spray them down , I would say a little more work. The pool has a sand filter and a mineralizer water always clear and if I see the water flow is not as strong just hit backwash for a few and its good to go again. I was also told the sand is good for 3 or more years but might want to ask someone else if thats true

Comment

I would go with a sand filter with glass media. Backwash when needed cleaning and if you maintain the chemistry correctly the media will last 10-12 years. Backwashing takes minutes and is easy. If you put in a 30" filter it would be more then enough and last a long time.

Comment

I work with pools daily. I have experience with all 3 types. DE, Cartridge, Sand. Listing from best to good based on filter efficiency. Yes there are other things that can be added that help, but this is based just on the filter.

Best - DE - has the best filtering capability to the smallest micron of all the filters. Able to backwash, but you do have to add more DE every time you backwash, no exceptions. In my opinion easiest to clean once you have done it a couple times.

Better - Cartridge have good filtration, low maintenance until time to clean. Frequency on cleaning depends on pool environment. Every 4 to 6 months is recommended. Easy assembly pretty straightforward. They do take longer to clean then a DE.

Good - Sand low maintenance is it's biggest selling point. Has the lowest filtration capability. Able to backwash no need to add anything after backwash. They are "tanks" and last a long time with minimal issues.

Basically you just need to decided in what is most important to you. DE has best filtration and highest maintenance. Cartridge good filtration, moderate maintenance. Sand has lowest filtration and lowest maintenance

Comment

Working...
                  X