No announcement yet.

Cow people, weak calf help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealt with a similar situation but the calf was dang near dead it was so weak. Get up walk a few steps and lay back down. Shallow breathing. Gave it a shots of Draxxin and a new calf in the morning. More expensive than LA200, but it worked well.
    Last edited by Whale; 04-01-2022, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
      If she has mastitis you don't want to save/feed that milk.
      I didn’t know this, and I have already done it. Can you explain why?

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
        With all you have done I'm thinking the calf has a problem. All my years of running cattle I had 1 calf born without an anus. Might check that. I've had a few dummy calves and a few with no cleft palate. Good luck!
        Definitely had an anus, it is using it for sure, just not much.

I feel like the calf has some issue, it seemed skinner and weaker early on.

I should have taken action a couple of days sooner, when I knew it was not progressing normally, but I thought maybe it’s just a runt or a bit premature and just needs time.

Still alive tonight, forced three bottles of the cow’s milk into him morning, noon, and night.

Seemed a bit stronger, but outcome very much in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          Is he pooping? It been more than a week, you should see the evidence stuck around his tail. It may be gold colored by now. Actually, I'm sure he's eating otherwise he'd be dead. He may not be eating aggressively enough, which leads to my first thought.

My first thought is 'dummy calf'. Do a you tube search for dummy calf or dummy foal. The solution is remarkably simple and almost immediate.

A B12 shot may help, but not if he's a dummy calf.
          I don’t have cows, prolly never will…but I googled dummy calf, that was pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
            I didn’t know this, and I have already done it. Can you explain why?

Mastitis is an infection in the milk glands. You dont want to give that bacteria back to the calf. Probably why it didn't want to take it.

Comment

I would certainly supplement it with bottle feedings. Also if it didn’t get colostrum I’d worry about septic infection setting in. Take a rectal temp. If it’s greater than 103 I’d probably try to get it to a vet or get your hands on something broad spectrum like Nuflor to combat any infection.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                Mastitis is an infection in the milk glands. You dont want to give that bacteria back to the calf. Probably why it didn't want to take it.

I read up some on Mastitis, and I don’t believe she has that.

She did not seem tender while milking, milk had no blood or brown spots, or discoloration of her bag. It did seem like she had a hard mass.

The milk seemed good and looked like melted vanilla ice cream.

Treating the cow with antibiotics in any case.

I am learning for this for sure.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Bottle feed with the right milk replacement !
                  Has to be medicated at that age.
                  Unless you can get milk from mother,
                  Good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

Make it through the night? Take it to Bownanza as the mascot of the party !

Comment

How is baby ground round doing this morning? Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                      X