• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learned something today

Comment

big crock pot ...or reg size and cut up bones

Comment

Have never tried making stock in a pressure cooker. I’ve always read that low and slow yields a clear broth where higher temps create more opacity. Not sure opacity negatively impacts flavor, however, clear stocks are best for things like clear soups, aspics, etc.

Will a pressure cooker result in a cloudy stock? I have no idea. However, cleaning a pressure cooker after use can be a pain in the wazoo whereas the humble stock pot can be thrown in the dishwasher; no muss, no fuss.

Comment

One more thing: If you haven’t tried adding a small dash of marmite (or vegemite) to your stock, you don’t know what you’re missing. A modest and restrained amount of this tar-like substance packs a large punch of “umami” that is hard to duplicate with things like tomato paste or dehydrated mushrooms which, to me, add a little too much of their native flavors, masking the meat flavor you’re trying to tease out in the first place.

Comment

I prefer to roast the bones first at 350 until light brown. This gives the broth a darker color richer flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              Have never tried making stock in a pressure cooker. I’ve always read that low and slow yields a clear broth where higher temps create more opacity. Not sure opacity negatively impacts flavor, however, clear stocks are best for things like clear soups, aspics, etc.

Will a pressure cooker result in a cloudy stock? I have no idea. However, cleaning a pressure cooker after use can be a pain in the wazoo whereas the humble stock pot can be thrown in the dishwasher; no muss, no fuss.

I don’t know about the broth but with my pressure cookers, everything except the heating unit can be put in the dishwasher, the same as my crockpot.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                One more thing: If you haven’t tried adding a small dash of marmite (or vegemite) to your stock, you don’t know what you’re missing. A modest and restrained amount of this tar-like substance packs a large punch of “umami” that is hard to duplicate with things like tomato paste or dehydrated mushrooms which, to me, add a little too much of their native flavors, masking the meat flavor you’re trying to tease out in the first place.
                ….. and yes, Marmite used sparingly would add a meaty, umami flavor.

Comment

Bone Broth Experts Unite!!

Color and clarity are perfect

Last edited by Ætheling; 03-12-2022, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Yielded about 2.5 gallons

12 sprigs of thyme
                    3 bay leaves
                    Tomato paste
                    4 onions
                    3 leeks
                    4 large carrots
                    4 celery stalks
                    White, black, and pink peppercorns
                    Allspice berries
                    Salted and roasted venison bones from 4 deer

Last edited by Ætheling; 03-12-2022, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Woke up to a fridge full of deer jello this morning

Ended up salvaging 3.5 pounds of pulled meat soaked in collagen and base.

2 pounds is in the pot with my favorite chili recipe and the rest will return to some of the broth with fresh potatoes, onions, and carrots for stew.

Comment

I’ve been eating marrow for a few years and still can’t make it good on the taste buds. I can tolerate it but it is not “good” by any means. If you do find something that taste good please let us know. I’m lazy and just go get big beef leg bones and run them down a saw after I bake the brined bone

Comment

Will be doing this again. Best stew Ive ever had. 1 part broth 3 parts water.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            I’ve been eating marrow for a few years and still can’t make it good on the taste buds. I can tolerate it but it is not “good” by any means. If you do find something that taste good please let us know. I’m lazy and just go get big beef leg bones and run them down a saw after I bake the brined bone

I took a cleaver to the bones after roasting to release the marrow. I even scooped out each bones with a stick into the broth pot after removing the bones. Nothing bad tasting going on here but obviously its is heavily seasoned with aromatics.

Maybe a ton of garlic and butter would do it.

Comment

Working...
                            X