No announcement yet.

Who's old enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have owned our place in east texas since 1970. My dad shot the first hog around 1993 or 94. Big boar and took a 25.06 like a champ and ran off. He didnt want to go look for it that evening. The next morning we found it floating in a pond 25 yards from the shot.

In 2020 I shot 13 with a bow in october alone and shot two in one shot twice

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
      Smart, that’s 15 miles from where I live right now. Tynan. My dad would buy a bag of corn on the cob we would put a few in our pockets and walking to the ground blind we would hit them together so the corn would fall off drop the cob and get in the blind.

That's awesome. I like the old school technique.. We had some good times on that place on the short time I was alive and we had it. Grandaddy had a electric motor driven sheller. I can remember it like it was yesterday. No guards on it, just a big belt and pulley on a pieced together contraption. about 3 foot long. "Kids don't put your hand near this or that and don't horse around when it rolling." The area farmers would let us go out in the feed corn fields after harvest and pick up the ears they missed and we'd shell them into a trash can or two. It was my job to get the 5 bucket and fill it 2/3rds with corn every hunt....and when I was there walk down the sendero with a silver metal flashlight to throw it out where the red ant bed was. That was our deer feeder back then...

Comment

1974 or 1975. Hardin County while squirrel hunting with a .22. Piglets then the big sow came by. I was a teenager & I was afraid to shoot. Momma was a big one.

Comment

About year 2000 in Blanco county. Plenty there now

Comment

I hunted near Llano in 1969 to 74 no hogs...

Comment

The first one I remember seeing was at a friends place down near Tilden in the early 90's. Can't remember what year it was now, either late 90's to early 2000's when the first one popped up in ETX. It didn't take long and we were covered up with them in ETX.

Comment

There were hogs in 1975. I lived then in the N E San Antonio and a neighbor down the street had shot one and had it hanging in his front yard tree. He dressed it out and put it in his freezer.

Comment

I hunted Llano in the early 90's and did not see any.

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                    Another hog thread. Hogs on da brain I guess.
                    Let me guess, you don't hog hunt.. ??? "Green screen Key board warrior". LOL At least you are honest..

About RUNNING BEAR
                    Member's Name
                    Me
                    Hunt Location
                    In the wild
                    Interests
                    I green screen brah??
                    Occupation
                    Green screen keyboard warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Box-R View Post
                      I recall some hogs around Lake Mexia about 1997. My first encounter with 'em.
                      Same here started seeing sign of them in '96, killed the first one '97 and then oh sh*t the populations just exploded. Like others said it was cool @ first but it quickly became a nuisance.

Comment

I hunted Frio County around the San Miguel in the late 50's and 60's and never saw or heard of any hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          I’m 52 and have hunted central Tx my entire life and never seen a hog until about 10-15 years ago

I lived a little North of Lampasas from Jan. of 2000 thru 2003 and I never saw one that I can recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1973/1974 west of Orange Grove Texas. My buddy shot a huge boar that was walking across an oat field with his .243, and it ran off! I was amazed. Later, with drove up to a deer feeder, and his dad tripped it. The hogs came running out of the brush, and I took off, only to run into my buds mom peeing behind the truck! Awkward......
                            Lesto!!

Comment

First one I saw a buddy killed it on my dad’s place in Navarro Co on the Trinity. It was 89 or 90 I believe about the same time the quail started to disappear. We thought someone’s hog had got out of their pen and he killed their livestock! But nobody had a hog pen anywhere close!

Comment

I grew up in Jones Creek, in southern Brazoria County on a large ranch in the 70s and 80s. We never saw hogs, other than the domestics that roamed freely around the old community along Old River Road, until the years following some major hurricanes and flooding of the Brazos River in the late 70s. My theory is those domestics along Old River Road got scattered in the flooding and turned wild. I'm sure it's as good a guess as any. By the late 80s, we were covered up with them along both sides of the Brazos.

Comment

Working...
                                X