Suggestions - Adding Another Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The family and I have all done pretty well the past couple of years shooting animals but we could always do better and I want to get everyone more practice behind a scoped bolt action rifle. Given ammo prices and shortages, I'm thinking about a cheap plinker to practice behind rather than our actual hunting rifles. The other factor is recoil as I want to prevent and or get rid of any flinching, etc. My thoughts are it will be only for paper and generally shoot from 75-100 yards. My first thought was a .22 as I already have several (all semi auto and not scoped) and a decent amount of ammo for the family to burn through. Unless I'm missing something the other option would be a 17 HMR as that would allow a little longer shots. So first I have to decide on caliber. My pros/cons:

For the .22: I have ammo, more ammo is about as cheap as you will find and I have other guns to use the ammo in. How consistent is the 22 from 75-100 yards?

For the .17: A new caliber is always fun and they should shoot flatter and more accurate at longer distances at least in theory. It also seems to be a better varmint round if put in a hunting situation. BUT, I would be starting from scratch on ammo and I'm not sure if ammo is more or less expensive than 22 but I'm assuming it is more expensive. So, cost and availability could be an issue.

I'm open to suggestions on which round to get for practice time behind a scope. I'm leaning more towards 22 but i would say I'm 60-40 right now so I can be convinced one way or another. I could also be talked into another round if the argument is good enough but cost and ammo availability is probably the biggest factor.

Once I have decided on a caliber I'll be open to suggestions on gun. My first thought is the Savage Mark II package from academy that already has scope, etc and is ready to go out of the box. That seems to be the cheapest option. I'm not looking for bullets touching accuracy but would like something for practice that will shoot a couple inch groups. I think this gun will do what i need but I'm open to suggestions. Again, I'm only looking for a bolt gun with a scope and budget is a consideration.

Thanks in advance.

My kids and my grandkids never practiced with "deer" calibers. A descent scoped 22 rimfire is all you need. The practice is with cheek weld and trigger control.

Comment

I would use a .22. I would also try to get the closest thing in size you can to what they currently shoot for hunting. And if you can try and get the same scope

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to vote 17HMR. It is a sweet little round, ammunition is more expensive than 22 LR but not crazy. If you want to save some money get a Savage 9317 and an inexpensive Burris (not a Vortex fan) and go to town.

Comment

If you want it to be accurate, you’re gonna meet to spend some $$ on .22 ammo. The bill type stuff leaves a lot to be desired in the accuracy department from my experience.

It all depends on how much you want to spend and the groups you expect from the rifle.

Comment

You don't have to buy expensive ammo. The whole point of this is just practice shooting. That being said when my kids shot in YHEC I tried a lot of ammo. Some expensive, some cheap, and the best shooting ammo i found was plain old Remington green box.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              If you want it to be accurate, you’re gonna meet to spend some $$ on .22 ammo. The bill type stuff leaves a lot to be desired in the accuracy department from my experience.

It all depends on how much you want to spend and the groups you expect from the rifle.
              I want it to be as accurate as the kids (and adults) shooting it. I'm not concerned about bullet holes touching but I would like a group in a 4" diameter circle. Obviously the better the group the happier I'll be but I'm looking for something to practice with and put holes in paper.

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              You don't have to buy expensive ammo. The whole point of this is just practice shooting. That being said when my kids shot in YHEC I tried a lot of ammo. Some expensive, some cheap, and the best shooting ammo i found was plain old Remington green box.
              This is what I'm thinking.

Sounds like I'm on the right track but again I'm welcome to any and all opinions. Thanks.

Comment

In that case, I’d say you’ll be just fine with cheap ammo

Comment

Go with the 17 for extra range, and pig shootin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the savage mark II in .22.
                    Put a quality scope on it.
                    I have the .17 HMR in savage 9317 but seldom use it
                    The .22 LR gets a lotta use on the ranch. For any pig or coyote hunting, I prefer a center fire (.222/.223/.243).

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                      I like the savage mark II in .22.
                      Put a quality scope on it.
                      I have the .17 HMR in savage 9317 but seldom use it
                      The .22 LR gets a lotta use on the ranch. For any pig or coyote hunting, I prefer a center fire (.222/.223/.243).
                      I agree on center fire. I have a few AR's in 223, blackout and grendel that get used at the ranch for those purposes. I really don't see an animal getting shot with the gun I'm looking to get unless it is a rabbit or coon. Even a coon would likely be trapped first and get the pistola treatment. My plan is for this to truly be a paper shooter practice gun. Even if I were to use a 22 on the ranch I would likely take a Henry lever action open sight that I have.

Comment

Depending on budget, get the Bergara 22lr trainer.

Comment

I would look at getting a couple upper level scopes for the 22s.

Comment

Whatever you do, do not get a PCP air rifle. It's like a drug addiction. 300 .25 cal pellets for under $20 and can kill coons and pigs out to 100 yards. So quiet you can barely hear it from 30 yds away. DON"T DO IT! You will be sorry because everybody will be wanting their turn and you will spend all your time refilling the air bottle.

Comment

Working...
                            X