2024 Elk Hunt questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2024 Elk Hunt questions

I have been slowly trying to research all the elk hunting threads. I want to plan a hunt for 2024 before I turn 60. I think I am more interested in the experience than I am a trophy. I would like a fairly good odd of shooting at something. I haven't decided on bow or rifle yet. This is what I think I'm looking for.

1. I want to experience a pack in on horse and staying in a camp in a wall tent. I'm wanting it guided, it will more than likely be 1 on 1.

2. Like I mentioned, I would like better odds at shooting at something than making this about a trophy. In fact, I really don't care if it is a cow hunt. I just don't know if a outfitter will guided me on a cow or spike hunt and I get the treatment of paying for a trophy, but only paying for a cow.

2. I don't have any states that I prefer, but always thought of Montana, Wyoming, or Colorado, but lately have been researching Idaho & New Mexico. I will be buying my tags & permits, and I don't have any points in any state.

Can any of you Elk & western state hunters give me some tips & advice. I know I could DIY hunt and save some money, but it is not something I want to try by myself. Thanks

I enjoyed my hunt in the Gila Wilderness with Gary Webb. New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
      I enjoyed my hunt in the Gila Wilderness with Gary Webb. New Mexico.
      I will check him out

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
        I know I could DIY hunt and save some money, but it is not something I want to try by myself. Thanks

DIY isn't gonna be much cheaper for a one and done situation. It can be done, but doesn't mean it's going to be comfortable.

I believe you've got the right mind set to go guided.

Idaho would be easier to find and outfitter that's going to give you a true back country experience, and OTC/General tag.
        Probably going to be a physically challenging hunt even with horses. Might want to put that into your calculation.

NM is gonna be pricey, and most run out of lodge. Hunt shouldn't be as physical as Idaho, but the better shape you're in before you go the better odds and fun you'll have.

Good luck in your search

Comment

East Fork Outfitters in Connor MT. Owner's name is Bob. We've hunted with him twice, certainly had plenty of opportunities. His style hunt is similar to what you are looking for.

https://www.eastforkoutfitters.com/

Comment

Check out Backcountry Outfitters in Pagosa Springs Colorado. Awesome people, experience, food, everything. Went with them in 2021 and rebooked with them for 2023.

Comment

Tel Gates with Rivers Bend Outfitters in Meeker. Hunted with them this year and he and the crew are top notch folks.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
                DIY isn't gonna be much cheaper for a one and done situation. It can be done, but doesn't mean it's going to be comfortable.

I believe you've got the right mind set to go guided.

Idaho would be easier to find and outfitter that's going to give you a true back country experience, and OTC/General tag.
                Probably going to be a physically challenging hunt even with horses. Might want to put that into your calculation.

NM is gonna be pricey, and most run out of lodge. Hunt shouldn't be as physical as Idaho, but the better shape you're in before you go the better odds and fun you'll have.

Good luck in your search
                Thanks, I'm in fairly good shape, but I know I'm not in mountain shape. but I should have close to 2 years to get there

Comment

PM inbound

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    PM inbound
                    Thanks

Comment

Following…I’m wanting to do the same thing.

Comment

Look up Lee Livingston in Cody, WY. Awesome country, mule deer hunted up there twice had a great experience will probably get to see a griz or two as well.

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
                          Look up Lee Livingston in Cody, WY. Awesome country, mule deer hunted up there twice had a great experience will probably get to see a griz or two as well.
                          I bookmarked his website. I found his info on a previous post

Comment

Ive use LOH outfitters in NM, great people and a really great time.

Comment

If I was wanting to do a elk hunt on pack horses I would be looking at outfitters in WY and ID for the Absaroka's or BM wilderness. Just my suggestion if wanting to go more for the experience than a trophy, although the possibility of a real trophy is there.

Comment

Working...
                              X