Talk to me about ice makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our fridge’s ice maker went out. It will cost about $400-$500 to fix. It appears you can buy a stand alone commercial type ice maker for around the same price. I have water plumbed to my garage where my water softener is located and assume a plumber could run a water line to the ice maker. Right now I’m spending about $200-$300/year on buying bags of ice.

Is getting a stand alone ice maker worth it? Any problems putting it in the garage? Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While an ice maker isn't a good enough reason to go out and get a new fridge, our fridge was 15 years old so we decided to get a new one before the old one went out. This was after it woke us up at 5 am screeching one morning...

If you are ok with the inconvenience of going to your garage to get ice and feel like your fridge has another 5 or so years left, yeah that makes total sense to get the ice maker.

Not to mention if its like the one I am thinking, to have ice easily available for when you need it... ice buckets, sore shoulders etc.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Doesn't a commercial icemaker need a drain in the floor?

Comment

Worth every penny! I love ours it’s so much more convenient than having to always stop and buy 4 and 5 bags of ice. I say do it and you’ll be glad you did. If you spend that much on ice a year it’s a no brainer. There shouldn’t be any issues putting in the garage. More than likely whoever installs it would run some pex outside the wall unless you just wanted it covered up. They will need to put a small hole through the wall to the outside so it can drain.
        Last edited by diamond10x; 08-10-2021, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Picking mine up in the morning. Under the counter “Sonic-style” ice machine. I’m gonna be a hero around here!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            Picking mine up in the morning. Under the counter “Sonic-style” ice machine. I’m gonna be a hero around here!

Thinking about getting the same. What brand are you getting ?

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
              Thinking about getting the same. What brand are you getting ?

Hoshizaki

Comment

Not sure what unit you are looking for in that price range. We have two older Manitowac machines that have been really good to us. One is a small commercial under counter 80# machine that around 18yrs old. It runs everyday for home use, puts out some heat in the garage, the fan is loud, and probably pulls as much power as a deep freeze but works very well. But when we need ice we have it. Last I checked replacing it would be around $2200. The other machine is larger which we turn on and off to bag ice for fishing trips. Small residential under counter units are problematic in my experience and cost almost as much as a commercial unit. To answer the questions, yes it will work in the garage if you can drain it and yes you would like it but I would recommend Manitowac or Hoshizaki if you can swing it.

Comment

Ours quit last month. Bought a cheap counter top model today. We shall see.

Comment

I didn’t think about the drain line. That could be a problem with our current set up and where I’d want to put it.

Although, I was looking at this one and it doesn’t appear to require a drain. However, it also doesn’t produce as much ice as others.

Buy the EdgeStar undefined undefined Direct. Shop for the EdgeStar undefined undefined 12 Lb. Built-In Ice Maker - Stainless Steel and Black and save.

Comment

Make one outta a deep freeze!

Comment

GE Opal 2.0, a chest freezer, and 50 ice bags will cover your busted ice maker & $2-300 annual ice habit. It’d be a $650 initial setup but you’d have sonic ice inside on demand & if you bag it & stock your chest freezer, you have it in your coolers at the lease all year.

Comment

Ice makers are pretty finicky about the water being used in them. If you have any hardness at all, the calcium will build up and they won't dump correctly. We have that type of water so our home and none of our rentals has an ice maker in the refrigerator. I used to haul ice home sixty pounds at a time until I realized that I could go back to the basics and spend two or three minutes a day dumping ice trays and filling them. It is a pain, but so was dealing with the expense of ice makers and buying ice. Get an R.O. instead of an ice maker. Your ice tea will rival anything available commercially.

Comment

You can drain it outside if that helps.
                            You should put a good water filter in the line.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              Hoshizaki

Of course!

If you drain it right outside the wall expect plenty of water to be around. The last one we did was on an outside wall and drained to a pool drain type cover in the driveway then french style toward the front yard

Comment

Working...
                              X