Things to do in Montana???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife & I are planning a trip to Montana late this summer. We are just looking to go to a place we have never been. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do. We are thinking about a horse back ride into the mountains, a raft trip down a river. Maybe some fly fishing. We haven't pick a destination in Montana yet, so it anyone has any suggestion, please let me know. Probably going in August or September

There is a rodeo in West Yellowstone that is kinda fun. You can horseback ride beforehand

Comment

Frank zappa became a dental floss tycoon! Lolol.
      Oh....nevermind!

Comment

Endless things to do.

Fly fish, hike, raft, sight see. Heck, I even enjoy just driving there.

Me and the girlfriend are flying in to Missoula next Friday for a week. The only thing set in stone on the agenda is one day of fishing and two nights in Missoula so she can have some fun shopping and we can hit my favorite watering holes. The other days we are just gonna feel it out and will likely end up road tripping and hiking. I find it impossible to get bored there.

Comment

I would put Glacier National Park high on your list

Comment

I can tell you where not to go in Montana... Baker. This place is the most boring area I've spent any time around.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
              I can tell you where not to go in Montana... Baker. This place is the most boring area I've spent any time around.
              Yeah I would definitely aim more west of there.

Comment

Custer's Battlefield, Glacier NP, hiking, fishing, rafting, sight-seeing. Yellowstone is primarily in Wyoming, but can be part of any Montana trip. Beartooth Hwy is called Most Scenic Drive in America. Cool towns are Gardner, Bozeman, Whitefish, Choteau, Missoula, Red Lodge. September is the time to go.

Comment

Yall can try your luck at mining Sapphires @ Gem Mountain or Spokane Bar. both are near Helena, Mt. Easy way is to buy a bucket or their concentrated material and wash and sift through it. Took my family up their last summer and we had a blast, lots of places to mine gold and gems and dig for fossils.

Comment

As Dudley said, try to make a drive on the Beartooth Highway. Google it. You won't regret it!

If you get up to Great Falls, go to the Charles Russell Museum. The drive along the Gallatin River between Bozeman and West Yellowstone is spectacular. Also, the visitor center at Quake Lake has some interesting history and a short film on the 1959 earthquake that formed Quake Lake on the Madison River below Hebdgen Lake.

Not knowing what part of the state you will be in limits the suggestions. You cannot see everything.

Comment

We will be spending some time in Wy. and Montana late summer as well. many good suggestions above and it is a wonderful place to be that time of year. Beyond some of the suggestions we are going to spend a few days at a place called " Paws Up Resort". A bit over the top perhaps but an amazing place in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        We will be spending some time in Wy. and Montana late summer as well. many good suggestions above and it is a wonderful place to be that time of year. Beyond some of the suggestions we are going to spend a few days at a place called " Paws Up Resort". A bit over the top perhaps but an amazing place in every way.

I really like the area Paws Up is in. Lots of good water close by and great scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're in northern Montana, Glacier National Park is insanely cool (especially if you're into hiking - stay on the east side for the best hikes). We coupled our trip with Banff in Canada.

Comment

We took in the beauty, fished and hiked. You can raft the rivers. Eat and drink some good food. Bear, Buffalo, elk, mule deer, speed goat..... all tasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wife and I are headed to Missoula next week for a week. Missoula is the liberal capital of Montana, other than that we love it. Glacier is my wife's favorite place on Earth. Going to the Sun Road is still closed but should be open all the way in another month. Well worth the trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X