Buck Ration vs. Rice Bran Pellet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck Ration vs. Rice Bran Pellet

Curious as to what would be better to feed at my place in Oklahoma. I own 70 acres in Choctaw County and I'm currently running 3 corn feeders. I have about 8 to 10 does/yearling/spikes hitting my feeders right now, but I would like something that is going to keep the bucks around and just bring more deer in in general.

I was looking at throwing a free choice tube that I have on one of my feeders and possibly feeding protein or rice bran pellets. But after reading and doing some research I see I can get buck ration and rice bran pellets for the same price. And, the buck ration I can throw in my feeders without changing anything.

Buck Ration:
    16% protein
    8% fat
    5% fiber

Rice Bran Pellet:
    12.5% protein
    10% fat
    12% fiber

Both at $.192 per pound, buck ration sold in 50# bag and rice bran pellets in a 40# bag.

I want something that isn't going to break the bank, will be better than corn for the deer, and something easy to feed them.

Thoughts between the 2?

Rice bran is harder to feed in a gravity feeder

I’ve got deer that will eat a bag of rice bran in 3 days.... 2 miles away it will rot on the ground untouched

Same two properties buck ration last a week and I poured it in a hog trap to get rid of it at the other place. After a month 1 doe ate 1 nibble

Comment

I’ve never fed rice bran but on my place in north Texas the deer go crazy for buck ration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        I’ve never fed rice bran but on my place in north Texas the deer go crazy for buck ration

I haven’t tried buck ration yet. Are you feeding it free choice or throwing it?

I don’t think my neighbors are doing any feeding besides some corn, so if I offer something a little different I think I can attract more of the deer in the area.

Comment

Where do you get this buck ration?

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
            Where do you get this buck ration?

They are out of McKinney and have several dealers in North Texas that carry it. www.buckration.com

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
              I haven’t tried buck ration yet. Are you feeding it free choice or throwing it?

I don’t think my neighbors are doing any feeding besides some corn, so if I offer something a little different I think I can attract more of the deer in the area.

I fed it out of a Krivoman protein feeder with The Hammer timer on it during the off-season with the tubes open during daylight hours. The deer loved it so now I am hunting over it with the tubes open from 7 AM - 8:30 AM and 6 PM - 7:30 PM.

I think if you feed it through throwing or a tube and you can offer something different than your neighbors you will have success.

If you have hogs, I’d fence off your feed station for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                I fed it out of a Krivoman protein feeder with The Hammer timer on it during the off-season with the tubes open during daylight hours. The deer loved it so now I am hunting over it with the tubes open from 7 AM - 8:30 AM and 6 PM - 7:30 PM.

I think if you feed it through throwing or a tube and you can offer something different than your neighbors you will have success.

If you have hogs, I’d fence off your feed station for sure.

Thanks for the info! The hammer timer sounds like the ticket on the protein feeder. I think I'll fill one of my spin cast feeders and see how the deer react to it. I appreciate the help!

Comment

I put out both at my place near Atoka last year. The deer consistently are the buck ration over the rice bran. I’d say buck ration for sure. I don’t think you’ll go wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter2989 View Post
                    I put out both at my place near Atoka last year. The deer consistently are the buck ration over the rice bran. I’d say buck ration for sure. I don’t think you’ll go wrong with it.
                    Thanks! I have a customer that uses buck ration too in far west Choctaw County and he says his deer will practically camp at those protein feeders until they finish it.

I'll be giving it a whirl!

Comment

I removed another feeder today of buck ration. Ain’t been touched in almost a month. Not even coons or hogs will eat it

Comment

My local feed store sells a product called Deer Ration which is a corn/soybean mix for $11.00/50# I believe. Has anyone ever used it?

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                          My local feed store sells a product called Deer Ration which is a corn/soybean mix for $11.00/50# I believe. Has anyone ever used it?
                          That's what we are referring to. I will be purchasing it from the manufacture in McKinney @ $9.60 per 50# bag of the 16%.

Comment

Rice bran meal deer will crush this time of year.

Buy corn and soybeans whole and mix them yourselves instead of buying the marked up mix

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              Rice bran meal deer will crush this time of year.

Buy corn and soybeans whole and mix them yourselves instead of buying the marked up mix

Where can I buy whole soybeans at a decent price?

Comment

Working...
                              X