Little Bit of Excitement this Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Bit of Excitement this Morning

Well, I started my morning off with a bang today. I’ve got a few hog traps set and was making my daily run around checking them first thing this morning. I got to my last trap and had a couple pigs in there so I grabbed my little savage .22 that I keep in my pickup and go to dispatch them.

I shoot the first one with no issue, then I pull the trigger on the second hog and get met with a huge bang and pieces flying out of the bottom of my rifle along a face full of unburnt powder. I was running a suppressor on the rifle, and it was as loud if not louder than a short barrel AR with a brake on it.

After checking to make sure I still had all my fingers, I started assessing the damage. The hog dropped immediately, so the bullet obviously left the barrel. The magazine blew out of the bottom and broke all of the spot welds on it and came apart in several pieces. Bolt was slightly hard to open and the case head was separated and stuck to the bolt face, the rest of the case was still in the chamber. The bottom metal of the rifle is slightly bent, but the rifle is otherwise fine. The dead air mask I was running is completely fine as well.

My best guess is that particular round somehow got a double charge of powder. I really wouldn’t have guessed that a .22 would have enough pressure to blow out of a bolt gun like that, but I was certainly proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New one to me. Glad you have fingers...

Comment

I had much the same experience with a Glock 23 several years ago. Mag fell on the ground, the report was very loud and the recoil was more like a 10mm than a .40 S&W. There was a hole in the brass where it’s unsupported but other than that no damage. I still have the gun and it still runs like a top.

Glad you suffered no damage !

Comment

Wow that's scary Glad you're OK

Comment

If you have the box with lot number I would contact the manufacturer

I would also contact Savage to get some feedback from them.

I did not think you could get enough powder in a .22LR case to cause that much damage either.
          Will be watching to see if cause is identified

Comment

Wow that’s crazy. Growing up I did some stupid work with 22lr and double charges on 10/22 carbine. Looking back it was wreckless. But never broke and was considerably louder.

Comment

I have heard of this happening with a 17 HMR Savage, that some guy was shooting some Hornady ammo through. Did almost exactly the same thing. That guy found the case was split, then checked the box of ammo and found multiple other rounds with the same problem.

What exactly causes it, I am not sure, too much powder possibly. I would not think it was possible with a 22 LR.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                If you have the box with lot number I would contact the manufacturer

I would also contact Savage to get some feedback from them.

I did not think you could get enough powder in a .22LR case to cause that much damage either.
                Will be watching to see if cause is identified

I really don’t have any clue what ammo it was other than it being federal. They’re probably fairly old. I’ve got random .22 ammo everywhere and I found a couple hundred rounds that I had in a ziplock when I was cleaning out my ammo closet the other day.

They’re subsonic, so the loud bang was dang sure a surprise when I was expecting the normal click that you get from suppressed subs. Safe to say the rest of that bag is getting tossed. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X