Second Chance Buck (Burnet County)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Chance Buck (Burnet County)

Not too many times in life do you get a do over...but I was blessed enough to get one on Friday evening. Here is the story:

Two weeks ago Sunday, I decided to go hunting before church (probably a bad idea, looking back). As the woods begin wake up, my feeder spun and the deer immediately began to feed. One particular doe came in being pushed around by a very nice buck, one I had never seen on camera. He was a shooter for sure. In the meantime, 5 other bucks of various sizes came in and started pushing her all over the place. Instead of waiting for my excitement and nerves to settle and wait for the best possible shot, for some reason I quickly drew, found the big buck, punched the release, and made a poor shot. I saw him run off with my 95% of my arrow hanging out, high and forward. It was a disgusting feeling, I hope to never repeat. I waited an hour then followed exactly where he went. About 40 yards away, I found my arrow laying in the trail and exactly zero blood anywhere. After seeing the lack of penetration, I could only hope that this deer would survive and I would maybe get a second chance at him. I had a wedding last weekend so I was unable to hunt. Almost 2 full weeks had passed since I had wounded the buck. I was excited to get back to the woods Friday afternoon, but after checking my camera cards, I had no sightings of him, so did not have high expectations of the hunt.

Friday afternoon I get climb in my tree stand with wind from NE. About 15 minutes after feeder throws, I hear rustling from the cedar thicket to my right. A young high horned 8 point walks out slowly and heads in the direction of my downwind, directly behind him is the big heavy horned buck I was after. I could see the wound where I hit him 2 weeks prior, but he was not limping and it didn't slow him down in the least. As the two bucks continued to circle to my down wind side, the second they got to my scent line. The big buck stopped, slowly turned around and then walked away the exact same path he came in on. The young buck followed suit about 15 seconds later. I thought for sure that would be the last time I would see them that hunt. However bummed I was, I was very excited that the buck was still out there and was not just buzzard bait. The next 45 minutes had zero activity at feeder. Then, a young doe with a slight limp, I am familiar with came in to feed. This time she was acting a little funny, that was because she was being followed by the buck I had seen before. She lead him by my shooting lane at 14yards. This time I calmly, drew, took aim, breathed out, and slowly squeeze my release. He only went about 30 yards and I heard him crash. After shaking like crazy for a few minutes, I climbed down, picked up my bloody arrow, and walked over to this second chance buck, I decided his name would be, "Redemption."

The Lord has provided me with a beautiful wife and family, an awesome place to hunt, great friends, and a wealth of other material possessions. I am truly blessed beyond measure. I also know that none of those things matter. But, because of Jesus Christ and his sacrifice we all are given a do over, in Life, one that actually matters. Thank you Lord.
    Attached Files

Nicely done.

Comment

Congrats! You look mad at that deer.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
          Congrats! You look mad at that deer.

I was thinking he looked like stone cold killer. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Nice deer for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Smile man....First off, you know Jesus. 2nd, that's a great deer!

Congrats!

Comment

Wow great write up and congrats on the buck! It almost never happens like that!

Comment

Heckuva deer and write up.......As a benefactor of a similar redemption hunt a few years ago, all I can say is way to get it done the second time around staying with the bow..... Congrats!

Comment

Awesome! Way to be patient.

Comment

Man that's a great write up. Congrats. I have a similar story on a 153 inch 8pt. Shot thru him quartering away and lost him. Shot another arrow thru him 16 days later standing in the same spot. I know the feelingm

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by Wfalls View Post
                        PM sent
                        Did not see a PM?

Comment

I love the story, enjoyed reading it, and I am very happy for the happy ending. You're right, not many get the chance for redemption. Way to execute!

But for goodness sakes! Smile! You look mad at the world! I bet you smile when you put him on the wall and the backstraps on the grill!

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                              But for goodness sakes! Smile! You look mad at the world! I bet you smile when you put him on the wall and the backstraps on the grill!

Yes yes this too!....these are not high school football pics.. Smile look ecstatic....Your last paragraph and your picture do not match up....

Comment

Working...
                              X