No announcement yet.

St. Augustine grass help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best my st augustine looked was with cornmeal, alfalfa pellets and a lot of water

Comment

It’s probably a pH issue with your water. Test the water coming out of your irrigation heads using a simple kit you can get at any pool supply store and see what it is. I’m betting your water is around 8+ and basically creating a high alkaline soil, which will adversely affect how plants can take in and process nutrients.

Be sure to test the water coming directly from the irrigation heads in case you have a water softener or other filters for the home supply. Might as well test the water from inside the house too, just so you can see if there is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        It’s probably a pH issue with your water. Test the water coming out of your irrigation heads using a simple kit you can get at any pool supply store and see what it is. I’m betting your water is around 8+ and basically creating a high alkaline soil, which will adversely affect how plants can take in and process nutrients.

Be sure to test the water coming directly from the irrigation heads in case you have a water softener or other filters for the home supply. Might as well test the water from inside the house too, just so you can see if there is a difference.

Will do, I have test strips for our little pool. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post

If thats the case, what do you do to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            In this instance, pelletized sulphur would help. I used to have this very problem when I lived in Corpus.

Comment

The best my st augustine looked is when I sold the house that had it and never looked back. What a pain in the butt grass.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                In this instance, pelletized sulphur would help. I used to have this very problem when I lived in Corpus.
                thank you.

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                The best my st augustine looked is when I sold the house that had it and never looked back. What a pain in the butt grass.
                That might be the best advice yet. Lol I’m about ready to just overseed the whole thing with bermuda grass and be done with it. That stuff grows anywhere, anytime.

Comment

Potash! Potash! Potash! In these drought conditions potash is the best thing you can do for your lawn. I would lighten up on nitrogen and phosphorus in this heat. I put a 15-0-20 at 350 lbs per acre, I used sulfate as my nitrogen source on this 7.8 ph soil. This is St Augustine grass and it’s getting watered every 2nd day at around .3 of an inch, it’s holding up extremely well in this 100 degree heat.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Everybody needs to read this response.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      Pellet sulfur works but I had good luck with top dressing with peat moss. Peat Moss has a very low PH and will stop take all root rot since it requires higher PH to spread. Worked for me

Comment

Looks like chinch bugs to me. Get some pyrethrin.

Comment

looks better than my St. Augustine. I don't water it and its pretty crispy now. But it always comes back. Had grubs under it in years past too but the next year, nothing. Green as ever. Pretty hardy grass.

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
                            Everybody needs to read this response.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...4&postcount=10

The link in your link is

Its a good read but didn't cover brown patch prevention.
                            For brown patch, I I stop watering late July, no fertilizer, and let the soil dry. Most people do the opposite and water more for the heat but payoff is a better lawn in the fall.

Comment

will look into the potash closer, wondering about cost.

Someone mentioned corn meal. Apply in the fall kills winter weeds and great fertilizer however the corn gluten kicks a s s . Best fertilizer along with some of the humus but its cost prohibitive.
                              I keep it simple with 13-13-13, its cheaper and has nitrogen, potash, and phospates.
                              Not too much nitrogen. Takes 2 or 3 weeks to kick in.
                              Rain water would help, praying for rain

Comment

Willing to bet it's take all patch. I see a lot of lawns with it in our area. Lawns with take all are struggling more with this drought. If it is chinch bugs you should be able to see them. You could send in a plant sample to have it checked. As ateague11 said peat moss will help for the short term. Also lowering the PH to just below neutral will also help control it.

Comment

Working...
                                X