ERCOT grid dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ERCOT grid dashboard

Interesting THX.....we barely keep up with demand ...wait tell B gets his nightmare...How we gona CHARGE all these E CARS...without MELTING power lines or a choice of COOL or WALK...HU??????????

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
      Interesting THX.....we barely keep up with demand ...wait tell B gets his nightmare...How we gona CHARGE all these E CARS...without MELTING power lines or a choice of COOL or WALK...HU??????????
      Someone will come along and explain it better than me, but basically we don't generate electricity just to generate electricity. You want to have as much power as necessary to keep the grid stable, but not waste money by producing excess power that is never consumed.

Comment

well sort of. when power is produced it has to go somewhere. too much power produced makes for overvoltage and over frequency. Too little the frequency falls and then system voltage. you cant just make electricity and have sit there in a can waiting to be used so to speak.
        so what most are interested in is the reserves value; meaning what is available to boost up the system

Comment

I work at a leaking plant, we won’t run if there’s not money to be made. We play the market most of the time or we run if the city needs load.

Comment

Just got a text message asking for conservative use of power 1400 to 1900

Looks like the wind is letting us down
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pedernal; 07-13-2022, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              Someone will come along and explain it better than me, but basically we don't generate electricity just to generate electricity. You want to have as much power as necessary to keep the grid stable, but not waste money by producing excess power that is never consumed.
              Power plants have the ability to increase or decrease the amount of electricity we produce upon demand. Having said that they're is a limit of how much/little we can produce. The plant I work at is a 2 unit coal fired plant. Each unit has the capability of producing 525 megawatts. The lowest we'll run is 200. If load is not there we'll bring a unit/units offline

Comment

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
                Power plants have the ability to increase or decrease the amount of electricity we produce upon demand. Having said that they're is a limit of how much/little we can produce. The plant I work at is a 2 unit coal fired plant. Each unit has the capability of producing 525 megawatts. The lowest we'll run is 200. If load is not there we'll bring a unit/units offline
                So it's been a few years since I worked in a coal plant. When I was there, the heat/cool cycling killed the longevity of the boiler. Has that issue been fixed? We were retrofitting low NOx burners into units from the 1940's, and to produce for just a few more years before being permanently shut down.

The ramp up/ramp down cycling was a massive issue for us, and we had lots of tube failures on all the units, even the 525 MW unit that we commissioned starting in 2005.

Comment

Here around 300 pm it looks like demand will outpace quick start capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    Just got a text message asking for conservative use of power 1400 to 1900

Looks like the wind is letting us down

I've received two emails from my provider citing lack of wind and solar generation.

I'm sure there are some in the know on here that can explain that further or why that isn't necessarily the case.

Comment

Democrats:

We need to conservative electricity.

Also Democrats:

We need to all be driving electric cars

Comment

cool tool thanks for sharing

ac

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                          I was thinking the same thing. "turn your air up to save energy" while all the E-cars charge up...
                          makes perfect sense...

Comment

I've been watching those graphs. I'm more concerned with actual load and how much ancillary power is available. If the weather does what some models are calling for in ten days, I'm rolling out the generators and hooking them up for when the blackouts come.

Comment

On the Texas grid, congestion is also a challenge to get the power from the generation locations to the consumers locations. Bottlenecks in transmission infrastructure can also cause blackouts even when there is plenty of generation capacity.

Comment

Working...
                              X