Aluminum Boat Rec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Boat Rec.

Needing recommendations for a shop to strip, clean, and paint (or powdercoat) my 14’ Alweld. Will powdercoat hold up on a boat or will paint be better option?
    Cost isn’t my only factor. Just want a good job done.

I’m in Huntsville, so i recon anywhere between Houston and Dallas would work.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea good luck with that …,cheap labor hard to find. I’d rather flip burgers for $20…just saying. God bless your project.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
      Yea good luck with that …,cheap labor hard to find. I’d rather flip burgers for $20…just saying. God bless your project.

Cheap labor is not what i said, but OK.

Comment

There is a guy in HV that does powder coating, can’t remember his name, but there is a shop on 75 north across from rural water supply office, they might know. If I find his name I will pm you. Thought about doing mine in bed liner paint, still researching it.

Comment

call Austin Boatright, at Boatright marine.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
            There is a guy in HV that does powder coating, can’t remember his name, but there is a shop on 75 north across from rural water supply office, they might know. If I find his name I will pm you. Thought about doing mine in bed liner paint, still researching it.

I know the shop you are talking about. I pass them going pay my water bill. I didn’t know they powder coat. I’ll stop in there when i get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
              I know the shop you are talking about. I pass them going pay my water bill. I didn’t know they powder coat. I’ll stop in there when i get a chance.

I don’t know if they powder coat I think they do wraps, but they might be able to steer you in right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
                I don’t know if they powder coat I think they do wraps, but they might be able to steer you in right direction.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tip

Comment

in for details. im wanting to do the same on my jon boat

Comment

Never heard of anyone powder coating an aluminum boat. I’d bet the prep work might make it cost prohibitive, but definitely worth looking in to. Give Allied Powder a call, in Houston.

Comment

Never heard of power coating one either.

Join TX Tiny boat on FB.

Stripping and painting an aluminum boat isn't rocket surgery. Unless you're not physically able it's a pretty easy weekend project.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Powder coating is hands down more durable than any field applied paint, as I do commercial metal refinishing for a living.

Quality powder coating or cross link may be your only options who can fit boat in a oven.

Comment

A wrap on the exterior might be a good idea.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys.
                            Durability is what i was looking for but was unsure, as you said, if a 14’ boat could fit in an oven or if it would not be cost productive.

I thought about coating the bottom with Herculiner or something similar. I think it would stick to the carpet bunks a ton and maybe even slow the boat some on plane with it not being slick?

I have a way to paint it myself, but don’t really know much on durability of different paints, if i should use an all in one and skip primer or the other way around.

Comment

For field application, sand all areas with 220. Then solvent clean, epoxy prime and top coat with 2 part urethane (you can find marine grade). Recommend lighter colors as they hold up to sun and don’t fade as quickly.

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                              Thanks for all the tips guys.
                              Durability is what i was looking for but was unsure, as you said, if a 14’ boat could fit in an oven or if it would not be cost productive.

I thought about coating the bottom with Herculiner or something similar. I think it would stick to the carpet bunks a ton and maybe even slow the boat some on plane with it not being slick?

I have a way to paint it myself, but don’t really know much on durability of different paints, if i should use an all in one and skip primer or the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                              X