K&N cold air intake issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N cold air intake issue

I installed a K&N cold air intake on my 2020 Silverado about a month a month ago. Did everything I was supposed to according to instructions. Immediately the “check air filter system” notification shows up on my dashboard. No big deal. Well today I pulled into a parking to go into the store and as I was doing so i need to put it in reverse to straighten up. When I put the truck in reverse my truck did a weird double open throttle (on its own)!and then I went back into drive. Everything was normal. The check engine light is now on. Does anyone on the green screen have experience with air intakes and this is issue? Can anyone give me an explanation of that is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know some of those aftermarket CAI have to have a spacer or something done to make the sensor in the intake read correctly.

Comment

Stupid question, but did you disconnect the battery and let the truck go through a re-learn?

I’m pretty sure you did, as you said you followed all instructions, but tossing it out there anyway. I’ve put K&N and VaraRam intakes on several vehicles so I’m kind of curious what the issue is and solution will be.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
        I know some of those aftermarket CAI have to have a spacer or something done to make the sensor in the intake read correctly.

I didn’t see that when I did the install. Everything seemed to work out perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
          Stupid question, but did you disconnect the battery and let the truck go through a re-learn?

I’m pretty sure you did, as you said you followed all instructions, but tossing it out there anyway. I’ve put K&N and VaraRam intakes on several vehicles so I’m kind of curious what the issue is and solution will be.

I disconnected the battery. I’m not sure how you go through a relearn.

Comment

MAF sensor might have got some filter oil on it. Get some electronics cleaner and clean it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
              I disconnected the battery. I’m not sure how you go through a relearn.

Should do that on its own once the battery is reconnected.

Oil on the MAF as suggested above could be in play. Could also be something not put together quite right, allowing more air than normal and causing the computer to increase fuel flow as a result.

No idea but definitely seems strange.

Comment

Son had the same issue on his Tundra. Wonder if he fixed it???

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                  Son had the same issue on his Tundra. Wonder if he fixed it???

Please let me know

Comment

Most likely 1 of 2 scenarios. 1. MAF sensor got some filter on it and needs to be cleaned. 2. MAF sensor is installed backwards. I only mention #2 because I did it on my 2018 Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've removed several K&N filters due to oil messing up the MAF sensor. The little gain from the filter ain't worth the problems.

Comment

Yea I’m going to check out the MAF sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                          Most likely 1 of 2 scenarios. 1. MAF sensor got some filter on it and needs to be cleaned. 2. MAF sensor is installed backwards. I only mention #2 because I did it on my 2018 Chevy.

It’s funny you mention that. Every video and instruction manual stresses installing the maf correctly

Comment

I was about to order a CAI for my 2021 Silverado but I’ve been reading people have lots of problems with them. All different brands of CAI are giving problems, some more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                              I was about to order a CAI for my 2021 Silverado but I’ve been reading people have lots of problems with them. All different brands of CAI are giving problems, some more than others.

I installed a rotofab CAI on my 2021 Silverado in November. I have had zero issues. Very pleased with it.

Went ahead and installed a JLT catch can at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                              X