AIRBNB and VRBO cleaning fees ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
    I don’t own one but it’s very simple- if you don’t like paying the cleaning costs then don’t rent it! It’s that simple!

We’ve rented many and we always leave them cleaner than we have found them, It’s just part of the costs! We have been refunded the cleaning fee before.
    When we travel we just pay the fee as we understand it. And we know the owner is not making any real money. Renting a place for $300 a weekend adds up to a lot less than people think. And the owner pays AirBnB fees also, plus electric, fixing things, gas/propane.

If someone stays with us and leaves the place clean they can always call us and pay cash next time. Saves a lot of $$.

Comment

I own a vrbo on PK and charge 250 cleaning fee. I don't make a dime off it and if you don't clean up before you leave(ie pull sheets and put towels in bath etc) I get charged an additional 50 bucks.

Comment

I'm fine with a fee if it's shown up front. I do agree that some of these rentals seem to have a good rate until you factor in all of the fees. I understand the owner doesn't make anything from the cleaning fee, however, why isn't that just built into the rental price itself? It seems a lot of these rentals like to show a decent nightly rate and then tack on the fees when it's time to enter the payment information. Not much different than a hotel or rental car place.

With that said, some of these cleaning fees seem pretty high. At least in our area a typical housekeeper will charge $80-$100 for cleaning a standard size house (i.e. 2500-3000 SF). So, I can see a higher fee for being charged on a short term rental, but some of these fees in the $200-300 range seem high.

Comment

I'm not too fond of this because I feel it should be included in the nightly price and not an add-on charge. If you're renting on a per-diem basis, then the fee should be included in the price and a damage fee assessed if the rental is left in unjust condition.

Comment

Should be included in the cost

Comment

Originally posted by Nemlo View Post
              I'm not too fond of this because I feel it should be included in the nightly price and not an add-on charge. If you're renting on a per-diem basis, then the fee should be included in the price and a damage fee assessed if the rental is left in unjust condition.
              That is what I was talking about. Just included in the fee without having to look up extras. I could care less if they charge $300 a night cleaning fee. If somebody wants to rent the location at that price, awesome.

When you rent a hotel room, it doesn’t say $39.

Plus $20 room service
              $10 hot water/shower
              $25 housekeeping
              $5 telephone
              $15 electricity

$39 + $75 fees = $114 before taxes.

Obviously a VRBO/ABnB owner doesn’t have to do that but it should be just as obvious is that some people don’t rent because they’re turned off by that.

Comment

stayed in plenty and everyone had a cleaning fee. Its part of it. Just know that going in. I did decide this last stay for just 3 night that it really isn't worth it unless you are looking for the "experience" the VRBO offers and I do believe there is a value to that but it needs to be thought about.

Comment

The fees and all at the end turn me off too. My wife usually books and its say $400 a night for the beach house. Stay 5 nights and it cost $3,000. Wait, what?

So we ended up buying a beach house at Crystyal Beach. Doing the vrbo thing. This is our first season and self managing, but so far so good. We set a daily rate and add in what cleaners charge. VRBO adds in their fees and I guess it is what it is. We try to provide a nice experience for folks and hopefully pay for that sucker. Maybe hedge a little inflation and get a tax break or two. Let's Go Brandon!

Comment

The problem with building a cleaning fee into the nightly price is the variability of the stay. If you're staying 1 night it's kinda tough to put a $200 cleaning fee into that nightly price and have it come out the same as someone staying 7 days.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      The problem with building a cleaning fee into the nightly price is the variability of the stay. If you're staying 1 night it's kinda tough to put a $200 cleaning fee into that nightly price and have it come out the same as someone staying 7 days.
                      Good point.

People also need to complain to AirBnB about this. The people who rent their places using AirBnB don't like a lot of the crap either. They have to play the game.

Comment

This is true. Cleaner charges the same no matter how long the stay. So cleaner charges $150 flat fee. For 3 night stay cleaning would be $50 per night. For 5 night stay it would be 30 per night.

Comment

AirB&B has been in the news/social media cycle a ton because of these cost and the stock is going down big time. Looks like lots of people are fed up with it.

Comment

I only airbnb if a week or at least multi-day stay then cleaning fee averaged out isn't a concern compared to a motel.

Comment

I like the transparency. I can do the math comparison per night stay just as easy.

Comment

This is for the Mathis House in Rockport:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X