Catalytic Converter theft deterrent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
    I will probably jinx myself and get mine stolen tomorrow; however, I don't personally know anyone who has had one stolen. I agree the device appears to be easily defeated and instead of spending money on the device it seems like even though the risk of theft is real, the odds of having your vehicle targeted is relatively low.
    Depends what you drive. If you have a nice truck,
    Don’t go to a boat ramp at Sam Rayburn.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
      I saw this skid plate from Talons Garage that looks like a pretty good Cat theft deterrent. It’s $200 more than the basic Cat Strap but that’s not a bad deal. I’d assume most of the thieves aren’t prepared for a partial skid plate removal.

This crime spree is definitely getting widespread. It’s hit close to home with a number of friends being victimized. Just this week a Houston cat theft & high speed chase ended just down the road with a standoff and arrest in Alvin.

https://www.talonsgarage.com/shop-f150
      they need to crack down on the people/ scrapyards that are buying them from the thieves -

Comment

I have an extra can of orange heat resistant paint if someone needs it

Comment

The cat straps have heat activated glue. It took around 80 miles before they stopped being smelly. Sunday we did a 2hr drive and the smell is gone...

Comment

As soon as I get the O2 sensor code taken care of, I’m ordering the straps.

Comment

Paint them with red or orange high temp paint and they will not take it. No incentive as scrap yards will not buy them

Comment

Stole mine today. I am displeased.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                  Well dang it. Go back with original equipment...

Comment

Sorry to hear that. This is getting ridiculous.

What kind of vehicle? No guards in place I’m assuming?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Paint them with red or orange high temp paint and they will not take it. No incentive as scrap yards will not buy them
                      I bought a can off Amazon and have so far just painted my commuter trucks cats for practice.

If it works- great (but you would never really know with out some sort of surveillance of them sliding under then skipping vehicle).

If not, I'm only out ~$15 and some time on my back- Hmm, there's a middle school joke in there somewhere.....

One can ought to do my 4 vehicle fleet.

On another note-

I durn near hit a street walker leaving my neighborhood this morning at 4:30.
                      I had just passed and older dodge truck I didn't recognize. Made me wonder if they weren't working together on something less than honorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Sorry to hear that. This is getting ridiculous.

What kind of vehicle? No guards in place I’m assuming?
                        My tundra. Broad day light at Home Depot. My wife took my truck. I have to call insurance today. Looks like parts alone are something like 9 or 10 grand.

Had a shield.

Comment

My tundra. Broad day light at Home Depot. My wife took my truck. I have to call insurance today. Looks like parts alone are something like 9 or 10 grand.

Had a shield.

****….. that’s worrisome!

Did they take the shield off? Did you you have security bolts on the shield?

Comment

Why does it seem like most stolen are on Tundras?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              ****….. that’s worrisome!

Did they take the shield off? Did you you have security bolts on the shield?
                              Just regular old nuts and bolts. Whatever came with it. They just left the shield laying there. My wife couldn’t find all the nuts and bolts either. Whatta pain in the rump.

Tundras are the most targeted according to the police. They are the easiest to access and you apparently can get the most more hey for them.

Comment

I haven’t seen it yet. Gone on business. Hopefully they didn’t cut all the wiring for the 02 sensors and stuff. Makes me mad enough to be real unpleasant.

Comment

Working...
                                X