Maiden voyage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maiden voyage

Four pints of chili and three pints of pinto beans.
    I’m going to can some of the venison I have in the freezer when I get a free weekend.

So are the beans for the chili. Just kidding LoL

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
      So are the beans for the chili. Just kidding LoL
      As most of us know, beans do not go in chili.
      I had room in the canner, so I filled it up with jars of pintos.

Comment

I have not seen one of those, interested in the results

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          I have not seen one of those, interested in the results

You aren't old school enough. This was all there was when growing up. The only freezer was a small corner in the refrigerator with room for about 4 aluminum ice cube trays.

Comment

Man those peppers, pickles n maters sure look good down below too Scotty!! I sure hope we get to do more canning this year! I finally got us a pressure canner last year, but didn't have anything to can...

Comment

Ill take a jar of japs and 2 jars of pickles please

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                You aren't old school enough. This was all there was when growing up. The only freezer was a small corner in the refrigerator with room for about 4 aluminum ice cube trays.
                I was referring to an electric pressure cooker.
                I can meats, vegetables even bacon

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Man those peppers, pickles n maters sure look good down below too Scotty!! I sure hope we get to do more canning this year! I finally got us a pressure canner last year, but didn't have anything to can...
                  That's just the grab from quick shelf. My pantry is full of pickles, salsa, tomato sauce and pasta sauce. And home made wine.
                  This is my first time to pressure can. And since I have all day, I broke out my mom's old stovetop canner. I'm doing more beans in a test run.
                  I have a couple of deer cubed up in the freezer and when I get a free weekend, I', going to can a bunch of that as well.
                  And a bunch of veggies from the garden this year.
                  I'm trying to rely less on the freezer...

Comment

Dang, I can’t count.
                    Four of each.
                    No siphoning and they all pinged.

Comment

Those look so good!! And good idea to reduce dependence on an electric freezer... We have 3 freezers and 2 fridge/freezers! My bride has always been afraid of a pressure cooker! When she was a little girl, she was at her grand ma's house when an old pressure cooker let go and about destroyed the kitchen and burned her grand ma pretty bad... All the steam put the fire out so it didn't really do anything but make a big mess... I bought her one of those fancy electric ones like you have that has all the safety bells and whistles on it... Sure hope I can get her to can with it this year... All we've ever done is bath canning like your stuff in the first pic... It's really good too, but limited as to what we can preserve... Got to get the pressure up in order to increase the curing temp above 212...

Comment

This is my first time to pressure can. And since I have all day, I broke out my mom's old stovetop canner.

That is awesome you are using Aunt Betty's canner! One of my favorite people ever! What a sweet lady she was and I have great memories of that kitchen for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                          This is my first time to pressure can. And since I have all day, I broke out my mom's old stovetop canner.

That is awesome you are using Aunt Betty's canner! One of my favorite people ever! What a sweet lady she was and I have great memories of that kitchen for sure

Good luck! I used the stovetop canner as well. Nowhere near as complicated as I thought.
                          We need to get together sometime soon!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                            Good luck! I used the stovetop canner as well. Nowhere near as complicated as I thought.
                            We need to get together sometime soon!
                            I can come over for Louie Muellars for lunch - let me know a good day for you in the next few weeks and I can meet you there

Comment

Working...
                            X