A/c electrics help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/c electrics help

Three nights ago our thermostat went out. I’ll checked the breakers they were all on. The thermostat does not have batteries and it is hardwired with a blue common wire. It has five strands of wire. I read on YouTube how to replace it. My wife bought a ring thermometer and we hooked it up as shown. Turn the breakers back on and it still does not light up.

How would I test if I’m getting power to the the thermostat.

Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

after having a similar problem about 15 years ago with a thermostat problem I decided to try and always purchase the same model/make of thermostat I was replacing. Even to the point of buying one on ebay so I did not have to deal with a similar scenario.

Comment

You make want to take a look at the outside unit to see if the wire was damaged.

Comment

Some heat units have a glass fuse on the low voltage side of
        transformer

Comment

With the thermostat removed you can check from the R to the G terminals. Should have 24VAC. Normally the thermostat has a base that has the terminals and a front that has the display that screws or snaps to the base. There is a transformer generally in your indoor unit that powers the thermostat.

Comment

Working...
          X