Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck hunters Is a boat blind needed at the coast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
    Best bet is to find some natural cover like mangroves to set up in and park the boat far a little ways away. Obviously this won't work if you're in open water. A buddy of mine built some small takedown blinds for that situation. Birds will get wise to big taco stand blinds whether they're permanent or on a boat.
    This is so true! One thing we did was build panels that sit on the top rails of the blind to make sure the only holes are for each hunter and then brush the crap out of the front and back to make sure there is a lot to break those up. The ope top of a blind looks like a giant black hole from above and really sticks out.

We have also tried using the boat blind in the middle of the pond/lake versus on the side of the bank. It allows birds to circle and decoy over the water the whole time and it you are brushed in really well it works.

Comment

Thats one thing to remember. Circling ducks will see that black hole in the middle on most boat blinds and keep on moving. At least that has been my experience.

Comment

Grew up hunting the coast and am not a fan of boat blinds. Just park it and walk. I’d recommend a sled that allows you to lay down in the marsh. Beaver tail offers a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A sled that you can turn into a layout is the best option ive seen at the coast. I did see a kayak converted a group set out in open bay where ducks raft. They were just switching shooters about every 15-20 minutes and were steady killing birds

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            A sled that you can turn into a layout is the best option ive seen at the coast. I did see a kayak converted a group set out in open bay where ducks raft. They were just switching shooters about every 15-20 minutes and were steady killing birds
            Always wanted to build a layout boat and try dat

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
              Always wanted to build a layout boat and try dat

Those things are way too small for me. We use them for geese and I feel like I’m in a coffin. They aren’t built for 6’5” guys. I do my best but I can’t ever actually get the **** doors shut on them haha

Comment

I use to hunt with a small/low profile Jon boat that could be parked up against the mangroves. Killed many birds 10ft from that boat. Blended in well, birds would swing around feet down right passed the boat. Completely depends on your set up and the area you hunt. A little taller mangrove will hide the boat, we parked according to where the birds would come from... before the birds realize something is up they are floating on the water.

Comment

Working...
                X