Looking for: Gumbo Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for: Gumbo Recipe

I know there has to be some cajuns on this site, does anybody have a tried and true gumbo recipe?

Thx,
    SouthTexBow

Deferring to Cajun Blake or Landrover as they are two of the pro's.

However, Cajun Ninja has a good recipe

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLnkE3nqL0"]Chicken & Sausage Gumbo HD by The Cajun Ninja - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Hard to beat the Cajun Ninja's recipes.

Comment

Google Emeril’s recipe for chicken and sausage gumbo. I discovered it years ago, and still use it several times a year. Very tasty!!

The biggest change in my gumbo was when I learned to make my own roux. Big difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

your gumbo is only as good as your stock. spend the time to make a good stock and it will make the gumbo so much better.

Comment

Not sure if it is as good as some but my wife likes mine.

Start with the roux in a cast iron pot, once roux is good and dark I add in a green bell pepper, yellow onion, green onions, and celery. once those are good and cooked through I add water and throw in the chicken breast and boil until chicken is ready then take out and shred it. throw the chicken back in with the sausage and just let it simmer for a few hours. I throw in liberal amounts of pepper, salt, Tony's, garlic powder and onion powder. Pretty simple but it eats pretty good.

Comment

Depending on your skill set. I would get the pre-made roux. That way if it ends up being thin you can bump it up.
              I like to sear my chicken in the pot first with some oil. Then make the roux. Add my celery, bell peppers, and onions until they caramelize a little. Add water, spice(everyone is different), and then chicken and cook for 3 to 4 hours on low. Add your sausage last. Adding the sausage to soon will add to much smoke flavor to the gumbo.

Rules to live by. No seafood and chicken together. A red gumbo is ok, but only for seafood gumbo. Eggs are optional, but **** good.

Comment

If you can find a roaster like in the video, you'll look like you know what your doing. lol

Comment

Don't forget the tater salad

Comment

Straight from a coon *****

First thing, you have to make the roux.

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
                    2 cups flour

Heat oil in a large iron skillet over medium heat. Stir in gradually, the flour, using a whisk to mix well (must always stir or wisk or it will burn easily). Cook for about 10 to 20 minutes until roux turns a dark brown (like a hershey bar). Remember, always keep an eye on it so it does not scorch. Once it reaches the right color, remove from heat.

Recipe for Gumbo

6 cans chicken broth
                    2 cups chopped onion
                    1 cup chopped celery
                    1 bunch chopped green onions (tops included)
                    2 cloves chopped garlic (or you can use garlic powder, about 1 - 2 teaspoons)
                    2 Tablespoons sugar
                    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
                    1 - 10 oz. can diced tomatoes (Rotel)
                    1 - 16 oz. pkg. chopped frozen okra (thawed)
                    salt, pepper to taste
                    3 lbs. shrimp, crab, oysters (use one or all three, your choice)
                    File' powder (in the spice section)

Put chicken broth in large pot and add everything (including roux), except seafood and file'. After broth reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 2 - 3 hours. Add seafood and file' (approx. 1 to 2 tablespoons). Simmer long enough until seafood is done (approx. 10 - 20 minutes). Take off burner and let sit about an hour before serving over rice.

A lot of success to this recipe is all about tasting as you go along. If you like more heat, add more cayenne. Same with garlic, okra, etc. All measurements for everything is up to you. I don't measure anything, just add what amount I want. Just trying to give you some kind of guidance. Also, some people add chopped sausage or cooked chicken to stretch it out (I don't, but just a suggestion).

Comment

**** this guy can cook good

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                        Straight from a coon *****

First thing, you have to make the roux.

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
                        2 cups flour

Heat oil in a large iron skillet over medium heat. Stir in gradually, the flour, using a whisk to mix well (must always stir or wisk or it will burn easily). Cook for about 10 to 20 minutes until roux turns a dark brown (like a hershey bar). Remember, always keep an eye on it so it does not scorch. Once it reaches the right color, remove from heat.

Recipe for Gumbo

6 cans chicken broth
                        2 cups chopped onion
                        1 cup chopped celery
                        1 bunch chopped green onions (tops included)
                        2 cloves chopped garlic (or you can use garlic powder, about 1 - 2 teaspoons)
                        2 Tablespoons sugar
                        1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
                        1 - 10 oz. can diced tomatoes (Rotel)
                        1 - 16 oz. pkg. chopped frozen okra (thawed)
                        salt, pepper to taste
                        3 lbs. shrimp, crab, oysters (use one or all three, your choice)
                        File' powder (in the spice section)

Put chicken broth in large pot and add everything (including roux), except seafood and file'. After broth reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 2 - 3 hours. Add seafood and file' (approx. 1 to 2 tablespoons). Simmer long enough until seafood is done (approx. 10 - 20 minutes). Take off burner and let sit about an hour before serving over rice.

A lot of success to this recipe is all about tasting as you go along. If you like more heat, add more cayenne. Same with garlic, okra, etc. All measurements for everything is up to you. I don't measure anything, just add what amount I want. Just trying to give you some kind of guidance. Also, some people add chopped sausage or cooked chicken to stretch it out (I don't, but just a suggestion).
                        New orleans people put celery and tomatoes in gumbo. Coon ***es do not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                          New orleans people put celery and tomatoes in gumbo. Coon ***es do not

He was my neighbor and a certified coon ***. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                            He was my neighbor and a certified coon ***. Lol

No self respecting coon **s will put celery and tomatoes in his gumbo. You've been bamboozled

Comment

Ok you are right. Argue over a recipe. Have a great day at school tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                              X