The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
    ELK.....what have you noticed in penetration difference... say at 20 yards and then at 70?
    Hmmmm? Good question. I will check that out tomorrow. I checked today my arrows are 406 grains at 298.8 fps.

Comment

Originally Posted by ELKAHOLIC
      Lots of practice lately. They are in trouble this is from 70
      ELK.....what have you noticed in penetration difference... say at 20 yards and then at 70?
      Ok top left arrows are from 70 lower right are from 20. It is interesting but there was only about 1" difference in penetration. This may be due to the age of the target. It is very hard. It takes everything I got to pull them.
      I don't believe this is a true indication of what kind of penetration I would get on a real bull, but who knows. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1344786646066.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	24103954Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1344786690328.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	24103955

Comment

I will be in Colorado tomorrow to hunt Pronghorn & scout for elk & mulies. I'll post pics when I can.

Comment

thanks Elk...good test. I would have thought there would be less penetration. The proof is in the pudding. I never shoot over 35 myself. Its about all you can see in the lodgepole anyway. And just not a long distance shooter. Glad you are practicing what you will be shooting. Wish you success this year...

Comment

I practice at all distances.

But I hope for a close shot

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
              I practice at all distances.

But I hope for a close shot
              Shoot over the chronograph at each distance and calculate your energy loss.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                Shoot over the chronograph at each distance and calculate your energy loss.
                I don't have one at the house. Again I am not fond of long shots on animals, but I love to practice long shots. It has taught me a lot and made me a better shooter. I have tested broad heads out to 100 which is very interesting and educational. I have also found that if they will hit good at long distance they will hit great at shorter distances. They can make a broadhead with a 4" cut and 200 grains, but if it doesn't fly good it's no good to me.

Comment

Had a bow sting go bad on me last week! Should get my new strings today or tomorrow. Hopefully I wont have to change a whole lot to my pins and I can just move the whole sight and get the 20 yd dead on and all my other pins will line up.

Wish me luck. 2 more weeks till season opens for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
                    Had a bow sting go bad on me last week! Should get my new strings today or tomorrow. Hopefully I wont have to change a whole lot to my pins and I can just move the whole sight and get the 20 yd dead on and all my other pins will line up.

Wish me luck. 2 more weeks till season opens for me.

12 days....tick tock.

Comment

Just shot two dozen arrows. It is great to shoot again with no pain.
                      Leave the 25th and return the 24th. it will be good to wake up shivering in the mornings.

Comment

Went through gear yesterday and packed up food bags.
                        I have food separated into 1 days worth of food in one gallon zip lock bag so I can grab how ever many days I need and go.
                        I am 6'1" and 260 lbs, so I am starting with my minimum caloric intake of 2400 calories per day. This comes in right now at 1.4 lbs per day.
                        I can also add another 400-700 calories per day by grabbing an extra mountain house meal to throw in if needed, maybe for every other day or so.

I don't tend to eat as much when in the mountains and I will have splurge days when I am hitting the truck in between spiking out.
                        I also did not count summer sausage/crackers or jerky that I will be packing.

I will be leaving the fifth wheel and using my truck with camper to get to the trailheads I am hunting from. Then everything till be on my back from there.

Been shooting a lot lately, things are peaking when they should, physically and mentally. I leave out the 23rd for the season.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                          Went through gear yesterday and packed up food bags.
                          I have food separated into 1 days worth of food in one gallon zip lock bag so I can grab how ever many days I need and go.
                          I am 6'1" and 260 lbs, so I am starting with my minimum caloric intake of 2400 calories per day. This comes in right now at 1.4 lbs per day.
                          I can also add another 400-700 calories per day by grabbing an extra mountain house meal to throw in if needed, maybe for every other day or so.

I don't tend to eat as much when in the mountains and I will have splurge days when I am hitting the truck in between spiking out.
                          I also did not count summer sausage/crackers or jerky that I will be packing.

I will be leaving the fifth wheel and using my truck with camper to get to the trailheads I am hunting from. Then everything till be on my back from there.

Been shooting a lot lately, things are peaking when they should, physically and mentally. I leave out the 23rd for the season.
                          Boy does that sound familiar food wise. Man sure could have used your muscle in the packing out Elk In past years. I always loved the stop in Dillon Mt and eating a couple of meat lover pizzas after a hard hunt..... haha. I'm 190 and stay in shape. The mountains kill chunky people. Wish you happy trails 3D. I'm outa here next week.
                          Last edited by elkbowhunter; 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Boy does that sound familiar food wise. Man sure could have used your muscle in the packing out Elk In past years. I always loved the stop in Dillon Mt and eating a couple of meat lover pizzas after a hard hunt..... haha. I'm 190 and stay in shape. The mountains kill chunky people. Wish you happy trails 3D. I'm outa here next week.
                            how long you have to hunt and where will you be?

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                              how long you have to hunt and where will you be?
                              This trip is 14 days. Going to try an early hunt this year around some productive water holes. Packing in several tree stands and just waiting them out. Time and patience. Probably pretty quiet as far as bugling goes this early on, so we will try just waiting them out unless they get vocal. I hunt in an area pretty much behind Telluride as the crow flies. Not many roads or people to speak of where I go. Good buddy lives in the area and has hunted this area by his cabin for over 25 years. Been seeing a few black bears by the waterholes and I do have a bear tag. Never shot a Colorado bear. Im going for meat, I shoot the first ELK that walks by. I sure wouldnt mind if its that 6x6 that keeps coming by.

have a great hunt. be safe!!

Comment

This trip is 14 days. Going to try an early hunt this year around some productive water holes. Packing in several tree stands and just waiting them out. Time and patience. Probably pretty quiet as far as bugling goes this early on, so we will try just waiting them out unless they get vocal. I hunt in an area pretty much behind Telluride as the crow flies. Not many roads or people to speak of where I go. Good buddy lives in the area and has hunted this area by his cabin for over 25 years. Been seeing a few black bears by the waterholes and I do have a bear tag. Never shot a Colorado bear. Im going for meat, I shoot the first ELK that walks by. I sure wouldnt mind if its that 6x6 that keeps coming by.

have a great hunt. be safe!!
                                right back at you.

I will be doing a lot of solo hunting this year, so I purchased a SPOT locator beacon I can activate in case of emergency for my family's peace of mind.

I will be in 86 and then moving up to 25,26 until I fill my deer tag, then moving where the elk are for the rest of season.

Going to try to hold out for a bull with that OTC either sex tag.

Comment

Working...
                                X