Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember when Emmit Smith held out for more money. I also remember that being a little easier to swallow because he wasn't wrapped up in all this off-season/non-football related monkey business. No shame in Zeke's game.

Comment

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
      Then you haven't paid as much attention to how this team has been built over the past few seasons. It is built around Zeke and the running game - so that the Cowboys can control the situations in which they do pass.

Cooper is good and he may ultimately become elite but he is nowhere close to an elite receiver up til now. Like Zeke, he was a 4th pick in the 1st round. In 5 years, he has only cracked the top 20 in a single receiving category 1 time. He made 1 Pro Bowl - as a late injury replacement.

Contrast that with Zeke who is elite.

As for Garrett, I'm not sure we'll ever know how good a coach he is or isn't until he is with an organization run like an NFL team should be. With a real GM and player personnel manager who are held as accountable as every other position - player, coach, management.
      I've payed plenty of attention to how it's been built. It's been built around running the ball because the GM wasted a 4th over all pick on a running back, and employs an inept offensive coach. It's built around an antiquated philosophy that's gotten them nowhere, and they're about to double down and get in salary cap trouble because they STILL don't realize that YOU CAN'T PAY EVERYONE! You definitely don't overpay at running back in a passing league.

With ALLLL Zeke has done in the last few years, where has it gotten the team? Nowhere. History tells us those are a RB's best years. The only way to improve as a team is to put the ball in his hands less. They have run the ball as much as they have, largely out of a distrust of the qb, but you can't improve that way. They HAVE to throw the ball more, and more effectively. It has been proven that Zeke running well does NOT open up the passing game. He sees like the 6th or 8th most 8 man fronts of ANY running back...

So you want to overpay a guy that needs to be used less, AND has proven to be an idiot at every turn?

Cooper has been playing for the effing Raiders, give me a break.

I havn't been paying attention?
      Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-30-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        Yep you could make the argument a top tier receiver is “worth” more than Zeke in the current setup and Oline. Not far fetched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        You don't even have to make the argument, it's the absolute truth. Look no further than actual league salaries.

Comment

So much angst for the third day of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post

All Zeke's fault!. At least he is keeping the heat off Dak contract talks.

Wait until preseason games start! D-Mo will be on fire.. He loves those..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              With ALLLL Zeke has done in the last few years, where has it gotten the team? Nowhere. History tells us those are a RB's best years. The only way to improve as a team is to put the ball in his hands less. They have run the ball as much as they have, largely out of a distrust of the qb, but you can't improve that way. They HAVE to throw the ball more, and more effectively. It has been proven that Zeke running well does NOT open up the passing game. So you want to overpay a guy that needs to be used less, AND has proven to be an idiot at every turn?
              We can all argue all day long over why they haven't won more, whose definition of elite is accurate, etc. What there is no argument about is that the Cowboys have a "run first" offense where the starting RB averages around 400 touches per season. Contrast that with a WR's touches and for this team to contend this year, they need a stud RB.

The "overpay" argument is irrelevant and totally speculative. The market is set, Stephen Jones himself has confirmed it publicly. We don't know what Zeke's demands are or where they will settle. That's up to them and I hope they do. But if they don't, I don't like their chances of winning the NFC East, much less advancing in the playoffs.

Comment

We can all argue all day long over why they haven't won more, whose definition of elite is accurate, etc. What there is no argument about is that the Cowboys HAD a "run first" offense where the starting RB averages around 400 touches per season. Contrast that with a WR's touches and for this team to contend this year, they need a stud RB..

We'll revisit after the season..

Comment

We can all argue all day long over why they haven't won more, whose definition of elite is accurate, etc. What there is no argument about is that the Cowboys have a "run first" offense where the starting RB averages around 400 touches per season. Contrast that with a WR's touches and for this team to contend this year, they need a stud RB.

The "overpay" argument is irrelevant and totally speculative. The market is set, Stephen Jones himself has confirmed it publicly. We don't know what Zeke's demands are or where they will settle. That's up to them and I hope they do. But if they don't, I don't like their chances of winning the NFC East, much less advancing in the playoffs.

You aren't listening...

They have a "run first" offense by choice, it's a bad choice and there is no reason they have to keep doing it.....literally zero reason. IT HAS NOT WORKED.

If you think a players salary is irrelevant in a salary capped league, then we are done here. Look where super bowl winning teams spend their money...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    You aren't listening...

They have a "run first" offense by choice, it's a bad choice and there is no reason they have to keep doing it.....literally zero reason. IT HAS NOT WORKED.

If you think a players salary is irrelevant in a salary capped league, then we are done here. Look where super bowl winning teams spend their money...
                    Never said player's salary is irrelevant. Look, this isn't fantasy football where teams can change their orientation and makeup on a dime. Every team is different - situation, personnel, coaching, etc., and there is no cookie cutter strategy that works for all.

Dak is a good QB and hopefully will evolve to a top tier QB, but he lacks the accuracy and defensive read skills to lead a pass oriented team to the playoffs. Especially this season. So if your theory is that it doesn't matter if the Boys have a great RB because they're not going to win this year anyway, then I get it. Ditch Zeke for a cheaper option and start the re-build.

I don't think the Cowboys are going for that - they want to compete now.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                      Most relevant post so far

Comment

If we don't have Zeke the Cowboys can kiss those superbowl aspirations goodbye. You think Morris, Pollard, Jackson, or any combo there of will draw a stacked box like Zeke will? Without Zeke the whole focus of the defense changes, not to mention those three together can't touch his talent out of the backfield. I don't blame him for wanting a new contract now and holding out, hes gonna get another 350-400 touches this year if Dallas is going to do anything. Why take that beating and not get paid market value?

Comment

Dak is a good QB and hopefully will evolve to a top tier QB, but he LACKED the accuracy and defensive read skills to lead a pass oriented team to the playoffs.

We'll revisit after the season..

Look, this isn't fantasy football where teams can change their orientation and makeup on a dime. Every team is different - situation, personnel, coaching, etc., and there is no cookie cutter strategy that works for all.

If Tyron stays healthy and with Frederick back I think they can handle their own in the passing game protection once again. Connor Williams put on 20 lbs and good mass and is hovering around 315-320. He looks the part of an NFL lineman, has the skills to be an NFL lineman.... all he lacked was some size and strength last year. Looks like he did what we needed. I like our chances with the Oline.

They added a better slot in Cobb IMO, have a full offseason with Amari and then Gallup is one more year experienced. Jarwin added another year and offseason, Witten is back and Dak seems to have worked his *** off on his accuaracy issues. I think Jerry and Stephen did a bang up job adding Kitna to train Dak and put them in the position to make the jump. Moore ...well ...we'll see. I think they have the pieces to not rely so heavily on the 1st down and 10 run.

Comment

If they don't sign Zeke, I hope you are right. But I suspect it will mean I sell a few more of our season game tickets and go deer hunting instead. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Comment

Hell trade him and get something good for him In my eyes

Comment

Sure are a lot of folks acting like it’s no big deal if Zeke wasn’t here. I don’t care who’s calling the offense, if you don’t have a quarterback to execute it then it ain’t gunna work. Has anyone noticed how many times our qb gets sacked because he holds onto the ball with guys running wide open all over the field?

I’m sure hoping that something clicks with Dak this year and he starts seeing the field and is able to hit a guy 20 yards down it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X